why do so many people hate hsc english? (2 Viewers)

shady145

Banned
HSC
its boring, it requires personal response :(
teachers arn't motivating
teachers think their opinions are the only correct ones
i am a male

Klutsov

HSC
Cos it involves:
  1. Reading
  2. Writing
  3. Thinking
  4. Pretending we care about a crappy movie/book/poem/etc. that we have dissected for the past year, and still don't understand what irony is
  5. Attempting to be creative
  6. ruining your passive viewing/reading/listening experiences for the rest of your life
AND its compulsory

random-1005

Banned
HSC
im in year 10 and like reading alot,but what ive read from this site,it seems that the hsc english course is really bad or just plain evil.

is it more about memory,creativity,interpretation or mix of the 3 to get top marks?
you will find out soon enough. lol english teachers are just drop outs, out of all subjects english teachers are just shit, english is for the people that are too shit to teach anything else, and can you people imagine the unemployment rate if english wasnt compulsory ;)

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Yeh, the marks are a coin toss, work put in doesnt determine mark, it's completely random. The ridiculous over analysis of everything and the fact it is all philosophical and not actually working with fact or knowledge like other subjects.
100% correct

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
The worst subject ever.
The worst subject ever.
The worst subject ever.

The WORST subject ever.

pman

Banned
HSC
Cos it involves:
  1. Reading
  2. Writing
  3. Thinking
  4. Pretending we care about a crappy movie/book/poem/etc. that we have dissected for the past year, and still don't understand what irony is
  5. Attempting to be creative
  6. ruining your passive viewing/reading/listening experiences for the rest of your life
AND its compulsory
so true

jassono

HSC
I absolutely love English-People on this forum hate it because they are maths people (?), sorry to say
I looked at the resources section just a few minutes ago, at some complex worksheet, and it made me ill just thinking about maths. It's good though that you appreciate english. Certainly for me it boosted my atar incredibly, in the face of my maths marks being really low

philphie

Banned
HSC
I absolutely love English-People on this forum hate it because they are maths people (?), sorry to say
I looked at the resources section just a few minutes ago, at some complex worksheet, and it made me ill just thinking about maths. It's good though that you appreciate english. Certainly for me it boosted my atar incredibly, in the face of my maths marks being really low
people hate hsc english because the way it is taught is quite pathetic and so is the course work.

HSC
the fact that one techer might mark your essay 17/20, however the teacher you have marks it 14/20. Hence, everyone in the other classes is beating your ass (to an extent), while you're comming last. Ahh, english is so subjective!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
the fact that one techer might mark your essay 17/20, however the teacher you have marks it 14/20. Hence, everyone in the other classes is beating your ass (to an extent), while you're comming last. Ahh, english is so subjective!
This.
The degree of subjectivity in English is much higher compared to even social sciences and histories.
Also, creative writing is a talent rather than something you can work at (we can improve our essay writing through hardcore practise but creative writing skills require a degree of natural talent).

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
LIES. hsc english is so useful after school. the skills you derive from hsc english can be used at uni, work, life in general and beyond!

nah jokes hsc english is pretty pointless :p

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In theory, it works perfectly fine. Year 11 and 12 are about developing your critical skills, being able to engage in the messages being put forward. This is incredibly important in a world filled with misleading media and advertising. Being able to deconstruct what is actually being said, and being able to argue your own opinions is highly important, regardless of the industry you're in.

The problem is, students aren't getting the foundations right in earlier years. So you get to year 12, and then your asked to critically engage with a text and you don't have the meta language to do it. You don't have the language structure to formulate an argument and you don't have the punctuate skills to make your sentences flow. So you end up cobbling together notes you've taken from other peoples analysis and memorising an essay that's been written before the exam that may or may not answer the question. And this sort of behaviour is encouraged by many top tier schools, where essay and creative sharing is rampant.

The problem is the execution, not the subject.

ahdil33

HSC
In theory, it works perfectly fine. Year 11 and 12 are about developing your critical skills, being able to engage in the messages being put forward. This is incredibly important in a world filled with misleading media and advertising. Being able to deconstruct what is actually being said, and being able to argue your own opinions is highly important, regardless of the industry you're in.

The problem is, students aren't getting the foundations right in earlier years. So you get to year 12, and then your asked to critically engage with a text and you don't have the meta language to do it. You don't have the language structure to formulate an argument and you don't have the punctuate skills to make your sentences flow. So you end up cobbling together notes you've taken from other peoples analysis and memorising an essay that's been written before the exam that may or may not answer the question. And this sort of behaviour is encouraged by many top tier schools, where essay and creative sharing is rampant.

The problem is the execution, not the subject.
Critical thinking and analysing skills may be important, but why are we forced to do it on some texts we hate or don't care about? There has to be a better way of doing it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Critical thinking and analysing skills may be important, but why are we forced to do it on some texts we hate or don't care about? There has to be a better way of doing it
There has to be some sort of uniformity, otherwise there would be no yardstick for comparison. Not everyone is going to like every text. And sometimes, you do have to analyse things you don't like, because that's how things will be in life.

It's not perfect, but it makes sense. My advice is to try and find something enjoyable about the text your studying. And if you can't, try to pick related material where you can.

HSC
I bloody hate English so much.... I usually get so bored in english that my head just lays it on my desk and I doze off. :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)