Workshop (19th of March): Writing an effective cover letter and resume (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

Whether you are applying for a casual/part-time role or a more full time cadetship/internship/graduate position, the way you present your cover letter and resume to a potential employer is absolutely critical to your success in the recruitment process.

The initial application (which often requires a resume and/or cover letter) is usually the stage where the majority of applicants get rejected. You could have excellent credentials or even be great at interviews, but that counts for very little if you cannot make that first impression. It takes some skill to be able to sell your credentials convincingly on a cover letter and resume.

When I was applying for jobs myself (particularly graduate positions), it took me a LOT of trial and error to figure out how to write a resume and cover letter that worked. Learning from my mistakes had ultimately helped me end up with multiple graduate role offers (which I never thought would ever happen). This is why I want to share my learnings and experiences in a workshop so hopefully you will spend less time than I did trying to figure out how to write an effective resume and cover letter yourself.

I will be hosting this interactive workshop aimed at helping students write convincing cover letters and resumes. A lot of this is based on my own knowledge and experiences as well as those of many others from our moderating team who have had experiences as both applicants and recruiters themselves.

This workshop is not just about how to write a cover letter and resume. It is also about how to write a GOOD cover letter and resume.

The workshop will cover:

• Initial basics on how to appropriately structure a cover letter and resume

• Techniques to enhance the cover letter and resume that make your application look more convincing

• Interactive activities where you will actually be composing an example of an effective cover letter and resume from scratch

Time and location

Parramatta Library
1-3 Fitzwilliam Street, Parramatta
Saturday 19th of March 2016
9.45am - 1.30pm
Parramatta library is less than a 5 minute walk from Parramatta station. There will be short breaks in between the start and finish time.

Target audience

Any university or high school student looking for employment, whether it be casual, part-time or full-time.

Cost

Free

What to bring

Just pen and paper. Handouts will be provided. You are also welcome to submit your own resume or cover letter for review on the day.

How to register

Forward me a PM here and notify me if you are bringing any others with you. Please note that you will be required to confirm your attendance 2 days prior to the workshop day.

I look forward to seeing you there! :D

Cheers,

Trebla

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Re: Resume and Cover letter writing workshop

Please ignore.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Re: Resume and Cover letter writing workshop

Bump

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Less than a week to go! Still taking registrations.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
FBd you hope that counts

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
I went to a similar event run by Trebla last year, I really recommend it. It really buffed up and changed how I view and write my CV.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bump! Also if anyone is going to the Big Meet careers fair tomorrow, come say hi :)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
whos going and wants to hang out after

i have some... erm... unfinished business in parramatta which may or may not involve downing a HSP

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC

i have some... erm... unfinished business in parramatta which may or may not involve downing a HSP
dude. where are HSPs in parra? I still haven't tried one .-. blasphemy i know

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
dude. where are HSPs in parra? I still haven't tried one .-. blasphemy i know
funnily enough there aren't many kebab shops in Parra CBD, I know theres one about 5-7 mins walk from the station and two in westfield food court

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
funnily enough there aren't many kebab shops in Parra CBD, I know theres one about 5-7 mins walk from the station and two in westfield food court
Names. Gimme names. I must take my hsp virginity.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Lets hang for lunch afterwards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)