Wii (2 Viewers)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
AsyLum said:
The fact the console's name is getting this much attention, without so much of a marketing strategy or budget even put into place is a genius stroke for Nintendo. Apart from a few shots, and sneak peeks, they have cooked up so much media attention for it, by merely calling it Wii.

Kudos.
I recognise the brilliance of the idea. It's working a charm in that everyone is talking about it.

However, when purely judged as a name for something so anticipated, 'Wii', to ma, just doesnt seem to cut it.

HSC
ah, brings me back to christmas of '98 (or '97, '96, '95, it was a while ago) when i first got an N64 as my first console. brings back good memories.

as of this so-called 'Wii' - well, extremely shit name, hopefully the console will be different.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Kabeio said:
Err no. GTA3 was great, vice city was crap, and san andreas was awesome.

Thas better.
allright iam not going to argue over who likes what games, my point is that consoles leave little wriggle room for improving graphics, with the 360 there is still a vast amount of untapped potential, but a year from now games will still be made for it with the same physical limitations they have today, and coding can only do so much, so basically the games will keep looking the same[hence the GTA reference]

So when HL3 comes out[dont hold your breath kiddies] it will look awesome on The average gamers PC[ 10GB of Ram, 10GHZ processor, 2GB duel GFX lol] but the xbox4 version will look shit in comparison because its using the same outdated hardware.

In th business of hardware where shit is basically redundant 18months down the track, what would you prefer, a console which is the same unchanging hardware for years on end until the release a new version, or a PC which you can physically upgrade parts every few months to keep up with the latest games at max settings?

I appreciate what nintendo has done in the past and is doing now, i really do. Its just that for alot of serious gamers, consoles do not suffice...infact alot of Pc gamers look down on console gamers as some sort os sub-par inverior version of a gamer.

and lets face it, turning games mainstream has its ups and its downes, the downes being the people who buy the sims and there 17 different expansions for 49.95 each. The upside being that producers has sink more money into a gaming project than i ever thought possible 10 years ago [ like could you imagine the size of the HL2 budget? wooow i bet valve never thought they would be playing wit hthat much money when they made HL]

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You know it might sound moderately retarded, but I kinda like it. It's simple and clean, and not nearly so clumsy and unoriginal as Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

What will be important is the logo and marketing. If they have a cool insignia for the Wii (much like Sony's Walkman logo) then people will be far more enthusiastic about it. Come on, the Japanese love nonsense names; look at Sony's Vaio and Wega.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
We don't know the full details of the Wii yet, we should wait until more information is released about the console.

I can't believe it's already been almost 10 years since the release of the N64, time flies and so does the level of technology and graphics that these newer consoles bring.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I personally can't wait, and will be pre-ordering mine sometime if I can be bothered

Collin

HSC
N/A
Nintendo 'Wii'?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

What the fuck? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :rofl:

Oh god, I just did a wee wee in my pants.

Sigh, poor Nintendo.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Woah, no need to get personal just because my opinion differs from yours.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha fair point. I wasn't annoyed at the fact that your opinion differed, I was annoyed at the fact that you didn't bother to think before forming it.

I guess it's fair though, since for video games the opinion of children actually matters. Not as much as that of adults though, since kids are essentially poor people.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hey, looks like we're both early-birds.

Anyway, remember that my over-the-top ROFLOLBBQ was in reference to the console's proposed name, not the console itself. I've been a keen fan of some Nintendo-titled franchises for as long as I can remember, but I couldn't help but find the name hilarious and perhaps a little baffling.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh.My.God.

(will post up pics and info later)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
FACT SHEET
GOLIN HARRIS
Julia Roether, (213) 623-4200, ext. 783
jroether@golinharris.com
Eileen Tanner, (509) 628-1993
etanner@golinharris.com

Wii™ CONSOLE DETAILS
Launch Date and MSRP: Q4 2006 ($TBA)

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Color: TBA

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube™ discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This “WiiConnect24” service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS™.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and even – more –
the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a “best of” selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the “sleepless” WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named “Broadway”)
Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess

Format: Wii™
Launch Date: Q4 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Adventure
Players: 1
Developer: Nintendo

KEY INFORMATION
When an evil darkness enshrouds the land of Hyrule, a young farm boy named Link must awaken the hero – and the animal – within.
• When Link travels to the Twilight Realm, he transforms into a wolf and must scour the land with the help of a mysterious girl named Midna. Using the power and unique control of the Wii console, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess features incredibly precise aiming control using the Wii Remote.
• The Wii Remote and the Nunchuk controller are used for a variety of game activities, including fishing and special sword attacks.
• Players ride into battle against troops of foul creatures using an amazing horseback combat system, then take on massive bosses that must be seen to be believed.
• Many puzzles stand between Link and the fulfillment of his quest, so players must sharpen their wits as they hunt for weapons and items.

Game storyline: Link, a young man raised as a wrangler in a small, rural village, is ordered by the mayor to attend the Hyrule Summit. He sets off, oblivious to the dark fate that has descended upon the kingdom. When he enters the Twilight Realm that has covered Hyrule, he transforms into a wolf and is captured. A mysterious figure named Midna helps him break free. With the aid of her magic, they set off to free the land from the shadows.

Characters: Link, Zelda, Midna and many other characters, both new and old.
How to progress through the game: Link must explore the vast land of Hyrule and uncover the mystery behind its plunge into darkness. As he does, he’ll have to enlist the aid of friendly folk, solve puzzles and battle his way through dangerous dungeons. In the Twilight Realm, he’ll have to use his wolf abilities and Midna’s magic to bring light to the land.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Besides his trusty sword and shield, Link will use his bow and arrows, fight while on horseback and use a wealth of other items, both new and old. Players can use the Wii Remote as a fishing pole, while a spin of the Nunchuk controller executes a spin attack.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Metroid® Prime 3: Corruption
Format: Wii™
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: First-Person Adventure
Accessories: Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller
Players: 1
Developer: Retro

KEY INFORMATION
If you think you knew what it felt like to be the bounty hunter behind the visor, think again. Take aim at evil with Nintendo’s revolutionary controller.

• Players control Samus by moving with the Nunchuk controller and aiming with the pointer, allowing for a level of immersion unlike anything they have ever experienced. Through the eyes of Samus, players experience a quantum leap in first-person control as they wield the Wii Remote, the ultimate device for the first-person shooter genre.
• Samus will employ well-known power-ups like the Grapple Beam and Morph Ball, as well as a bunch of new surprises, to help her survive her coming trials.
Game storyline: The Galactic Federation’s Base Sector Zero is under attack by Space Pirates. Samus must boot up the generator to restore the defense systems. But at the end of her path, someone awful is waiting for her.

Characters: Samus, Dark Samus, the Galactic Federation and many new bounty hunters.

How to progress through the game: The war initiated by Dark Samus and the Space Pirates rages across many planets as they attempt to corrupt each with Phazon seeds. Players use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to explore alien landscapes, hunt for weapons and information, and destroy the seeds. Saving the planets from Corruption isn’t enough, though. Eventually, players must take down Samus’ mortal enemy, Dark Samus.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Besides using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to pull off amazing feats like aiming and blasting in midair or at a full run, players also will have an array of different weapons at their disposal. In true Metroid fashion, these will become powered up as the game progresses. Not only that, but the controller will be used for a number of other game elements beyond the traditional first-person shooter standards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)