Wollongong Parking Meters (1 Viewer)

glo-stick91

HSC
Just wondering how many of us on here are affected by the council's installation of parking meters in the CBD. Do you think their a good or bad idea? Discuss.

spazamataz

HSC
They were kind of annoying when i used them the other day.

What pisses me off more is the university introducing visitor pay parking in the residences, as well as parking permits in residence!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I think they're great because a) free bus b) park a bit further out and walk in c) if you are willing to pay a small sum (for the two hour spots it's worthwhile anyway), it's really easy to get a parking spot.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I think they're great because a) free bus b) park a bit further out and walk in c) if you are willing to pay a small sum (for the two hour spots it's worthwhile anyway), it's really easy to get a parking spot.
The free buses can be incredibly inconsistent, and I've found that the introduction of parking meters has made them ridiculously overpacked. I live locally so I usually get on at the library and since the parking meters they have been really squashy on the c cycle going to the uni as early as picadilly stop regardless of the time of day. picking up from the uni is the worst - last thursday there were 3 cs in a row and i got pushed out of the way to get on an a that i had been waiting for 30mins, and had to wait another 10 to jump on one. I'm not discounting their awesomeness but I understand people's frustration at finding an alternative, especially if you are in a hurry. Not only the people who live in Wollongong would need to park in it, in fact I should think that most of the time those driving into town would be from outside the city centre and so parking far away and jumping on a free bus in the cbd isnt always practical.

I am not necessarily phased by paying $2 but I don't think that all parking should be this amount despite the amount of time. it doesn't seem fair that you should pay $2 regardless of 15min or 2hour, and often it is the 2hour spots which get filled so quickly whether it's paid or not. my main problem with parking meters is that when they were installed they changed a lot of the unlimited and even timed unpaid carparks to a max 4hour park and put meters in them, eliminating a lot of options for those that work in town. my street gets massed out every day from people working in town and the meters appears to have made them more ruthless. more often than not there are cars parked in, parked over driveways and yesterday i noticed a sign on a windscreen abusing someone for not moving up.

my rant for the day!

SmiggleWiggle

HSC
I totally agree about the free buses being inconsistent- If I have to catch the bus and I also have to be at uni by a certain time I make sure I am waiting for the bus very early because there is a high probability that it will be late. Also, has anyone else noticed how full the bus is with school kids at times, especially in the mornings and the afternoons. It's a bit annoying because they have bus passes and they are taking up space on the free bus.

I think the parking meters are ok because they stop people from parking in a two-hour zone and leaving thier car parked in that spot all day. But it is annoying to have to pay $2 just to park your car in the CBD...

spazamataz

HSC
Hahaha

I was on the bus the other day, and the kids went to get on and they were pushing, so the driver kicked them ALL off!

Then one of them kicked the bus, so the driver raidoed the other buses to tell them not to pick them up!

But the kids are so annoying, I wasn't like that in high school!!!

Appleseed

HSC
The parking meters in the CBD are really annoying. But if you know your way around there are some ways you can get around it. Such as Audi has 2 hours of free parking as does woolworths. But because of the parking meters lots of people are parking on side streets close to the free bus and making it impossible for me to park outside my apartment. So yes the are good and bad perspectives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)