Worried about first assessent task mark and tips to get back on track? (1 Viewer)

_s2

HSC
hii!
today i received my mark back for my first advanced english assessment task and my mark was 11/15 (assessment was worth 15%). it was not the lowest mark in the grade by it was the lowest in my class. after asking around, it was enough to tell me i'm around the middle in terms of rankings. my atar aim is to get 98.5+ (to get into my course) so my main concern is, how much will this affect it? and is it possible for me to improve if i work hard enough? (also, my school is ranked top 45)
thank you!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, considering that your school has a relatively high ranking, and this is your first assessment task, it probably won't be detrimental to your atar aim, however, it would be better if you could give us some context on the nature of your english assessment task-i.e. was it a prepared essay, was it written on the spot-because getting 11/15 has a very different implication depending on the nature of the task-because it will determine how much more you will need to improve, and yes, it is of course possible for you to improve if you work hard enough, but I think the more important thing is that to make sure you keep writing essays/creative, seek feedback, write essay, feedback-repeating this process as much as you can and it will do wonders to your improvement, as well, listen very carefully in class to what the teacher say and find a passion for english-re-read your text, listen to alternate viewpoints and formulate your own unique viewpoint-if you have any more questions or would like me to look over an essay or creative to give you some comments on how you can improve-you are more than welcome to pm me -hope this helps and best wishes for your HSC year:)

Rivaille

HSC
It's okay. It'll be difficult to recover from a 11/15, but it's not impossible. Last year, I completely failed (14/20) one of my exams (a creative), and I still managed to come first in English at a top 20 school. But this was after a lot of hard work and persistence.

_s2

HSC
The assessment task was a speech that was focused solely on our related text (the teachers felt we won't be able to provide enough information over 3.5 minutes if we had to talk about our set text as well). Our next english assessment task is in 3 weeks, and it'll will be an in-class essay that is worth 10%.
and thank you so much for your advice! it was very helpful indeed:)

Well, considering that your school has a relatively high ranking, and this is your first assessment task, it probably won't be detrimental to your atar aim, however, it would be better if you could give us some context on the nature of your english assessment task-i.e. was it a prepared essay, was it written on the spot-because getting 11/15 has a very different implication depending on the nature of the task-because it will determine how much more you will need to improve, and yes, it is of course possible for you to improve if you work hard enough, but I think the more important thing is that to make sure you keep writing essays/creative, seek feedback, write essay, feedback-repeating this process as much as you can and it will do wonders to your improvement, as well, listen very carefully in class to what the teacher say and find a passion for english-re-read your text, listen to alternate viewpoints and formulate your own unique viewpoint-if you have any more questions or would like me to look over an essay or creative to give you some comments on how you can improve-you are more than welcome to pm me -hope this helps and best wishes for your HSC year:)

_s2

HSC
wow that is very impressive! i will definitely keep this in mind for motivation ^^
It's okay. It'll be difficult to recover from a 11/15, but it's not impossible. Last year, I completely failed (14/20) one of my exams (a creative), and I still managed to come first in English at a top 20 school. But this was after a lot of hard work and persistence.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You're pretty much allowed to "screw" up one assessment. What matters most is your rank, your assessment marks and weighting just alters your rank, so you need to ensure you're at least the top 10-15% if you want a 98.5+ ATAR

Since you're ranking is near the middle, identify what didn't go well in your assessment.
Poor time management?
Disorganised structure?
Etc
Then work on fixing those things through HEAPS of practice

Use this as an opportunity to improve and essentially bounce back! Don't dwell on it too much, even though it seems like a big deal. Work past it and you will do better than worrying a lot over it

Best of luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
It's still early in the year, and that's not as bad as you might think it is. You've still got plenty of time to catch up and maintain a good rank.

bec3

HSC
That shouldn't be a problem. I had the same assessment task and got a similar mark in a school ranked far lower. My overall ranking at the time was not good at all, but by the end of the HSC year my rank had lifted to the top 10. Ranks (especially when it's the first assessment task) can vary dramatically from the start to the end of the year.

The worst thing to do now is lose hope, just practice your time management, writing skills and perhaps seek clarification as to what the main issues were with your speech.
Best wishes

_s2

HSC
thank you all for your comments! i'll definitely keep these in mind and hopefully things will turn out better as the year and the next goes on. i guess the good thing that came out of this that i'm now a lot more driven to work harder :) thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)