Will my school rank and cohort performance badly affect me? (1 Viewer)

cherrykku

HSC
I go to a school where most students average around band 3-4's and there are only around a handful of students (including myself) who consistently achieve band 6's. Also our school is nowhere near the top 100 schools. In some subjects where there a a higher amount of students (CAFS, design and tech) I'm the only one to receive a band 6 however in other classes where there is some level of competition there are only a small amount of students.

In the end if we all perform in our externals similarly to our internals, would my marks be adversely affected because my classmates and whole school performed poorly?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your performance in your HSC exams (externals) are not affected by factors such as your classmates, your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. Your Examination Mark (which is the technical term for the mark that you receive for your external exam in a particular subject) solely depends on your own performance and is subject to the process of alignment.

Where the factors you outlined are relevant/important is with respect to the Assessment Mark (which is the technical term for the mark that you receive for your school-based assessment tasks/exams). This mark is subject to the moderation process, which uses your ranks across your different subjects in addition to the Examination Marks achieved by students in your cohort. Since you mentioned that for subjects such as Community and Family Studies as well as Design and Technology, you are the only student to receive a band 6, I would assume you are ranked first in your cohort for those subjects. This is good news because as per the moderation process, the highest Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% towards your HSC mark (final mark) for a particular subject, is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (which contributes the other 50%) of any student in your cohort. For example, suppose you are ranked first in CAFS, and the highest Examination Mark achieved by a student (which could also be achieved by you) is 90, you will receive 90 as your Assessment Mark. As mentioned above, your own Examination Mark depends on your own performance. Assuming you ranked first in CAFS, if you achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort (use 90 as an example), you will also receive the same mark as your Assessment Mark, leading to an HSC mark of 90.

Where the cohort for a particular subject becomes competitive, it is likely that the academic standard for that subject's cohort becomes higher, which is also positive because it indicates that more students can perform well in the HSC exam for that particular subject, leading to positive effects on the Assessment Marks, as per the moderation process. With that said, it is important to ensure that you are ranked favourably relative to your cohort, which is generally preferable irrespective of the subject or cohort competitiveness, allowing you to maximise your chances of receiving a good Assessment Mark. Hopefully your hard work throughout year 12 has enabled you to achieve these outcomes.

I hope this helps! 😄

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Your performance in your HSC exams (externals) are not affected by factors such as your classmates, your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. Your Examination Mark (which is the technical term for the mark that you receive for your external exam in a particular subject) solely depends on your own performance and is subject to the process of alignment.

Where the factors you outlined are relevant/important is with respect to the Assessment Mark (which is the technical term for the mark that you receive for your school-based assessment tasks/exams). This mark is subject to the moderation process, which uses your ranks across your different subjects in addition to the Examination Marks achieved by students in your cohort. Since you mentioned that for subjects such as Community and Family Studies as well as Design and Technology, you are the only student to receive a band 6, I would assume you are ranked first in your cohort for those subjects. This is good news because as per the moderation process, the highest Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% towards your HSC mark (final mark) for a particular subject, is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (which contributes the other 50%) of any student in your cohort. For example, suppose you are ranked first in CAFS, and the highest Examination Mark achieved by a student (which could also be achieved by you) is 90, you will receive 90 as your Assessment Mark. As mentioned above, your own Examination Mark depends on your own performance. Assuming you ranked first in CAFS, if you achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort (use 90 as an example), you will also receive the same mark as your Assessment Mark, leading to an HSC mark of 90.

Where the cohort for a particular subject becomes competitive, it is likely that the academic standard for that subject's cohort becomes higher, which is also positive because it indicates that more students can perform well in the HSC exam for that particular subject, leading to positive effects on the Assessment Marks, as per the moderation process. With that said, it is important to ensure that you are ranked favourably relative to your cohort, which is generally preferable irrespective of the subject or cohort competitiveness, allowing you to maximise your chances of receiving a good Assessment Mark. Hopefully your hard work throughout year 12 has enabled you to achieve these outcomes.

I hope this helps! 😄
This may sound stupid but, Does your assessment mark affect the ATAR you get or the HSC mark you get?

cherrykku

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄
This definitley helps, cheers for the wonderful explanation!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This may sound stupid but, Does your assessment mark affect the ATAR you get or the HSC mark you get?
As mentioned above, the Assessment Mark contributes 50% of your HSC mark. This means that the Assessment Mark affects the HSC mark you receive in a particular subject. Subsequently, the HSC marks are the ones that will contribute to and affect your ATAR. Consider the diagram below:

1636069656627.png

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
As mentioned above, the Assessment Mark contributes 50% of your HSC mark. This means that the Assessment Mark affects the HSC mark you receive in a particular subject. Subsequently, the HSC marks are the ones that will contribute to and affect your ATAR. Consider the diagram below:

View attachment 33384
Makes sense tysm

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A

View attachment 33384
In addition, what if a person randomly just does completely well in the HSC like come from being an average marker to getting around top marks? Would the assessment mark affect that?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In addition, what if a person randomly just does completely well in the HSC like come from being an average marker to getting around top marks? Would the assessment mark affect that?
Performing well in the HSC exam for a particular subject results in a positive contribution in terms of the remaining 50% of the HSC mark for that subject. By then, the internal rank of the student in that particular subject will have already been determined and assuming they have been an average performer internally, this will be reflected in their Assessment Mark, which will be adjusted to become similar to an average Examination Mark. For example, a student may perform well in the HSC exam, leading to an Examination Mark of 90. However, because they were an average performer internally, they may (for example) receive a 70 as their Assessment Mark. In such a case, their HSC mark (which is the average of the Assessment Mark and the Examination Mark) will be

kevindebruyne

HSC
Performing well in the HSC exam for a particular subject results in a positive contribution in terms of the remaining 50% of the HSC mark for that subject. By then, the internal rank of the student in that particular subject will have already been determined and assuming they have been an average performer internally, this will be reflected in their Assessment Mark, which will be adjusted to become similar to an average Examination Mark. For example, a student may perform well in the HSC exam, leading to an Examination Mark of 90. However, because they were an average performer internally, they may (for example) receive a 70 as their Assessment Mark. In such a case, their HSC mark (which is the average of the Assessment Mark and the Examination Mark) will be
Are the internal marks moderated to the examination marks? So if the student had gotten an Examination Mark of 60, his internal mark would have been lower than if he had gotten an Examination Mark of 100?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Are the internal marks moderated to the examination marks? So if the student had gotten an Examination Mark of 60, his internal mark would have been lower than if he had gotten an Examination Mark of 100?
A student's Assessment Mark may not necessarily be adjusted to reflect their own Examination Mark. In the case of the highest/lowest Assessment Marks, they are adjusted to equal the highest/lowest Examination Marks achieved by any student in a cohort respectively. In the case of other ranks, the moderated Assessment Marks will be similar (not equal) to their equivalent Examination Marks, which again may be achieved by any student in the cohort. For example, if my rank led me to a 60 as my Assessment Mark in a particular subject, but I ended up achieving 100 as my Examination Mark, this will not change my Assessment Mark, because my Assessment Mark is determined according to my rank and the student whose mark was used to moderate my Assessment Mark was around 60. Considering my Examination Mark of 100 would be the highest in my cohort (this is regarding the moderation process), this will be beneficial to the student who ranked first internally, as their Assessment Mark will then be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark, meaning that they will receive 100 as their Assessment Mark.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
is there any point in trying for the final external hsc exams if you're internal marks aren't that good? say you're rank 40 internally, no matter how hard you try in the externals, you will get the mark of whoever comes 40th in the externals?
Your Examination Mark, i.e. the mark you receive for your HSC exam, which contributes 50% of your HSC mark (final mark) in a particular subject depends on your own performance in the HSC exam of that subject. It is not affected by factors such as your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. Based on this, and to answer your question, there is definitely a point in trying to perform to the best of your abilities in your HSC exams as they constitute a great opportunity for you to make a comeback (in the event that your internal performance is not favourable), especially given how much they are worth.

Completion of your school-based assessment tasks/exams will result in a rank compared to your cohort in each of your subjects. These ranks, along with the Examination Marks achieved by you and your cohort are used to determine your Assessment Mark, i.e. the mark that reflects your performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams and also contributes 50% of your HSC mark in a particular subject. This process is called moderation. Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. In the case of other ranks, the moderated Assessment Marks will be similar (not equal) to their equivalent Examination Marks.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)