why do so many people hate hsc english? (1 Viewer)

laurencelaw

HSC
everything I read and watch relates to belonging, it just drives me insane. I am one of the biggest bookworms but barely read anymore. it's actually that bad.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I hate how english is so subjective.

I do legal, economics and business and yes to an extent you can be bias however English is just so bias.

My teacher disagrees with alot of my essays. Nothing is constant

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I hate how english is so subjective.

I do legal, economics and business and yes to an extent you can be bias however English is just so bias.

My teacher disagrees with alot of my essays. Nothing is constant
English uses a different style of essay to other subjects. Maybe your English essays just aren't that good.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Some get full marks some get 15/20 depends on the teacher.
There's less consistency in some schools, but you can blame the teachers, not the system. HSC markers are rarely beyond two marks of each other.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
But when it gets to 5 marks, that kinds of bugs me.

I can write legal, economics and business essays very well and I know definitively what gets a high mark. Whereas english can be sujective and you may get low markets

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
its actually pretty biased. my teacher told me some HSC markers often deduct marks for those people who write in huge paragraphs because markers usually read really quickly and give more marks to people who write in shorter paragraphs (short answer questions) cus they see things clearer.

It is also subjective, every answer can be right, all you need to do is put in the technique.

AND IT IS NOT AN EASY SUBJECT (advance english or standard).

2xL

HSC
1. It's boring.
2. The marking is bullshit and too subjective.
3. It's quite hard.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
its actually pretty biased. my teacher told me some HSC markers often deduct marks for those people who write in huge paragraphs because markers usually read really quickly and give more marks to people who write in shorter paragraphs (short answer questions) cus they see things clearer.
Shorter paragraphs generally result in better structure. I'd say that's more of a reason that just because it's hard to read.

Syrrah

HSC
HSC english is bad because you are forced to deconstruct every text you ever loved. It's like slowly pulling off the skin of a loved one to see their insides.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC english is bad because you are forced to deconstruct every text you ever loved. It's like slowly pulling off the skin of a loved one to see their insides.
Not if your teacher picks texts you never liked in the first place :p

But it's a trap to fall into when picking your related texts.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think so many people dislike it due to a combination of reasons:

1) english is compulsary (and adv english is compulsary at some schools) so people who didn't like english in the first place have to do it.
2) it's pretty subjective so there can be discrepancies in the marking, people feel like they've been treated unfairly etc.
3) It is virtually impossible to argue your mark and gain extra marks
4) unlike ext english - there are so many modules and essays to balance

I'm glad it's over, adv english has caused me some pain in the past year - but i'll probably end up missing it...
Sounds about right.

English is a pretty lame subject and few people are actually interested in analysing a few texts.

HSC
Because some people have the attitude that analysing texts doesn't help you in life. Also, there's really no 'right' answer like maths.

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
The same reasons why many hate maths and science and then drop it after Yr 10
+ The fact that you can't give it up.

For me personally: It'll drag down my ATAR by 5 points.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I am in the minority that I actually enjoyed aspects of HSC English. Parts of the syllabus I'm not as keen on, and sometimes the texts I had to do. But it's not often people actually enjoy analysing poetry and the like.

I actually look through the prescribed list and think I would have really enjoyed studying some of the other options.

I am with the people stating they don't like people bagging on English. If it was easy, everyone could do well. There is a skill in the ability to write and synthesise understanding.

Verify

HSC
Because the majority of the people on this forum are Asian - including me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)