Word Limit (1 Viewer)

oxpecker

HSC
N/A
How bad is it if I go over the word limit?

I currently have 600 words for my Log, and there is no way that I can cut it down further because it's all direct and important information. Can I get away with it?

couchpotato

HSC
hmmm i that is quite a bit over lol, i reckon it would be best if you could try and cut it down.
if you really cant cut any info out, maybe just try reading through it and re-wording as best you can? that often helps when i go waaaay over.

Miss Code

HSC
You can do the 10% rule so for 500 no more then 550 my log was 554 that includes the dates ( I did it by months) I think you should try and cut things out but if not leave it. Your teacher may be able to cut things out that arent important

Caitlin14

HSC
One of the speakers at one of the PIP days said that for the 500 word sections, they generally expect them to be no more than two pages. My intro, log and conclusion are all over 500 words but all fit on two pages, double spaced and size 12, and my teacher told me that would be okay.

0hNivlek

HSC
Hello again Kelvin,

I haven't seen many PIPs that do include a word count for each section. It
is not necessary. If the markers think that it might be over length they
will do a rough count themselves.

Keep at it - almost done now, Pippa.
This was like two days ago.

GABBey

HSC
You can do the 10 % rule but for the pip i think it dosent matter if your long is over what matters is the whole pip is not over 6000 limit

teach77

HSC
N/A
For 500 word sections (log, intro and conclusion) the 10% rule does apply, so you may go to 550. Beyond that, you need to cut it down - 600 words is obvious. While you may not write the number of words on the page, markers are reading dozens of PIPs and they know exactly what 500 to 550 words looks like, so it's very obvious when you go over. The central material gives you such a broad guideline (2500 to 5000) that you are NOT to go over 5000 words for that - again, markers know and you may be penalised. Markers are looking for your ability to synthesise disparate information and be succint, so if you are meeting the outcomes there should be no need to go over 5000 words.
Hope that helps! Good luck!

tess_gee

HSC
I have gone over the 5000 word limit and am now currently freaking out. I think I am over by about 500 words... it's due tomorrow and there is no way I can cut it down now. I guess I will just have to hope for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)