worst/best english novel you have ever read in school? (1 Viewer)

moodchanger08

HSC
My favourite book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card which is a Journeys text. It's really really good! I recommend everyone to read it. :read:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
jellybelly59 said:
Lockie Leonard is the most crap piece of Australian literature i've ever picked up
+1

Read that pile of crap in year 7 while all the other classes got to read Harry Potter. :(

saltgunner

HSC
Best= Tomorrow When the War Began-Yr 8, Looking For Alibrandi-yr 10, Emma (once I was able to read it)-yr11, and my Ext English speculative fiction text Cyteen, which was as hard as anything to get into, but so good once I started to understand what was going on...
Worst= My forbidden Face (only becasue my teacher in year 9 was sooo BORING!)

My friend says:
Best= Alibrandi, Emma
Worst= Deadly Unna

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
saltgunner said:
Best= Tomorrow When the War Began-Yr 8, Looking For Alibrandi-yr 10, Emma (once I was able to read it)-yr11, and my Ext English speculative fiction text Cyteen, which was as hard as anything to get into, but so good once I started to understand what was going on...
Worst= My forbidden Face (only becasue my teacher in year 9 was sooo BORING!)

My friend says:
Best= Alibrandi, Emma
Worst= Deadly Unna
Ooh I did Tommorow when the war began... I loved Marsden for it in Year 8 ... but I have to say I liked my novels in year 9 and 10 better :p

But he's still a really good author.

Hysterik

HSC
Best: Ros and Guil, Othello. My favourite is 1984, though.
Worst: Romeo and Juliet, the French Lieutenant's Woman (couldn't even finish it) and Farenheit 451.

Can't believe the Brian Caswell hate on the first page, I fracking love his books. :)

law

HSC
N/A
Best: "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee (my all time favourite is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho)

Worst: "Unreliable Memoirs" by Clive James (unfunny recount of James' life in Australia)

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Worst - 'The story of Tom Brennan' - lets do a book about about football and alcohol and teenagers just for a change! :angry:

Best - 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' - a clever book. :read: I also love reading parts of Romeo and Juliet.

HSC
best
bridge to terribithia
the cay
goodnight mr tom
romeo and juliet
taming of the shrew
the wave
nineteen eighty four (sort of)
the golden age

worst
animal farm - to hard for me in year 10, plus my teacher didnt really explain it
hating alison ashley (wtf, lame)
maybe tomorrow (i think that's what its called)
king lear

thats really all i can think of and categorise

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hello2U2 said:
best
bridge to terribithia
the cay
goodnight mr tom
romeo and juliet
taming of the shrew
the wave
nineteen eighty four (sort of)
the golden age

worst
animal farm - to hard for me in year 10, plus my teacher didnt really explain it
hating alison ashley (wtf, lame)
maybe tomorrow (i think that's what its called)
king lear

thats really all i can think of and categorise
I liked animal farm, it was really interesting how the animals were portrayed as being in control and the corruption that was present.

Betty Zhang

HSC
Best English texts yr 7-11:
To Kill a Mocking Bird
The Catcher in the Rye
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Rabbits
The God of Small Things (ext eng)

The Worst:
Othello
Narnia
So Much To Tell You

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i pretty much loved all of my english texts. esp. king lear. and bnw. and br.

jmrdelilah

HSC
Alfred.Einstein said:
the worstbook i read was when i was in year 5- i was only 10 at the time but was in an accelerated class and was forced to read THE HOBBIT by JRR Tolkien

everytime i picked it up i literally fell asleep. like how the hell is a 10 yr old supposed to understand all the jibberish shit in that book.
(no offence to those who like it)

also the secret life/crimes of harry lavender or something was soooo bad which we read last year

the best was animal farm and bridge to terrabithia (in yr 5 + 6)
and a postmodern novel we studied this year in extension english calles "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathon Foer
- was absolutely amazing, almost the best book ive ever read (the beatles anthology was the best!)

thoughts? :)
ANIMAL FARM IS SO CRAP... i really didn't enjoy it, but perhaps that was the way we learnt it. we never really did an indepth study like we should of. The best thing that came from that book is the day we revolted against our english teacher and left him tied to a chair during recess. good thing he has a great sense of humour.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
jmrdelilah said:
ANIMAL FARM IS SO CRAP... i really didn't enjoy it, but perhaps that was the way we learnt it. we never really did an indepth study like we should of. The best thing that came from that book is the day we revolted against our english teacher and left him tied to a chair during recess. good thing he has a great sense of humour.
Animal Farm was pretty cool in my opinion - I liked the way the pigs distributed the power unfairly and all the slavery that the other animals had to endure... that's probably because I like reading about political stuff.

08coopel

HSC
Have to agree wtih you
the book thi was the most brilliant life changing piece of literature ever.
It wasn't tolkien or shakespeare or anything in that kind of league.
it was just. brilliant modern literature
it made me cry
and think about my entire life
and love life
and hate life all at the same time
I recommend it to everyone and anyone
"the book thief" by marcus Zusak

Sezza08

HSC
Kestrel for a Knave.

Do not ever read it unless you want to slowly die. It is the most boring, pointless dullest book ever written. The story line goes nowhere. Avoid at all costs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)