Why major in Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
  • You like it and/or you're good at it. Do you really need another reason? If you need a little more convincing, read on.
  • Professional graduate schools (business, law, medicine) think it's a great major because they realize that studying mathematics develops analytical skills and the ability to work in a problem solving environment; these are skills and experience which rank high on their list of assets.
  • Jobs in the private sector abound; careers where a mathematics major is particularly well suited include:
    • Actuarial Science
    • Computer analyst or programmer
    • Cryptographer
    • Economist
    • Elementary or secondary school teaching, college professor
    • Engineering analyst
    • Information scientist
    • Marketing research analyst
    • Mathematician
    • Meteorologist
    • Numerical analyst
    • Operations research analyst
    • Statistician
    • Systems analyst
    Whether you're interested in developing models and interpreting their results, or are interested in developing efficient algorithms to expedite known processes, mathematics and computer science are the tools of choice.
    • Models are needed to investigate air flow across the surface of aircraft wings, chemical and biological processes, astronomical trajectories and urban development. These models need to be designed, created, the data from them collected and analyzed, conclusions drawn and predictions made from them.
    • Possibly your interest is in the construction of the model; maybe it's in what the model tells you about the situation being modelled; maybe it's in how to collect and organize the data for analysis, or maybe it's in the analysis of the data itself. Maybe your interest is in developing a system to keep the data secure, or in developing your talents to circumvent the existing security of a data system.
  • In the recent book The Jobs Rated Almanac author Les Krantz ranks 250 jobs according to six criteria: income, stress, physical demands, potential growth, job security and work environment. He obtained his data from the government, trade groups and telephone surveys. The top ten jobs according to Krantz:
    1. Web site manager
    2. Actuary
    3. Computer systems analyst
    4. Software engineer
    5. Mathematician
    6. Computer programmer
    7. Accountant
    8. Industrial engineer
    9. Hospital administrator
    10. Web developer
    Note that the jobs rated higher than Mathematician also involve significant mathematical reasoning and knowledge.
Source:

http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~astrid/why-major.html
Astrid an Huef
School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of New South Wales

EDIT:

Not convinced?

Career Profile: Maths lecturer
By Erica Watson

University of NSW (UNSW) maths lecturer Dr Chris Tisdell in classroom, in spare time produces music and works as a DJ. Picture by John Fotiadis.​

The modern-day mathematician just doesn't add up to the geeky guy with thick-rimmed glasses, according to mathematics lecturer Dr Chris Tisdell. When Tisdell isn't formulating equations, he's spinning records as a DJ and producing music.

"When I say I am a lecturer or a mathematician to people, firstly they don't really know what that means and, secondly, a lot of people grimace,'' Tisdell says.

"Doing what I do is very similar to any job; you need ideas and you need to be innovative, professional and hard-working. It is not as far removed from any other profession as people think.''

Tisdell lectures at the University of NSW, teaching mathematics to students across a variety of disciplines including industrial design, engineering, environmental engineering, life sciences and biology. It allows him a lot of freedom.

"You work on what you find interesting and the hours are good, too,'' he says.
Becoming a lecturer in mathematics is a 10-year process from high school to university and then a PhD, Tisdell says.

"You need to be committed because a lot of training is
involved. These days it is very rare for lecturers not to have PhDs,'' Tisdell explains.

"It's a bit weird when you get your first professional position at 28. But I was lucky that from 16 I knew this is what I would like to do and everything sort of fell into place. However, you really have to want to do it.''
Tisdell says a good lecturer should be able to communicate their ideas in a simple manner and be able to entertain their students.

"You need to be able to encourage people as well. A lot of people don't like maths because they don't feel they can do it,'' he says.
Tisdell teaches seven hours a week and the rest of the time is spent conducting research.

He has written 30 research papers in the field of differential equations, which describe the equations of motion, as well as treatises on the field which examines the combination of continuous and discreet mathematics.

How to be ... a maths lecturer
Most university lecturers in mathematics require an undergraduate degree followed by a PhD in maths. For further information contact the Australian Mathematical Society on (07) 3365 2313 or visit http://www.austms.org.au

By Erica Watson, The Daily Telegraph, January 14 2006.

Source: http://www.careerone.com.au/jobs/job-search/pid/1320

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
failed attempt at marketing maths.
You need to highlight the relationship between mathematics and:
$$$,sexiness and coolness

cheney31

HSC
Affinity said:
failed attempt at marketing maths.
You need to highlight the relationship between mathematics and:
$$$,sexiness and coolness
LOL id love to learn about the relationship between math and sexiness ..:D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cheney31 said:
LOL id love to learn about the relationship between math and sexiness ..:D
Some USYD professor chick wrote a book on the mathematics of sex.

Affinity

HSC
There are some real mathematics in that book though.. not much about sex per se.. but more about evolution theory/strategy
Defected from UNSW to Usyd.. has a rehashed version of optimal selection strategy assuming you examine things in order and the stable pairing theorem from graph theory.. can't remember the rest

Anyway, we need to emphasis that there are hot guys... hot girls would only attract more guys into the field, which doesn't help correct the gender imbalance.

lolokay

HSC
what are good degrees, and unis, for majoring in mathematics?

Affinity

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
science, science, science, commerce, and science @ USYD/UNSW/UTS/MQ/UWS/[insert uni here]
Thats' a non answer. Don't toss BS saying that every uni is just as good for everything.

For unis around here

ANU is pretty well rounded and good.
UNSW is strong in analysis and weaker in algebra
Usyd is strong in algebra but weaker in analysis

UTS/MQ/UWS doesn't offer enough maths subjects .. lacking important areas/depth. UWS's is especially problematic.

Wollongong is not bad, especially since it spent alot of $ uprooting the whole department from newcastle. corollary: don't go to newcastle, their maths department is hmm...

Last edited:

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Slidey said:
Some USYD professor chick wrote a book on the mathematics of sex.
Haha, reminded me of http://xkcd.com/136/

Majoring at maths sounds interesting. I think I might be heading in that direction...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
My advice is this: combine maths with something (science, philosophy, computing, english literature, whatever).

You'll go out of your mind if all you're doing is maths all day, much as you might love it.

It's definitely worth doing at uni though.

P.S. <3 xkcd

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
what are good degrees, and unis, for majoring in mathematics?
Science Advanced (Advanced Mathematics) USYD/UNSW/Macquarie

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Yeh I was hoping to do Science Advanced combined with some heavy duty maths. Except I was looking at wollongong.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Wollongong is about the only non group of 8 uni that you'd want to a maths degree at.

MacU is OK if you want to do actuarial. Otherwise, for a straight maths degree, it is basically a choice of UNSW or USYD.

If you want to move interstate you could consider ANU or Uni of Melb.

Poad

HSC
Hmm, may as well post this here, been thinking about it for a while.

I was thinking of doing Commerce (Liberal Studies) at uni next year but not really sure what to major in, as I'm not sure what exact career path I wanna take ( obviously something in the Commerce field though). Would majoring in Finance and Maths be a good idea? :\

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Slidey said:
My advice is this: combine maths with something (science, philosophy, computing, english literature, whatever).

You'll go out of your mind if all you're doing is maths all day, much as you might love it.

It's definitely worth doing at uni though.

P.S. <3 xkcd
My eight maths subjects I'm doing this year say that you're wrong :p

and I don't think Wollongong is that great for maths: last time I checked they didn't actually offer any analysis courses. For applied stuff I'd imagine it wouldn't be too bad though.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
They are about the only regional uni that seems to be improving its maths department is what I meant. The others seem to be in terminal decline.

Rumour has it that there are more honours students at UOW this year than there are at UNSW...

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Newcastle lost 4 excellent lecturers/researchers to Wollongong, not the whole department. Instead of taking the USQ route and gutting the department, Newcastle went on a mission to replace them. So far, Borwein from Dalhousie and Boland from Melbourne have moved in and started to setup/teach. Three more staff members are due in by the end of the year/beginning of next year, including Zudilin (I forget the other two sorry).

Honestly, from an undergraduate point of view, nothing really changed except that the summer research scholarships took a kick to the guts. They still have an excellent choice of subjects at an undergrad level and there are still good lecturers around (Willis is brilliant). On the other hand, if you're looking to start a PhD, then unless you had a particular project in mind with one of the staff members, then I agree Newcastle isn't rating too high at the moment. I think they deserve a lot more credit than you're giving them though ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)