Why is Harry Potter so crap? (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Well the first three books - philsophers stone, chamber of secrets and the prisoner of azakaban were quite good. But after that the plot was really repititive.

Whats worse are the movies - horrible characterisation, ridiculous acting in general by all those acting. Whats worse - I have a feeling the books now being written- are being written for the movie rather than a proper novel in itself.

If you see other novels such LOTR - where I guess it is not a series but the movie was just outstanding.

Any reason why the novels now being written and the movies are well below par? I mean I stopped reading after the Goblet of Fire, and watched all 4 movies - only cause surprisingly I was forced into it - (cause of my brother) - but I felt all the movies didnt reflect the book and was just in general crap.

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A
Snape Kills Dumbledore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
i agree. i finished the last one (that i read) thinking that it wasn't edited and flawed in several parts, repeptitive, boring, long-winded and angsty.
it was disappointing and i think that her fame has left ppl thinking that her stuff doenst need to be edited etc. you may also be right about the movie making the film but i think a fundamental flaw is that she has very little clue how to do teenagers now that all her characters have grown beyond the relatively simple child character.

/ramble

turtleface

HSC
I agree that the standard of the movies are shocking. But then most movie adaptations of much loved books suck.

Well the first three books - philsophers stone, chamber of secrets and the prisoner of azakaban were quite good. But after that the plot was really repititive.
Well its hard to keep it fresh after so many books. I personally disliked the more serious themes of the latter books but hey...that doesn't mean they are crap. Star Trek went on for like 700 episodes. I still like it despite its repetition :)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Shit thread, lock & ban
I dont know - there were some rapid replies. lol.

Yeah I mean rowling needs something different - another novel apart from the harry potter series - just drag some attention away and try make something else.

J

jhakka

Captain Gh3y said:
Shit thread, lock & ban
Only when it gets to the point of trolling and "LOLOLOL HARRY POTTER IS GAYZ!"

Until then I have no reason to close this thread.

HotShot: Rather than trying to make a point with a thread title that's obviously intended to push the boundaries of close/delete/ban or whatever, why not just come up with something that makes it less likely for any of these to happen? The content of the thread is fine, but you should really be more thoughtful with you titles. Thnx.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LOLOLOL HARRY POTTER IS GAYZ! omfg-wtf-bahahahahaha

Doesn't matter, i still enjoy reading the series. If you were seriously against the 'crapness' of harry potter in general you always have the option of not buying or reading the books. If you want a book that isn't repetitive then maybe look towards higher-culture 'dead white male's' texts such as Milton, Chaucer, Shakespeare and co?

Harry Potter is successful because it caters to a specific audience that is intrigued by notions of magical wizardry and the very understated way Rowling describes Harry's great life and its adventures. Stop reading it please and make another attempt at a non-cliche observation. Thanks.

Pilgrim

HSC
Harry potter is a great series. but i agree, the later books seem to be written for the movies. One main thing is how she doesn't reall include Peeves into the 6th book, which i think is because he isnt in the movies.

Plus the movies are directed at children whereas the books at teens. Slowly she has changed her target audience from teen to kiddies. Unfortunetely the book has lowered because of the hype, especially from the younger ones. There was heeps of presure form parents not to include any sexual content in the later books because of young kids reading it. plus i think the books past 4 would have been maybe abit more serious, having themes that weren't for children and there may have been abit more gore.

oh well its good overall in my opinion.

plus the third and fourth movies should have all been done by the same director.

BlackDragon

HSC
Pilgrim said:
Plus the movies are directed at children whereas the books at teens. Slowly she has changed her target audience from teen to kiddies.
that is true. but i'd say its because her writing has matured along with harry's age. in that, as he has got older her writing has become progressively darker and focused on older audiences to reflect the changed nature of her content. and this is a good thing.

Pilgrim

HSC
BlackDragon said:
that is true. but i'd say its because her writing has matured along with harry's age. in that, as he has got older her writing has become progressively darker and focused on older audiences to reflect the changed nature of her content. and this is a good thing.
Barely darker. If she continued in the same nature as the first four she would have made the books more gory and have more adult themes. The 6th book for instance was a watered down version of what it could have been.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
PaleReflection said:
She does plan to write more, once HP is finished. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling#After_Harry_Potter

OFFICIAL HARRY POTTER ENCYLOPEDIA OMG
Whats the point of writing when its finished? I mean writing one whilst writing Harry Potter, it will allow to explore some new themes and better plots rather then writing the same thing, just in different ways.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
HotShot said:
Whats the point of writing when its finished? I mean writing one whilst writing Harry Potter, it will allow to explore some new themes and better plots rather then writing the same thing, just in different ways.
Because obsessive 13 year old fanboys and 16 year old fangirls like us want to know every little detail of every freaking thing in the whole entire potterverse. That's why.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Because obsessive 13 year old fanboys and 16 year old fangirls like us want to know every little detail of every freaking thing in the whole entire potterverse. That's why.
She could do that a bit better if she wrote a novel away from the Harry Potter series - something a little different - to grasp better writing styles.

Pilgrim

HSC
No matter what the fuck she writes, unless its another harry potter or harry potter related, it will be criticised no matter how good it is.

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
i agree the movies are shit, but the books are getting better i reckon, more dark magic and combat and magical duelling and shit. and we're getting to know more about voldemort. and the spells are so much more awesome, after book 3, like the unforgivable curses and the sectumsempra one.

u should read some of the wikipedia articles, they full talk about the series as if its all completely real. i mean, there was a dark wizard gindelwald or something that dumbledore defeated in 1945, which happens to be the end of WWII, and wikipedia suggests that grindelwald was the leader of the magical wing of the third reich.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
if Rowling write another book while wrting Harry Potter - she will drive away criticism from potter books!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)