Would it be a waste if you study Law but don't want to become a Lawyer? (1 Viewer)

obviouslyme

HSC
Hi guys, I got an offer from UTS to do Law in my February round but I haven't responded. I don't really see myself as a solicitor or barrister since the roles to me seem very stressful (like decision making and representing clients in court). But I have always been interested in Law since I was a child. When i was reading into the faculty's information, the content all seems very appealing! But if i don't want to become a Lawyer, is it really a waste of time and effort?

If anyone can share their experiences, or suggest some professions in Law that'd be very much appreciated!

Please give me some pro advice! Thank you guys :)

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If you like learning about it then do it
Just because you do a degree doesn't mean you have to take that on as a career

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I got an offer from UTS to do Law in my February round but I haven't responded. I don't really see myself as a solicitor or barrister since the roles to me seem very stressful (like decision making and representing clients in court). But I have always been interested in Law since I was a child. When i was reading into the faculty's information, the content all seems very appealing! But if i don't want to become a Lawyer, is it really a waste of time and effort?

If anyone can share their experiences, or suggest some professions in Law that'd be very much appreciated!

Please give me some pro advice! Thank you guys :)
Definitely not. Over half the students in law degrees don't plan on being lawyers. I happen to be one of them. Is it a waste of time? Hell no. Love it (except exam times when you have #deepthoughts about life and question why you put yourself through this).

What do you want to do then?
If you're like me and interested in a ton of things (e.g. law, engo, med, maths) I think chose the degree that will give you the profession you want.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, if you want to be successful in any career, there will be times where you will find yourself stressed out, not just law, particularly if you are a graduate starting to get the hangs of things in a certain career. I think it would not be a waste, because even if you decide to ignore statistics, think about the fundamental advantage of knowing about the law that you are governed by, as a citizen of a society that has a strong legal framework (not going to comment on whether it is as fair as it should be), I think it is very important to not be ignorant of the law and learn the legal restraints that governs our code of behaviour in this society.

obviouslyme

HSC
Thank you so much for your responses guys! I appreciate it and will give it a second thought! Thank you :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Yes. Law is an expensive degree. It's also a vocational degree. You pay more for the courses, and if you do a combined degree you use up two years of study where you could have been working. If you don't want to practise, the majority of jobs will be in compliance work, which is dreadfully boring, or you'll be relying on your other degree. It's an expensive way to pursue an interest. That being said, who knows what you'll think in 5 years. Maybe you'll be a little more confident.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing is a waste of time if you have no specific goals

If you know what you want to do, take the fastest route and use the shortest time to get there. If that goal does not involve being a lawyer, chances are law is a waste of time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)