Why is 0! = 1? (1 Viewer)

Famine

HSC
Im here working through the binomial theorem, and I come across 0! (zero to the factorial) is equal to 1. Just curious, how is this so? I just cant comprehend how it could equal anything other than 0.

:)

serge

HSC
Famine said:
Im here working through the binomial theorem, and I come across 0! (zero to the factorial) is equal to 1. Just curious, how is this so? I just cant comprehend how it could equal anything other than 0.

:)
its probably a problem created by the fact nCo=1

eg. 1c0= 1 in the other form 1!/ [0!(1)!] since that MUST=1

0! must= 1 aswell

klaw

HSC
n!=n*(n-1)!
.:n!/n=(n-1)!

When n=1, RHS=0! LHS=1
.:0!=1

Last edited:

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Yes, it's very strange, never thought about that before. I think it's because factorial is used mostly in permutation so you define it in terms of permutation. For example, what is the permutation of zero things? 1 way of doing it right?

Famine

HSC
serge said:
its probably a problem created by the fact nCo=1

eg. 1c0= 1 in the other form 1!/ [0!(1)!] since that MUST=1

0! must= 1 aswell

Yeah, thats the exact instance I am looking at. Oh well, I will just have to accept it then haha. :rolleyes:

edit: good point MAICHI :)

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
Yes, it's very strange, never thought about that before. I think it's because factorial is used mostly in permutation so you define it in terms of permutation. For example, what is the permutation of zero things? 1 way of doing it right?
The permutation of zero is 0? Since there are no things to permute...
Depends on the type of 0.

perm. of zero thing = 0
perm. of zero things = 0! = 0+1 = 2-1 = 2/2 = (0/0)! = e<sup>0</sup>

EDIT: Ignore (0/0)! :D

Last edited:

Famine

HSC
Stefano said:
The permutation of zero is 0? Since there are no things to permute...
Depends on the type of 0.

perm. of zero thing = 0
perm. of zero things = 0! = 0+1 = 2-1 = 2/2 = (0/0)! = e<sup>0</sup>

but (0/0) does not equal 1, as it is not a finite number ;)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
klaw said:
n!=n*(n-1)!

When n=0, RHS=0! LHS=1
Works fine. But I think you meant n=1. :p

Stefano, in how many ways can we do nothing? 1 isn't it? I know it's a bit abstract.

Last edited:

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
Stefano, in how many ways can we do nothing? 1 isn't it? I know it's a bit abstract.
I would of thought the answer would be either:

1. 0
2. Infinite
3. Something in between the last two.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
klaw said:
n!=n*(n-1)!

When n=1, RHS=0! LHS=1
That is not a proof. There is no proof. It is a definition.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
"Because the number of permutations of 0 elements is 1, (zero factorial) is defined as 1 (Wells 1986, p. 31). This definition is useful in expressing many mathematical identities in simple form."

- Wolfram's MathWorld

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Stefano said:
I would of thought the answer would be either:

1. 0
2. Infinite
3. Something in between the last two.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?
For example, if I have 1 apple and 1 banana, how many ways can I eat them. I can eat the banana first then the apple, or I can eat the apple first then the banana. Hence there are 2 ways.

Now I only have a banana, how many ways can I eat this? I can only eat the banana, so 1 way.

Now imagine I want to eat nothing, how many ways can I eat nothing? 1 way right? It can't be 0 because that would mean I can NOT eat nothing!!

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
For example, if I have 1 apple and 1 banana, how many ways can I eat them. I can eat the banana first then the apple, or I can eat the apple first then the banana. Hence there are 2 ways.

Now I only have a banana, how many ways can I eat this? I can only eat the banana, so 1 way.

Now imagine I want to eat nothing, how many ways can I eat nothing? 1 way right? It can't be 0 because that would mean I can NOT eat nothing!!
So I was correct! ;)

PS. Nicely explained.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
MAICHI said:

Next time you plan on eating nothing, tell me. I'd like to see it. :p

r.haidar

not crusin til schoolies!
HSC
MAICHI said:

thats actually a really good way of thinking of it... lets say u have nothing... thats still something... its 1 thing... its 1 of "nothing"... get it ? lol its a hard concept... and u should probably post in 4u "extra cirricular maths" because the people there are really smart at deriving thigs... they prove shit like 1+1=2 and:

( a + b ) + c = a + ( b + c )

so go there n ask otherwise just accept it haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)