Will I cope in engineering "without" (Physics, Chem ext 2 maths) ??? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Was wondering how I would cope in flexible first year engineering at USYD

Will I cope in engineering "without" (Physics, Chem ext 2 maths) ???

iBibah

HSC
If there is no assumed knowledge or pre reqs then yes you can as that means they teach everything from scratch. Though my guess is those subjects might give you a very slight advantage initially. Keep in mind hsc physics and chem have a lot of crap that gets cut out in uni (effect on society etc) and you don't use everything in ext 2 maths, so you wont have too much to learn from high school.

Don't know if this is true but someone said you can cover all the relevant parts of physics and chem in the first few weeks of uni.

Alkanes

HSC
I don't think so.

Chem, phys and maths are pretty much the core subjects you will need or study in engineering. Unless you do bridging courses, I feel you will not be able to cope.

Alkanes

HSC
If there is no assumed knowledge or pre reqs then yes you can as that means they teach everything from scratch. Though my guess is those subjects might give you a very slight advantage initially. Keep in mind hsc physics and chem have a lot of crap that gets cut out in uni (effect on society etc) and you don't use everything in ext 2 maths, so you wont have too much to learn from high school.

Don't know if this is true but someone said you can cover all the relevant parts of physics and chem in the first few weeks of uni.
If you've read on uni guides. Pretty much most engineering courses at uni requires an assumed knowledge of physics or chem and some maths.

q3thefish

HSC
if you're a fast learner, then sure you'll cope but just a warning: engineering has heaps of contact hours and the content isnt easy

iBibah

HSC
If you've read on uni guides. Pretty much most engineering courses at uni requires an assumed knowledge of physics or chem and some maths.
That's why I said 'if there is no assumed knowledge...'

HSC
Even if HSC content isn't directly assessed in uni, so most of the physics and chem is bs, you actually pick up a surprising amount of knowledge and skills, which will defs help. Lots of peeps struggle with chem and physics if they haven't done it in the last 2 years

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you will, only doing 3unit maths is good enough for engineering.

HSC physics is absolutely useless, doesn't make a difference at all

For chemistry it depends on which type of engineering you're thinking of doing, if it's something like chemical, materials or environmental you will probably struggle but if you're thinking of something like electrical, mechanical or civil you'e alright

HSC
Uni Grad
No, not well at least. I don't know how they do it in USyd but in UNSW they went through ext2 level stuff like complex numbers in under 2 weeks, as opposed to the 4-6 weeks it took us in year 12. You're gonna have to learn everything from scratch and this will put you at a disadvantage. Extension 2 maths was the best thing I ever did in high school, it's so helpful in uni.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yes you will, only doing 3unit maths is good enough for engineering.

HSC physics is absolutely useless, doesn't make a difference at all

For chemistry it depends on which type of engineering you're thinking of doing, if it's something like chemical, materials or environmental you will probably struggle but if you're thinking of something like electrical, mechanical or civil you'e alright
He was asking about just flexible first year. IMO you only need a handful of concepts from HSC chem plus not stuffing around to be able to hack first year uni chem, same thing for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)