why do so many people hate hsc english? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I read this forum and notice a lack in understanding.

Firstly, marks in English are determined from the following:
- understanding of the text (this can be YOUR OWN understanding)
- ability to write
- understanding of the concept

Secondly, the subject is based on interpretation, not "bullshit".

I really don't like it when people bag English. It is a good subject if taught and approached correctly.
not when teachers don't like "your own" understanding and give you a shit mark
and it is bullshit, you read something and you essentially have to infer some shit about it that isn't there

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
not when teachers don't like "your own" understanding and give you a shit mark
and it is bullshit, you read something and you essentially have to infer some shit about it that isn't there
Postmodernism. Death of the author. Supported arguments. yadda yadda yadda.

nifkeh

HSC
Because the majority of the people on this forum are Asian - including me.
I'm pretty sure anyone of any background, including those from a background where English was the first and only language taught at home and in extended family won't absolutely love english lit or HSC English

not everyone wants to do something they're made to do :p

Bobbo1

HSC
is it really that bad,then why is it compulsary
Reason being that when it wasn't compulsory there were a lot of students without any English communication skills entering into some very demanding careers, i.e. going into study medicine without being able to clearly communicate, going to commerce without any report writing skills etc etc. I can see why people don't like the STRUCTURE of the course but as a subject it should definitely be compulsory...

yus456

HSC
N/A
OH MY GOD! Do not get me started. I got a high B (16/20) for an essay and then I sent the same essay to my teacher to have it improved and she said it was a high C response. LIKE WHAT THE HELL? I DIDN'T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean English isn't a bad subject but the HSC English syllabus isn't very good at all.

Last edited:

terzho

HSC
It's because it's the only subject that's compulsory and every year math/science nerds neglect it and their ATAR's sink because of it whilst people that just don't complain and play the game laugh at them whilst they go "omg english is so bull, it's not even useful in real life they should teach people how to spell and stuff"

moocow920

HSC
I think a revised version more applicable to daily life should be compulsory, but I don't think it should be compulsory for your ATAR because it needlessly drags down the ATARs of people. Like for example someone who puts lots of work into english, and gets band 6 for every other subject, even if they achieve a perfectly fine band 5 in english it still drags them down significantly in many cases.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a revised version more applicable to daily life should be compulsory, but I don't think it should be compulsory for your ATAR because it needlessly drags down the ATARs of people. Like for example someone who puts lots of work into english, and gets band 6 for every other subject, even if they achieve a perfectly fine band 5 in english it still drags them down significantly in many cases.
I agree. It should remain compulsory, but not added to the ATAR.

The HSC English syllabus encourages memorisation.

isakvaltersen

HSC
because it's completely subjective and a load of bullshit. half of us hate english but we're forced to do it which makes us hate it even more. fucking wish it wasn't compulsory

civianortiz

HSC
A lot of my peers dislike HSC English, mainly because it is mandatory

MrSir

HSC
N/A
boooraang.
gaaaay.
waste of timeee.

compulsory. :(
That boomerang question was brilliant wasn’t it ? it was so clear and I like the way a storm and a boomerang are linked so well

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
That boomerang question was brilliant wasn’t it ? it was so clear and I like the way a storm and a boomerang are linked so well
But you are an English teacher MrSir. Us Stem kids find it hard =(

MrSir

HSC
N/A
But you are an English teacher MrSir. Us Stem kids find it hard =(
oh sorry . I didn’t intend to upset you . I apologise for that . I just heard a few talking about how they I liked it and I hadn’t heard that some didnt

i am sorry I had no intention of upsetting those of you who didn’t lik3 it

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
oh sorry . I didn’t intend to upset you . I apologise for that . I just heard a few talking about how they I liked it and I hadn’t heard that some didnt

i am sorry I had no intention of upsetting those of you who didn’t lik3 it
Oh no Sir I'm not upset at all. I was just being over dramatic haha =)

MrSir

HSC
N/A
Oh no Sir I'm not upset at all. I was just being over dramatic haha =)
well you succeeded in that . I wish I could give you 10 ATAR.poiints for Excellence in being over dramatic

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
well you succeeded in that . I wish I could give you 10 ATAR.poiints for Excellence in being over dramatic
I wish! That would at least give me an atar of 100+ =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)