would 99.95 atar guarantee an entry to HARVARD university??? (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

In short, no. Absolutely no way.

I did get 99.95, and I did get into Harvard, but by no means was my ATAR the defining part of my application. Keep in mind that few Americans even know what an ATAR is. To get into somewhere like Harvard, you have to demonstrate your personality on an application, and you need to somehow stand out (often in a national sense). I know of plenty of 99.95s who were rejected from Harvard (and many other Ivy Leagues) with international competitions and major extra curricular positions up their sleeves. The application to Harvard is farrrr more than just grades and run of the mill activities. I think one of the most important parts is the essay, where you show your voice, but others would beg to differ.

Also, why Harvard? You do realise that there's more to a university than its name, right?
Out of curiosity, why did you apply to Harvard for undergrad and not wait for postgrad? Ie, are you wealthy, did you get a scholarship or loan, and why do you think it's worth it for undergrad?

That is to say, in my experience American universities really only produce superior students at postgrad level.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
99.95 wont even guarantee you med here (other than usyd, but that doesn't count since you still need the interview), and srsly, Harvard is a long way away. Also better do it post grad, save some $$

furansugo

HSC
Out of curiosity, why did you apply to Harvard for undergrad and not wait for postgrad? Ie, are you wealthy, did you get a scholarship or loan, and why do you think it's worth it for undergrad?

That is to say, in my experience American universities really only produce superior students at postgrad level.
I applied to three American colleges, and I turned down Harvard for one of the others. American colleges have something called financial aid, which often makes studying there cheaper than studying at private schools in Australia (I went to a state school)... in any case, I'm not paying full fee. For a lot of students, going to HYP would be free. I applied because (with no offence intended) there are so many more opportunities to thrive at places like Harvard, MIT, Yale, Stanford and Princeton - you're in this hotspot of intellectuals who all live together - and I desperately wanted a challenge. As for the opportunities... well, there are so many opportunities to research, to get involved in politics, to go to international conferences, to do amazing internships... I'm not even going to get started. In short, I applied for the US because I thought that I could grow much more there than here.

The whole liberal arts program was a huge plus for me as well. I've already done the first semester of a degree here, and I don't really like how specific it is - I barely do any writing, despite the fact that I loved the humanities in high school - and my skills in French have disappeared. I'm not saying that you can't maintain both sciences and humanities in Australia, but it's much easier in the US because you have to - I know that Yale throws money at students to study overseas to improve their languages...

I know that going to the US isn't for everyone, but for perspective, about half of Australia's maths and physics team members from 2010 are heading to either the UK or the USA.

Edit: Thought I should add that there are definitely opportunities in Australia... but if you're going to a university which is over 300 years old and has an endowment of 18+ billion, there's not much of a comparison.

NewiJapper

HSC
If you are looking for Law at Harvard forget about it haha. It is only offered as a post-grad course there. I have no idea how Elle Woods got in...

X

xeuyrawp

PwarYuex were you university medalist?
No, I wasn't; I don't want to be immodest, but I really should have gotten the University Medal. The way it works at Macquarie (at least in my faculty) is that your supervisor has to nominate you, which he didn't for whatever reason(s). I also missed out from another medal which is a straight 4.0 GPA (all Ds and HDs), but an unfortunate Pass in first semester of first year (I missed the exam) means that I didn't get that, either, even though the majority of my results were HDs. I did get a few prizes, though, which is good as they appeared on my transcript.

furansugo said:
I applied to three American colleges, and I turned down Harvard for one of the others. American colleges have something called financial aid, which often makes studying there cheaper than studying at private schools in Australia (I went to a state school)... in any case, I'm not paying full fee. For a lot of students, going to HYP would be free. I applied because (with no offence intended) there are so many more opportunities to thrive at places like Harvard, MIT, Yale, Stanford and Princeton - you're in this hotspot of intellectuals who all live together - and I desperately wanted a challenge. As for the opportunities... well, there are so many opportunities to research, to get involved in politics, to go to international conferences, to do amazing internships... I'm not even going to get started. In short, I applied for the US because I thought that I could grow much more there than here.

The whole liberal arts program was a huge plus for me as well. I've already done the first semester of a degree here, and I don't really like how specific it is - I barely do any writing, despite the fact that I loved the humanities in high school - and my skills in French have disappeared. I'm not saying that you can't maintain both sciences and humanities in Australia, but it's much easier in the US because you have to - I know that Yale throws money at students to study overseas to improve their languages...

I know that going to the US isn't for everyone, but for perspective, about half of Australia's maths and physics team members from 2010 are heading to either the UK or the USA.

Edit: Thought I should add that there are definitely opportunities in Australia... but if you're going to a university which is over 300 years old and has an endowment of 18+ billion, there's not much of a comparison.
Thanks for the response. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
How's it going Pwar? I can't believe I will be writing up in a year's time! :(

X

xeuyrawp

How's it going Pwar? I can't believe I will be writing up in a year's time! :(
It's going really well - just stressful. This week I put my examinations form in, so I now know what I'm being examined on. *shiver* I have to get my ass moving on my dissertation, though.

I can't believe you're writing up, either. How're your plans for after?

ngoetz

HSC
No. You need to sit the SAT's (similar to Selective School entrance exam). Also, Australian students that received a 44/45 in the International Baccalaureate have a much better chance IMO.

furansugo

HSC
>.> All that matters is that you make the most of your educational opportunities. None of the Australian Harvard acceptees I know who didn't get recruited for sport (then again, I only know two..) did IB; both of us did VCE or HSC and obtained very high ATARs. 99.95 definitely isn't a prerequisite though. As far as the SATs go, you need to have a good score, but even 2400/2400 won't guarantee anything. The admissions are "holistic".

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's going really well - just stressful. This week I put my examinations form in, so I now know what I'm being examined on. *shiver* I have to get my ass moving on my dissertation, though.

I can't believe you're writing up, either. How're your plans for after?
Ouch, still has to sit for exams? Have you came over to Cambridge to have a look yet?

I might go to America to a good lab where I can do great science and publish well. I might also stay in the UK and try for an internship in Nature and see whether I like being an editor.

X

xeuyrawp

Ouch, still has to sit for exams? Have you came over to Cambridge to have a look yet?

I might go to America to a good lab where I can do great science and publish well. I might also stay in the UK and try for an internship in Nature and see whether I like being an editor.
Yeah, all postgrad degrees at Oxford which aren't doctorates have coursework. I have a 30,000 word dissertation + two marked 5,000 essays + a take home exam + 4 exams (3hrs each), so yeah. *shaking in boots*

Quackersome

HSC
N/A
Well... I did apply to UK unis and made it to Oxford, UCL and King's for their version of Arts/Political Science degrees.

Too expensive for me though, so I stayed back :(

X

xeuyrawp

Well... I did apply to UK unis and made it to Oxford, UCL and King's for their version of Arts/Political Science degrees.

Too expensive for me though, so I stayed back :(
Really? Could you tell us about how you got in to Oxford - what you applied for, colleges, application process, etc?

Quackersome

HSC
N/A
I applied for PPE and for Corpus Christi (this was because I liked the name lol).

What do you mean by application process? What I went through or how to apply? I wasn't exactly 'admitted' to Oxford. I was shortlisted but I didn't attend the interview - I only applied for UK unis for more options. My parents said that if I go overseas; I must take a loan, work and study etc which I didn't want to do. Also I was aiming for Econometrics and Economics at LSE not Oxford.

UCAS would provide more general and better information than I on the application process.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LSE would be a dream, but I hope I can get into London Business School for an MBA in 4-5 years time.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If it does not -guarentee- USyd Med, then what is the likelihood of entry into Harvard?

X

xeuyrawp

I applied for PPE and for Corpus Christi (this was because I liked the name lol).

What do you mean by application process? What I went through or how to apply? I wasn't exactly 'admitted' to Oxford.
Ok, so when you said
I did apply to UK unis and made it to Oxford, UCL and King's for their version of Arts/Political Science degrees.
you were misleading us.

International students making the interview at Oxbridge is by no means 'making it'.

You're obviously lying about it, anyway.

Quackersome

HSC
N/A
Ok, so when you said

you were misleading us.

International students making the interview at Oxbridge is by no means 'making it'.

You're obviously lying about it, anyway.
I know... But it's better than saying "oh yeah I applied and got rejected"? I still had an open chance.

Robert Williams

HSC
They don't take the VERY best academic students.

The students who get full marks in their SAT's (US equivalent of HSC), are usually rejected.

Just be content with Australian universities you child.
Omg that's incredibly ignorant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)