• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

why do you guys diss arts degrees (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
lol maybe so... but you do need to be hardworking and remotely intelligent to get a uai around the mid to high 80's
false. 10char.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
shannonm said:
omg what r u talking about arts is the hardest degrees there are
u spend so much time partying and getting drunk (god that 10 contact horus a week is KILLER, man!) its so hard to pass exams and finish assignments when u are always drunk and too hungover to go to lectures

arts is the by far the most difficult.
lol you are an idiot, i do both business type subjects and arts/psychology type subjects and i do more at home work for arts subjects than i do for business type subjects altogether.

Have you ever heard of readings? lol

S

Shuter

Yeah, all you need to do instead is pick English Extension 2, Ancient/Modern History + Exensions, Society and Culture , and your free choice of one of numerous bludge subjects.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Could a person doing like the 5 scaling subjects + Adv English and only get 50's get a higher UAI than someone who does lower scaling subjects, but gets 80's or even 90's
No, I barely got my UAI with a 65 from 2 unit Extension 1 Maths, and a 53 Extension 2 Maths (which didn't count).

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
natstar said:
fuck art students do read heaps..My room mate is an arts student, and she reads SOOO much

damn right! soo glad im not doing anymore "arts" subjects anymore

im just doing psychology and business+statistic type subjects now! yay :D

shannonm

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Could a person doing like the 5 scaling subjects + Adv English and only get 50's get a higher UAI than someone who does lower scaling subjects, but gets 80's or even 90's
hell no.
the difference is not that great

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
politics, policy writing, languages - PR, journalsim, foriegn affairs, legislation drafting, ONA, ASIO

history, english, - teaching

sociology, demography - ABS, marketing

etc etc

Jobs are there.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
clairegirl said:
I don't see why people look down on an arts student. I mean they go through the exact same shit as everyone else... and who says arts subjects are piss easy, bullcrap, you do the same subjects as other people in different degrees except you mix them up. There are no such thing as "arts subjects" that whole stigma needs to die down, they're called languages, social sciences, media, psychology, geography, etc etc and each of these "arts subjects" have their own department. Just because you do an arts degree does not mean you have to do these "arts- subjects". I know arts degree students that do the same subjects as people doing commerce, science degrees.

And people say what kind of skills do you gain from an arts degree. It depends on what the student wants to gain and what subjects they've done.

An arts student gains skills in abit of everything and with today's fast paced environment, what job doesn't need this? To me and a lot of employers this is highly regarded.

All you idiots that think you can wipe your ass with an arts degree need to open your eyes.
I'm sorry, but can you inform me what other faculties offer languages, social sciences, media, literature etc other than as electives from the arts faculty.

And I've moved on from dissing BA's. There are now a new breed of future bums, and they're known as the B Arts and Sciences students.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bloody hell, are we talking about arts degrees offered by a vocational college or a university? University isn't (or shouldn't) only be about getting a job, and attending university for the sake of learning (be it within a BA or not) is just as worthwhile as attending for the career prospects.

Grow up, please.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Shuter said:
Yeah, all you need to do instead is pick English Extension 2, Ancient/Modern History + Exensions, Society and Culture , and your free choice of one of numerous bludge subjects.
"All" you need to do? Do you have any idea how challenging most of those subjects are? Ancient scales down, modern doesn't scale that well. English Ext 2 only scales well if you get a whopper of a mark, and the only reason that is so common is because the majority of students who choose this subject realise that it's a lot of work and that they will be compared to only the best english students.

You can get great marks doing these subjects, but not by cruising through with 50s. They all have huge workloads.

HSC
My sister did an arts degree (averaged a credit) and basically immediately after she finished she was hired by publishing company in a marketing role for $28 000, which, isn't great :( But she's been told that if she stays with the business for a couple of years she'll get a promotion...

I'm considering doing an arts degree as an 'extra' to economics or law. Im not sure if it will get a job, but it seems like one of the few interestoing courses that unis offer (to me, anyway...)

mischaa

HSC
N/A
My cousin did an Arts degree with majors in Economics and Political Science. She also did some Computer Science subjects.

She chose to do the degree because she was looking for something that would allow her to study what interested her as she hadn't made a career choice.

She got a UAI in the high 90s too. She got a distinction average at Uni and had something like 5-6 job offers before she finished her last semester (and she didn't do honours).

I don't think someone hires you just because of the degree you completed. My cousin is smart and she's pretty impressive when you talk to her. She's done very well professionally and would have done well regardless of what degree she did.

bearpooh

Godel is God
HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
My sister did an arts degree (averaged a credit) and basically immediately after she finished she was hired by publishing company in a marketing role for $28 000, which, isn't great :( But she's been told that if she stays with the business for a couple of years she'll get a promotion...
$28 000 !
LOL !

Waitresses get paid more !

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
bearpooh said:
People who can't do anything else do arts degrees.
People who CAN do something which is not covered by its own degree do arts degrees. You can't do a Bachelor of History, for example. People who have specific aims that aren't covered by their own degrees do an arts degree and major in their area of interest.

Kierkegaard

HSC
And I've moved on from dissing BA's. There are now a new breed of future bums, and they're known as the B Arts and Sciences students.
Don't knock the BA/BSc!
I'm doing BA/BSc with marks that equate to a UAI of 99.95 or 100 (got offered one of the USyd scholarships for UAI's 99.95 or 100). BA/BSc is the ultimate intellectual degree program! You're just jealous because you couldn't handle it. :cool:

I have a meal-ticket in maths and philosophy majors.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I think that's enough. There's too many people viewing this forum today. Closed for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)