Will i get a mark? (1 Viewer)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
For the first question it said 'What is being described in source 1'?

I put 'the volcanic eruptions of AD 72', when it was Ad79.

Will l at least get a mark if i said volcanic eruptions, even if i put the wrong date?

gw0ng

HSC
i'd say you would even though you wrote the incorrect date.

because you did mention the event being described was the eruption (of mount vesuvius)

HSC
yeahh all u needed was "the eruption"
well i hope anyway coz thats all i wrote LOL.
the first marks are always give away ones so u should get it.

silverfiction

HSC
Nasonex said:
For the first question it said 'What is being described in source 1'?

I put 'the volcanic eruptions of AD 72', when it was Ad79.

Will l at least get a mark if i said volcanic eruptions, even if i put the wrong date?

ooohh i dunno.. i'd say you couldve gotten half a mark but i dont think they give out half marks in the HSC...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Unless the marking guideline requires the date then you should get the mark.

Gatorade

HSC
you will not get the mark because part of the answer is incorrect. it automatically cancels out the correct part of your answer. its what we were told anyway.

Kew

HSC
I'd say you wouldn't - but that's what I'd say if I was a marker for your paper.

;\

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gatorade said:
you will not get the mark because part of the answer is incorrect. it automatically cancels out the correct part of your answer. its what we were told anyway.

If you were told that you were told wrong - markers don't take off marks due to incorrect answers - they simply ignore then and mark the correct stuff.

Gatorade

HSC
cem said:
If you were told that you were told wrong - markers don't take off marks due to incorrect answers - they simply ignore then and mark the correct stuff.
no they dont take marks OFF, but it prevents them from giving you the mark. else why doesnt everyone just put every single possibility down for a question and recieve the mark regardless?

the final point is that there is no "eruption of 72AD" and they cannot award a mark. maybe a 1/2 if half marks are given.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
i wrote something like 'the falling of ash during the eruption of mt vesuvius in ad 79'... i probably shouldn'tve included the falling of ash part but the whole source was describing it...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gatorade said:
no they dont take marks OFF, but it prevents them from giving you the mark. else why doesnt everyone just put every single possibility down for a question and recieve the mark regardless?

the final point is that there is no "eruption of 72AD" and they cannot award a mark. maybe a 1/2 if half marks are given.

It doesn't - they simply ignore the incorrect section.

If 'it was the eruption' gets a mark then giving the wrong date won't matter at all as to give it zero would amount to taking marks off.

PS I am an HSC marker.

Gatorade

HSC
cem said:
It doesn't - they simply ignore the incorrect section.

If 'it was the eruption' gets a mark then giving the wrong date won't matter at all as to give it zero would amount to taking marks off.

PS I am an HSC marker.
no offence meant, but if you really are an hsc marker then what you're doing in my opinion is unfair. say i had put down "the eruption of a volcano in china" as the answer, according to you i should still get the mark. the point is his answer was incorrect as there was NO eruption in 72AD and he doesnt even mention vesuvius, so it really could be anywhere.
plus, as i said before, whats to stop me, if im unsure of the answer, from putting 3 or 4 different possible answers to ensure i get the mark? or i could technically even circle all the options in multiple choice questions as they "ignore the incorrect section".

silverfiction

HSC
Gatorade said:
no offence meant, but if you really are an hsc marker then what you're doing in my opinion is unfair. say i had put down "the eruption of a volcano in china" as the answer, according to you i should still get the mark. the point is his answer was incorrect as there was NO eruption in 72AD and he doesnt even mention vesuvius, so it really could be anywhere.
plus, as i said before, whats to stop me, if im unsure of the answer, from putting 3 or 4 different possible answers to ensure i get the mark? or i could technically even circle all the options in multiple choice questions as they "ignore the incorrect section".
yea i totally agree with you.

no offence, but if you put the wrong date down im not sure you'll get the mark.

i mean you also didnt say the Mt Vesuvius eruption, so its a bit vague... :(

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
bradman said:
Put down multiple answers. They're looking to give you marks for the correct answer - you could say it was you blowing your load last night, you taking a shit the other day. As long as you mention the eruption of a volcano you're set.

As for what you said about multiple choice - even you know that's just stupid.

Remember, they're looking to give marks, not take them away.

At least that's what they keep telling us.
:eek:

you're correct though

m00

HSC
so if they asked you for 2 resources in Pompeii could you list like multiple answers:
beer, octopus, watermelons, grapes, olives

would you get the 2 marks for listing olives and grapes even though they were last on the list?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gatorade said:

Multiple Choice is computer marked and won't accept more than one answer.

If you had written three or four things and the first one was right then the marker would simply not read any more and give the mark.

This came up at marking about 10 years ago when students were asked for four things and were putting down five and six with a couple of early ones being wrong. We were initially told to only take the first four but after a couple of days marking the BOS gave a ruling to ignore the incorrect ones and give 4 marks if their were 4 correct answers.

The correct answer for the question we are discussing will probably be simply - the eruption - anything extra is therefore ignored. To penalise for adding extra incorrect material, in a one mark question, would be seen as unfair by the BOS.

Markers are told to be concious of the fact that students are writing these exams under stress and as a first draft and so we are more liberal than if you had to do this question in class.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
m00 said:
so if they asked you for 2 resources in Pompeii could you list like multiple answers:
beer, octopus, watermelons, grapes, olives

would you get the 2 marks for listing olives and grapes even though they were last on the list?

Yes - you havr 2 correct answers there - some silly ones but two correct ones. (Also remember that if the question has a source and the question says 'from the source' and you give correct answer that aren't in the source you don't get those marks).

e.g. the Source lists grapes, olives

and you answer

fish, fruit

although fish and fruit are correct in that they are resources in Pompeii they weren't mentioned in the source and so they don't get marks.

auraflux7

HSC
OMFG!! I think i might of gotten this question wrong :mad:
My answer was;
"The event described in source 1, is the AFTER-EFFECTS of the
eruption of Mt.Vesuvius in AD79"
I wrote AFTER-EFFECTS because they didn't occur at the time
when the eruption did e.g - lava, molten, fire etc.
So I automatically assumed that the smoke and ash and other
bullshit that history teaches you happened after the eruption.

Will i get this mark or lose it? :mad:

FUCK YOUR MUM ANCIENT-HISTORY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)