• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Medicine harder to get in than Law? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

44Ronin

HSC
Karl Marx said:
I'm glad that the left and right can agree on such an important issue to make sure "44Ronin" never posts again.

Bipartisan at its best.
Left wing, Right wing - I want someTHING!

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
WHY IS MEDICINE HARDER TO GET INTO THAN LAW?

lol the roots of this thread...

Che Guevara

HSC
N/A
Karl Marx said:
I'm glad that the left and right can agree on such an important issue to make sure "44Ronin" never posts again.

Bipartisan politics at its best.
OMG YOU ARE MY HERO!
I used to wear shirts of you when I was a teenager!

44Ronin

HSC
TheMelissa said:
WHY IS MEDICINE HARDER TO GET INTO THAN LAW?

lol the roots of this thread...
Cause the UAI is teh higher.........noob.:D

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
well, the Rudd government has been said to be investing more in universities for health science, thus expanding Medical places and lowering the uai slightly. As Smart & perceptive people usually automatically create the connotation of the ideal doctor, intellect is'nt the only indicator of a persons drive and motivation to help their fellow man. + with some peoples concerns about the influx of international students within these courses - the government is going to regulate the entry of these applicants :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: which is a ++++++ for Australian Under & Post Graduates. I know iam happy.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
markzada said:
The best thing about law is that you can talk shit and still make money. You can't do that in medicine. But its for slimy, dirty people who will take any shortcut to take advantage of every opportunity that is put in front of them in order to maintain the maximum benefit for themselves. Very selfish sort of career really.
thats a lie...

u can talk shit in medicine too ... thats why it takes so long to get doctors deregistered.. meh both make money from ppl's misfortunes.. difference is.. doctors some how make it look good.

xoa

HSC
1/ Medical training positions are tightly regulated, unlike law. It's a significant achievement to get into medicine at any Aussie uni, but there are a few Aussie unis which have very lax requirements for law.

2/ It will be a cold day in hell when an Australian medical graduate can't gain an internship. Look at how desperate Queensland Health is to have (accused terrorist) Dr Haneef[SIZE=-1][/SIZE] working again. But there are plenty of law graduates, even at the Go8 unis, who can't find a job in law.

3/ There are many dramas glamorising doctors. There are no more Ally McBeals.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If nothing else, interviews can be justified on the basis of trying to assess commitment. When a student drops out later in the course you can't simply replace them, so each drop out means one less potential doctor. Why would this be an issue? Consider that the elderly soak up most of our healthcare funding and resources and that we have an ageing population (--> baby boomers). It makes sense to assess whether students are going to go the whole way in order to stave off future social maladies. Also, while you don't have to be a genius to study medicine, you would want to either have a natural knack for memorising or a high tolerance for a large amount of study because there is a massive amount of content to learn. Interviews can also help to determine tolerance for stress and high workloads (albeit imperfectly).

partelephant said:
To support pointdexter's argument, I read somewhere that each doctor costs the Australian government $1million to support through uni.
I suspect that figure is more likely to represent what the government has to pay (annually I've heard?) in order to cover a doctor's salary + all the PBS subsidies for the medications they prescribe. I'm extremely doubtful that medical students cost that much.

Kevin Rudd PM

HSC
HMF said:
well, the Rudd government has been said to be investing more in universities for health science, thus expanding Medical places and lowering the uai slightly. As Smart & perceptive people usually automatically create the connotation of the ideal doctor, intellect is'nt the only indicator of a persons drive and motivation to help their fellow man. + with some peoples concerns about the influx of international students within these courses - the government is going to regulate the entry of these applicants :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: which is a ++++++ for Australian Under & Post Graduates. I know iam happy.
We said no such things. Don't listen to him - all lies!!!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The serious bottom line answer to the question is because the government pays a major percentage of the very expensive medicine degree, whereas law is a degree the government contributes one of the smallest amounts to. So they don't want to admit people who will waste $$$ by dropping out or not becoming doctors in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)