• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Medicine harder to get in than Law? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithela

HSC
Acceptance into medicine requires high uai, umat and interview whereas Law only requires a high uai. If most people consider both degrees just as prestige as each other, then why is it more difficult to get in Medicine? I understand why the umat and interview is used for medicine as it requires doctors to solve problems, communicate well with patients, identify puzzles and what not. But isnt that the same for law? Solve problems, communicate with cilents...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Because many people aren't stupid enough to pick a degree because of prestige.

Remember, you are going to be working in that field for 40 years...

~kiki

HSC
I would have thought the answer would be fairly obvious... Make a mistake as a doctor and someone may die.... make a mistake as a lawyer and your client may end up in prison for a couple of years. Still, better then dying. Unless of course they were involved in some kind of underworld crime ring.. but aside from that.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
~kiki said:
I would have thought the answer would be fairly obvious... Make a mistake as a doctor and someone may die.... make a mistake as a lawyer and your client may end up in prison for a couple of years. Still, better then dying. Unless of course they were involved in some kind of underworld crime ring.. but aside from that.
Well that's not really anything to do with it. The government regulates medical spots, it doesnt regulate law places.

Arithela

HSC
In this particular case I am assuming people only pick medicine or law, but that didnt answer the question.

loser101

HSC
question should be asked do we need as many lawyers as we are producing?

qn: how many times have you seen a lawyer, and how many times have you seen a doctor?

and do doctors (especially the GP's) really need a UAI of 99.999999 to be accepted? anyone with a uai of 95 and can pass the med course and placements deserves to be a doctor if he wants.

but instead we have to import indian doctors, who cant speak english for shit

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
question should be asked do we need as many lawyers as we are producing?

qn: how many times have you seen a lawyer, and how many times have you seen a doctor?

and do doctors (especially the GP's) really need a UAI of 99.999999 to be accepted? anyone with a uai of 95 and can pass the med course and placements deserves to be a doctor if he wants.

but instead we have to import indian doctors, who cant speak english for shit
Good answer. But we also import doctors from the middle east and eastern europe. I believe the indian doctors have better english than those from elsewhere (non english speaking countries).

But i'd definitely rather that more aussie trained doctors were working here than o/s trained ones.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
cos the places are more expensive for the govt. and the training is longer and in theory more expensive.

subcontinent region doctors statistically perform better in the English component than far eastern doctors... and perform better in the medicine section than the UK trained doctors.. in the aust med council accreditation exams
thus statistically they are the best option for Overseas trained doctors.

/end.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
To support pointdexter's argument, I read somewhere that each doctor costs the Australian government $1million to support through uni. And also because doctors actually hold some sort of control over people's lives. Hence, you need to screen prospective doctors so that you don't get psychopaths (and Dr Death type scenarios).

There are also a lot fewer total places in med schools so more stringent selection processes are required. If it was based on UAI alone then the cutoff would be about 99.8-99.85 as it is for the University for Melbourne. And, really, what's the difference between someone who gets 99.75 and 99.8 apart from 1 or 2 marks in a HSC exam.

Edit: And also to weed out Asians.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Because law is really shit and only pretentious fags do it because of their parents or the money.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Because law is really shit and only pretentious fags do it because of their parents or the money.
Nah.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Why would you ask this question?

Do what you like. Full stop. If you can't make either of them, you can't make the other 99% of the time anyway.

I must agree with the asian filtration thing lol. EDIT: I'm not asian.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Law is a generalist degree; if you graduate in law, you're not necessarily going to become a lawyer. It opens up many varied careers paths.

If you graduate from medicine however, it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll become a doctor. UMAT and the interviews, in addition to cutting down the number of accepted applicants, ensure that the applicants accepted have the aptitude, interest and preresquite skills required for the effective study of medicine. In theory, this produces better trained doctors, from a diverse range of backgrounds.

Graney said:
This is also true. I know this fag's going to be torn up every time he sees his colossal bank balance inflating weekly. :(

Oh wait, that's an awesome thing. Ahahahahaha. Bitter much?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
This is also true. I know this fag's going to be torn up every time he sees his colossal bank balance inflating weekly. :(

Oh wait, that's an awesome thing. Ahahahahaha. Bitter much?
hahahaa

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Money is nothing.

Do what you are interested in. That way you LOVE what you do and have a better chance at succeeding in it.

The top of any field is bound to get paid well. Money should not be an issue.

Che08

HSC
markzada said:
Money is nothing.

Do what you are interested in. That way you LOVE what you do and have a better chance at succeeding in it.

The top of any field is bound to get paid well. Money should not be an issue.
It'd be nice if that were true.. but to most people money is life.

I 100% agree with you on the do something you love argument

- no one wants to have a grumpy doctor, or a lawyer thats only there for the money and doesnt care who he hurts to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)