Working up to B psych (1 Viewer)

old.skool.kid

HSC
Im looking to go to Macquarie to study psych, but i dont think i'll meet the cut off for science/arts pscyh and definatly not honours. So would it be possible to begin with just a straight science or arts degree and then have psych as my major or whatever? im not really sure how this works...

Also is it true that only a small percentage of students complete the 6 year honours course?? Is this because it hard and competitive or...??

Any help would be much appreciated.

loz8888

HSC
questions re: UAI and psychology

Ok, so I got my UAI and it was a lot lower than I was hoping for - 86.4. I was really hoping for around 93/94 so that I could get into psychology (honours) at maquarie (UAI of 93.1). However, my EAS application has been approved so I get 4 extra points at maquarie. I also did the UniTest so am hoping that i'll get another 4 (although this isn't definite). Has anyone done the UniTest in the past?..or know anything about it?...How likely is it that i'll get the points? And, if I do get them (meaning i'll get 8 extra points) how likely is it that i'll be accepted into psychology? Do I have any chance at all?

Also, if I don't get into Psychology, I think i'll do Arts - Psychology (UAI of 83ish) at maquarie. If I do my masters after, does this course allow me to be a clinical psychologist? or would i have to transfer into the psychology (honours) course and then do my masters?

Sorry for all the questions!! i'm just really worried that I wont get in! Thanks in advance :)

Lauren

dolbinau

HSC
I went to the Macquarie open day and apparently it is true only a small percentage complete 6 years (maybe 10% or something? Can't remember). I'm sure for some it is competitiveness, but for others it's just a loss of interest or changing career aspirations. [Consider that apparently there are no limits of honours spots].

Now, regarding science/arts psych, I'm not sure exactly what you will do but as far as I understand, just begin an arts/science degree, take Psych units and then transfer. I'm not sure if you could just ride on an arts degree taking psychology units and then do an honours year, but I'd be interested to know too. In any case, if you are planning/are capable to do honours and masters you won't have any issues transferring anyway.

As far as the B Psych degree itself, I don't think you can transfer into it but if you do science/psych or arts/psych and take the B Psych units then do honours year they are almost literally the same degree. In fact if you don't go into honours year (places are just as competitive for B Psych as Arts-Psych students, same cut off), you talk out with arts-psych anyway.

You probably know all of this, but there might be something helpful in there. Good Luck! You might see me there next year ;).

dolbinau

HSC
Re: questions re: UAI and psychology

Loz,

Unfortunately I don't think you can use Macquarie bonus points with Bachelor of Psychology (honours). I'm not sure about UniTest so you'll have to inquire about it.

However, don't worry about doing Arts - Psychology of Science - Psychology. Make sure you take the B Psych units and maintain the GPA to get into Honours and you'll literally walk out with the same degree as B Psych. If B Psych students don't get into honours they walk out with Arts-Psych anyway. To get into honours Arts-Psych/Science-Psych and B Psych must all meet the cut off so there is no disadvantage at all. You can still do masters (clinical psychology) with again, no disadvantage with Arts-Psych; just make sure you maintain the grades enough to get into Honours! If you don't do honours you can't do clinical psychology at Macquarie, (you can do organisational - whatever that is), or you can try and transfer to another Uni [Maybe UWS?]

I'll be doing Psychology (honours) or arts-psych/law so I'll probably see you in the psychology units!

hallelujah.

HSC

dolbinau said:

Unfortunately I don't think you can use Macquarie bonus points with Bachelor of Psychology (honours). I'm not sure about UniTest so you'll have to inquire about it.
Yeah i was just looking at the UniTest pamphlet and unfortunately it doesnt apply to Psych with honours, combined law, international studies, all actuarial studies programs and b ancient history honours (lol just in case you were considering any of those). But could you start with b arts - psychology or another course and transfer second year?

I also have a theory that uais will come done slightly this year due to the govt getting rid of domestic full fee paying places (they'll create more commonwealth supported places and therefore the uai will come down) but don't quote me on that - im probably totally wrong.

dolbinau

HSC

Not sure if the DFEE places are being converted to CSP but if so I agree the cut offs might go lower. MQ cut offs have been going down every year anyway I think. (At least Psychology used to be 95+ I think at one point)

lionking1191

HSC

dolbinau said:
Not sure if the DFEE places are being converted to CSP but if so I agree the cut offs might go lower. MQ cut offs have been going down every year anyway I think. (At least Psychology used to be 95+ I think at one point)
nah, that's just MQ ;)

there's no extra CSP places. if anything UAI should go up.

loz8888

HSC

thanks everyone for replying - your answers are really helpful. in regard to the bonus points... don't they allow you to use EAS points to get into psychology (honours)?...or do u mean the bonus points for getting band 5's/6's in certain subjects?

looks like i'll be doing arts - psych anyway. i'm glad that either course allow you to become a clinical psychologist (after doing the masters) - i didn't realise that

thanks for your help!

dolbinau

HSC

Oh right. EAS should be fine I misread and thought you meant band 5/6 etc..

A shame you just missed out on B psych but really it's just a title, make sure again you select all the units that B Psych do since they aren't all compulsory for arts-psych (Although this is later years I think, IIRC 1st year is identical)

loz8888

HSC

yeah I am quite annoyed that I missed out...but I guess it will all be alright in the long run.

thanks again, good luck next year. i'll probs see you there :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can't do psych units in a straight BA/BSci, you need to be enrolled in a B Arts-Psych or B Sci-Psych.

To do what you want, you'll be effectively missing a year of uni for the transfer + waiting for PSY 104/105.

X

xeuyrawp

lionking1191 said:
there's no extra CSP places. if anything UAI should go up.
How do you know that...?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Because apparently some of these 08ers are suddenly masters of the universe when it comes to dishing out advice and university undertakings rofl.

dolbinau

HSC
AsyLum, can you take science units in an Arts degree?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can take any units in any degree as long as there is no pre-requisite for the unit, or you've completed the pre-requisite.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
You can't do psych units in a straight BA/BSci, you need to be enrolled in a B Arts-Psych or B Sci-Psych.

To do what you want, you'll be effectively missing a year of uni for the transfer + waiting for PSY 104/105.
And this is why I went to UWS instead :p.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A

dolbinau said:
If you don't do honours you can't do clinical psychology at Macquarie, (you can do organisational - whatever that is), or you can try and transfer to another Uni [Maybe UWS?]
A post graduate degree at UWS such as a Masters ALSO requires Honours or a Postgraduate diploma or a 4 year Psychology undergrad degree (which the BA/Bsc - Psych at MQ is not.)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Because apparently some of these 08ers are suddenly masters of the universe when it comes to dishing out advice and university undertakings rofl.
Yes, as is the person who posted below you. :-/

ambermorn said:
(which the BA/Bsc - Psych at MQ is not.)
Most people who want to practice would go from the BA - Psych or BSc - Psych into honours. With the exception of the name, in the early stages of the degrees, the BPsych(Hons), BA - Psych, and BSc - Psych are effectively identical. Keep up the hard work, though. :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
As Asy said, you can't do psych units unless you are enrolled in one of the psych degrees. So you will need to build up a good enough gpa to transfer into the arts-psych (or whatever psych degree you want to do).

In terms of completing the 6 years of psych (or 7, or 8, or 9...), you first need to get to honours and then get into the masters (or doctor or combined...). You CAN start with the Barts-psych, do all the units that the bPsych students did and then transfer to the BPsych in the fourth year. It is very common (it is what I did), and the requirements to enter any honours year for psych (i.e. BPsych 4th year, the fourth year or Barts-psych(honours), or the fourth year of Bsci-psych) are the same anyway (i..e you need a gpa of 3.25 for the 3rd year psych units). In other words, once you are in the Barts-psych then you can ultimately progress to the bPsych degree without any delay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)