WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
What connections? How are a bunch of young fundies going to create new connections for Australian businesses.
The leader of the Christian faith world-wide, leader of 1.2 billion catholics and a distinguished Head of State will be here. He has just been in the states in which the media largely ignored a concurrent visit by Gordon Brown. He celebrated mass with 60000 people at the Yankees stadium, thousands lined 5th avenue to catch a glimpse, he spoke at the white house, and addressed the United Nations. Where this man goes, the world watches.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
i think the new powers are good. stops the extremist atheists from stooping to a fundamentalist level. stops them from ruining the event for the pilgrims

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Youth Day protesters 'to offer condoms'

http://news.smh.com.au/national/youth-day-protesters-to-offer-condoms-20080701-2zlj.html

Protesters say they are willing to break the law and hand out condoms to Catholic pilgrims during this month's World Youth Day celebrations in Sydney.

Powers approved by the NSW government allow for people who continually annoy or inconvenience pilgrims during the event, to be staged in Sydney from July 15 to 20, to be arrested and possibly fined $5,500.

Protest group, NoToPope Coalition are concerned the regulations will be used to stop demonstrations during World Youth Day events, but that they could also effectively ban things like wearing a T-shirt with a slogan considered to be anti-Catholic.

NoToPope spokeswoman Rachel Evans said the group was seeking legal advice on whether it could challenge the "thou shalt not offend" laws.

But she said the group would still carry out its protest in the CBD on July 19, and go ahead with its plan to hand out condoms to young pilgrims.

"We are not anti-religion," Ms Evans said.

"We expect the police will allow us to distribute condoms to the young pilgrims and talk with them about human rights issues."

The NSW Bar Association said the laws attacked the right to freedom of speech and appeared to be completely unnecessary.

Association president Anna Katzmann, SC, said they were not necessary when Sydney hosted the Rugby World Cup or the annual Mardi Gras parade.

"If I were to wear a T-shirt proclaiming that "World Youth Day is a waste of public money" and refuse to remove it when an officer of the Rural Fire Service asks me to, I would commit a criminal offence," Ms Katzmann said.

But the police and government have defended the additional powers, saying they were needed whenever large-scale events were held in Sydney.

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the powers were no different to those used at sports stadiums and other large public arenas.

"So these are the powers to stop people taking things in ... like a paint bomb, all of those sort of things that ... certainly you couldn't take to the football on Saturday," Mr Scipione said.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma also denied he had done a deal with the Catholic Church to ensure police were given additional powers.

Mr Iemma said people have the right to protest during World Youth Day as long as they did it peacefully and lawfully.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm so confused as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

What counts as "annoying"?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
scarybunny said:
I'm so confused as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

What counts as "annoying"?
exactly, they use broad terms like 'annoyance' and 'inconvenience' to make it open to interpretation for cops.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Yeah, she's like that. She'll string you along and you'll think she's the greatest thing ever and then break your heart by telling you that she doesn't like dancing. What a mood killer.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Dancing is acceptable after 2 or 3 drinks when I think I'm awesome.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
So you need to think that you yourself are awesome when pretty much everyone else already thinks you are?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
CharlieB said:
The leader of the Christian faith world-wide, leader of 1.2 billion catholics and a distinguished Head of State will be here. He has just been in the states in which the media largely ignored a concurrent visit by Gordon Brown. He celebrated mass with 60000 people at the Yankees stadium, thousands lined 5th avenue to catch a glimpse, he spoke at the white house, and addressed the United Nations. Where this man goes, the world watches.
He is not a head of state.

Also

gnrlies

HSC
haha

I gotta say, like I totally respect the right of people to believe in what they want to but I can't understand how anyone could follow a major religion. Particularly when these people have no desire to question their faith.

What makes your religion better than anyone elses. If you were born a few hundred kilometers north of australia and you would be a muslim. What is it about christianity / catholicism that makes you think that you are right?

Other than some kind of faith that you might have due to years of brainwashing what possible reason would anyone have to follow a major religion.

Im not talking down spiritualism as it probably takes more faith to believe that there is no god that to believe that there could be a god; but to think you know the answers is a joke. The bible was written by humans if you would care to remember. And to think that christians bag out mormons because a human; Joseph Smith write the book of the mormon.

Just my say ;)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Kwayera said:
He is not a head of state.

Also

he is actually, he's head of state for vatican city, which is a sovereign city-state

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Slidey said:
Yeah because nothing says come host it in Australia like "oh, but you have to pay for it".

Dude, do you realise how important economically an event like this is? It's similar to having the Olympics, but it happens 4 times as often. It's well worth the taxpayer dollars, if we're ignoring idealogical worth.

I'm apathetic about it. It means more power to Australia's economy, so yay! Anyway, if there was a Church I had to support it would be the Catholic one. At least it acknowledges and supports evolution and the big bang rather than creationism.

Good for our economy?
How so?
it's meant to be a pilgrimage which i thought = avoiding luxuries like beds/toilets and opting for sleeping bags in catholic schools and portoloos. theyre teenagers.. how much of an effect can they really make on our economy? even the 20893131238912390 ofthem after we've pulled out so much from our own pockets.

i live in radnwick.. and thank the lord i'm out of sydney this time of year.

Evilo

HSC
nichhhole said:
how much of an effect can they really make on our economy? .
its pretty much booze + virgin air flights.... (lol)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
gnrlies said:
haha

I gotta say, like I totally respect the right of people to believe in what they want to but I can't understand how anyone could follow a major religion. Particularly when these people have no desire to question their faith.

What makes your religion better than anyone elses. If you were born a few hundred kilometers north of australia and you would be a muslim. What is it about christianity / catholicism that makes you think that you are right?

Other than some kind of faith that you might have due to years of brainwashing what possible reason would anyone have to follow a major religion.

Im not talking down spiritualism as it probably takes more faith to believe that there is no god that to believe that there could be a god; but to think you know the answers is a joke. The bible was written by humans if you would care to remember. And to think that christians bag out mormons because a human; Joseph Smith write the book of the mormon.

Just my say ;)
I think the worst thing is many of the kids believe it only because thats what mummy and daddy told them to, this is an attempt to make sure they don't start questioning... Rather than helping young people decide and choose what to believe they are trying to trick them into it.

People can be religious, that doesn't bother me, believe what you want but don't push it on me and don't think you're above us all because you are religious. Thats precisely the problem with the "anti-annoyance" regulation, it says that they can express their opinion because they are relgious but anything against it cannot.

I don't like to cause trouble but something as simple as harmless as handing out condoms in protest of the catholic church's stance against them despite the prevalence of HIV and STI's and the fact that telling people to abstain or to use the withdrawal method wont work is not a big deal, its not violent or that offensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)