Will doing Legal Studies drag your UAI down? (1 Viewer)

Insanity

HSC
A friend of mine recently told me that even if I do quite well in Legal Studies, my UAI will dragged down? She also said if I get under 90% (Band 5) that's at least 5 'marks' off my UAI.

I'm just wondering if there's any actual truth to this ... a lot of people have advised me not to do Legal Studies as it will affect my UAI dramatically?!
The other subjects I'm doing are:
- 4U English (but unsure whether or not I'll drop down to 3U)
- 3U Maths
- Economics.

Does anybody know of anyone who has scored a high UAI (95+ ) whilst doing Legal Studies?

*paranoia sets in.*

Thanks.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Insanity said:
A friend of mine recently told me that even if I do quite well in Legal Studies, my UAI will dragged down? She also said if I get under 90% (Band 5) that's at least 5 'marks' off my UAI.
No, no.. that's just silly. The UAI is a rank, not a mark.. and to my knowledge there is no way that statement could be backed up.

Go here for a list of courses and their scaling: http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

It tells you that Legal Studies is scaled up. Although not significantly, it's still up. And I'm positive you can get much higher than a UAI of 95 with Legal Studies, especially with your other subjects.

aud

HSC
Insanity said:
Does anybody know of anyone who has scored a high UAI (95+ ) whilst doing Legal Studies?
To calm your paranoia:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tableA1-2003HSC-fin.pdf

Half way down the first page:
Legal Studies:
Max UAI received by a student doing it last year was 99.95

So there's no need to sacrifice doing a really good sub in fear of not doing well overall

mack

Banned
HSC
The whole negative scaling paranoia is rather silly. It is possible to attain a very high UAI with any subject. All you need do is turn in an exceptional performance in the subject.

mack

Banned
HSC
I know someone also who scored 98.55 with Legal Studies, and attended a school below 500. So not to worry!

santaslayer

HSC
You will be punished for producing a mediocre exam result. Other than that, you are pretty safe. :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
santaslayer said:
You will be punished for producing a mediocre exam result. Other than that, you are pretty safe. :)
santa thanks for relieving us from our worrying.

let us hope that legal won't be scaled down. but if you do average, then i suppose you get anaverage mark..eh..?

by the way, if you didn't realise, i was being sarcastic earlier on. :eek:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
santa thanks for relieving us from our worrying.

let us hope that legal won't be scaled down. but if you do average, then i suppose you get anaverage mark..eh..?

by the way, if you didn't realise, i was being sarcastic earlier on. :eek:
I have a feeling that this year, given all the boffins doing it, legal will scale up.

lexy-kate

hey i did legal studies last year and i got 94... my uai ended up being 97.15 so i dont think it does too abdly for itself.
My results were:
eng adv 91
maths 90
legal 94
modern 88
ext hist 43
ext eng 44
art 89
so my other results really werent that great and my uai wouldnt have been nearly as high if i hadnt done well in legal studies... so basically i think legal is what pulled me through, so you should be fine

pig_93

HSC
i didnt think legal is a bad scaling subject hmm
i know in the scheme of things for social science (i think this is right)
best scaling to worst is

1. economics
2. legal
3. SAC
4. Business st
5. Business services

i think im right.
i think legal is fine...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
holy shit...i somehow knew that this was an old thread...:D

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
This is kinda funny actually...this is the "chic" subject for my grade, only "cool" and intelligent people do legal...lol
But seriously:
a) if you strive to get top marks then scaling wont really affect you *that* much and
b) Legal Studies does not have bad scaling...if you want to look at a badly scaled subject, look at Arabic Beginners.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
kami said:
This is kinda funny actually...this is the "chic" subject for my grade, only "cool" and intelligent people do legal...lol
But seriously:
a) if you strive to get top marks then scaling wont really affect you *that* much and
b) Legal Studies does not have bad scaling...if you want to look at a badly scaled subject, look at Arabic Beginners.
arabic beginners, how about arabic continuers..... an 86 in that subject stuffs u up...

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i wouldnt talk like that
i want to ace legal studies
my aim is to get a band 6
dont say ur gonna coz ppl can diss u after if u dont:p

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
miss_gtr said:
idiot, i was being sarcastic, its my lowest subject next to english.........geeez mr benefactor, take a joke.
i didnt know if u were jokin
i like legal studies ok ;)
i hate 2unit maths but :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)