• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Worth learning integration by parts (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
Hey everyone
I was just wondering, do you think its a good idea for 3 unit students to learn integration by parts? I dont do 4 unit, but there are some questions, like integration of inverse sine, which are difficult to do using the 3 unit method of drawing a box under y=sin x, subtracting values, etc. So do you think its worthwhile to take the extra step and learn integration by parts?

Will Hunting

HSC
As you validly point out, yeah, IBP can present a simpler way of coming to some conclusions, and any measures you can take to simplify not only your answers, but also the processes by which you reach your answers, are invaluable. Be aware, though, that you'll be awarded no extra marks for employing IBP, in lieu of a more difficult method, in your reasoning, as it is not mandated by the 3U syllabus. Furthermore, you run the risk of, should you reach an incorrect answer, losing more marks than your otherwise might've if you had adopted a strictly 3U approach, as, although IBP is, I'm sure, more advanced, you've shown no evidence of satisfying the 3U outcomes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah not worth it, the 3u solution is often 1000x more elegant anyway.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
IBP is a last resort for 4u as well...
my advice is just to be familiar with integrating things like xe^x and other common functions so you know what to look for....

Will Hunting

HSC
Estel said:
IBP is a last resort for 4u as well...
my advice is just to be familiar with integrating things like xe^x and other common functions so you know what to look for....
That's a good point. Just because a table of standard integrals is provided in exams, doesn't mean it hurts to become familiar with some of the more common ones yourself.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Will Hunting said:
That's a good point. Just because a table of standard integrals is provided in exams, doesn't mean it hurts to become familiar with some of the more common ones yourself.
thats true, i learned verbatim some others ones (tho i forget them now, lol) i personally never found the need to use IBP for a 3U question (frankly, i didnt use it all that often in 4U either), and i agree with withoutaface, 3U solutions are more "elegant" 4U can get awfully messy IMHO

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Will Hunting said:
As you validly point out, yeah, IBP can present a simpler way of coming to some conclusions, and any measures you can take to simplify not only your answers, but also the processes by which you reach your answers, are invaluable. Be aware, though, that you'll be awarded no extra marks for employing IBP, in lieu of a more difficult method, in your reasoning, as it is not mandated by the 3U syllabus. Furthermore, you run the risk of, should you reach an incorrect answer, losing more marks than your otherwise might've if you had adopted a strictly 3U approach, as, although IBP is, I'm sure, more advanced, you've shown no evidence of satisfying the 3U outcomes.
yeah, i think that sums it up really, it may be beneficial to learn it, cause it really is only a forumla, and u can use it 2 even check other results if u hav the time, also for homework without solutions, checking by urself gives u peice of mind, id say just learn the formula and how u adapt it but yeah, unless u are completely satisfied u know wat ur doin, dont use it, cause if ur wrong, u wont get the marks

repressed

REpressed
HSC
Not really, intergration by parts can make things really messy for 3u questions cause they usually have a much simpler solution. Just use it for 4u i reckon :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)