would it matter if the guy/grl was a goth,prep,or nerd? (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Being a goth, i think basically comes from the idea of 'individualism'. They want to be individuals, like sorta being a "hippie", however on the more depressive side.
I.e. some people believe that progressive change can be made through people power.
Others believe that changes to the world can't take place, so they just give up, fall into their little realm and sometimes turn depressive or whatever.
Or they realise the way the world works and get in on the act

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I actually like to put the world into 3 better categories.

- Jerks
- Pussies
- Indifferent
So which are u,
I would classify it as
-Rulers
-Servants/Slaves
-Outcasts

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Well if you truely wanted to be an 'individual' or express yourself, you should come up with a new way to sell yourself... like seriously everyone knows what connotations come with wearing different styles of clothing.
What about people that wear average clothing? They're judged as just another average nobody too.
I'd get over the idea that everyone should know, understand, and love each other lol
i guess what you say is true. but i suppose goths are judged in a more negative way, as opposed to simply 'average'?

i like to think that everyone just needs to be understood :)

Not-That-Bright said:
Well my ex was fairly goth, like.. just a very depressive girl.
I don't really "converse" with many goths, and i doubt they'd get into too much about why they are the way they are, these are just observations from the media and my own first person observations..
which as we all know, often get distorted [edit: referring to the media]
and that was only from the one/s you've met

Last edited:

tyra

HSC
i don't know why everyone in here find goths unattractive... there's actually this really hot one at my uni, although he acts totally normal and not depressed at all, he just dresses like a goth.i doubt he would ever go out with me though, im too nerdy.

frazzle

HSC
goths eh? =)

ok now that I hav eactually waded through these 5 pages, I don't understand why everyone here is so against goths? I find them very intriguing.

and what's with all this us-them terminology as well?

Last edited:
HSC
frazzle said:
goths eh? =)

ok now that I hav eactually waded through these 5 pages, I don't understand why everyone here is so against goths? I find them very intriguing.

and what's with all this us-them terminology as well?
It depends entirely on the goths involved, I've got friends who tend towards that particular brand of person who are absolutely awesome people.

On the other hand, you go to concerts and get stared at the entire time by depressed crossbred pirate-mimes who dance like epileptic ninjas, because you don't fit in. I don't really like them very much at all. Despite the attempt at differentiation, they're just as judgemental as everyone else and the blatant hypocrisy give me the shits.

Then there's the mopey kids. Despite my cynicism, I generally try to maintain a pretty positive outlook, and people that are intent on bringing everyone around them down just don't sit well with me.

Edit: Also, I don't see goths as being unattractive at all. Often they're very pretty, but are too intent on showing others up as being ungoth to really shine as people. Seeing as personality is more of an interest to me, the fact that they set themselves apart and will often go out of their way to alienate those who don't fit into the "I'm an individual too" gang means they're just not that appealing, to me at least.

(And a note, of course this is a stereotype. As I said, I know some that are great, just that the vast majority that I come across are not.)

Last edited:

artfag

Banned
HSC
i wouldn't date a goth that listens to NIN, but i'd date one that listens to Einsturzende Neubauten/SPK/Cabaret Voltaire/Throbbing Gristle.

preps & nerds are fine

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Okay, according to UrbanDictionary.com:

1. prep
Noun (Prep): Comes from identifiying one who goes to a prepratory or "prep" school (typically on the East Coast), or a school with the intent of preparing its students for college (often Ivy League).
Has come to be an label for those who conform to typical teenage behavior, in areas like clothing, school behavior, and sports participation, because preps usually are more ambitious and/or image-conscious than others.
Popular belief is that preps hate nerds/goths/punks/etc, however, generally, preps pay little attention to other "types," and those who hate preps with the most passion are those who were once preps and have recently gone away from their previous behavior, and often people who are posers intent on protecting their alternative-ness.
Prep has become to be nearly synonymous with conformist, to the point where most preps have been in denial of their typecast, and it is seen as an insult in the eyes of many.
Preppy is the adjective form, Preppily is the adverb.
The prep dreamed of going to a school that wasn't too far from where her quarterback boyfriend got a scholarship.
Bob wouldn't talk to Annie; He thought her interest in MTV and popular culture made her too preppy.
Tiffany started dressing very preppily over the summer, shedding her all-black dress code for the latest styles.

So, I take it to mean conformist... the preparational school definition is hardly used anymore, I suppose...

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
I wouldn't mind a goth or a punk, I wouldn't date a metrosexual guy. They kinda annoy me.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
why hasnt anyone mentioned the surfer/skater type people?
surfer/skater looking guys are pretty hot... some of them are.

BrenKHS

HSC
I got told that I was "preppy" in a america. I had no idea what they were talking about.

When it comes to G/F I'd rather go out with a nerdy/preppy chick, stupid chicks shit me. But if the chick is hot enough i really dont care what stereotype she is or how stupid she is. :p

Except Goths, Goddam get a life.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I don't really care if a guy was nerdy or preppy or surfer...watever....but guys that are attracted to me are generally nerdy or skaters (weird combination).....Goths look at me and turn away coz i'm totally opposite to wat u call a goth.

for me i can't really stereotype myself....i can be nerdy....some call me preppy just because i live on the northern beaches =S ....and i can be a surfie sometimes.....so i guess i'm a bit of everything.....

Last edited:

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
why hasnt anyone mentioned the surfer/skater type people?
surfer/skater looking guys are pretty hot... some of them are.
in about year 10 i thought the skater/surfer look was hot (i mean the way they dress). now its sorta immature and childish. i like i guy who is smart, can dress well, but still surf etc without having to look like he has no home or iron.

i generally get the guys who are the (unfortuantely) skater/surfer guys attracted to me, but also i get the rest..who arent goths. i dont hate goths or anything but like tharoxy2001 said, im the complete opposite.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
ive seen a new look of the surfer/skater, its more neater, but still have the messy hair.

kaylz

HSC
okay. nerd - no way. firstly they can't dress. secondly, if there ever was a good looking nerd, he would automatically be upgraded out of nerddom.
prep- yeah. they're so boring though.
goths- i hate the ones who just act like total salmon, conforming in their own way. sometimes they can be intriguing... the whole dark mysterious thing is kinda cool. but i mean, don't they ever wake up in the morning and think ohh i wish i could wear a pink shirt today

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
As long as the girls hot and not fat, then I don't care what she is.

malayansurf

HSC
no goths for me, they're just really weird..they do the weirdest things sometimes. i hate it how they're all like.."im so cool cause im non-conformist" but they're still conforming to their whole goth trend? so in the end they're not the individuals they want to be because there are so many of em hangin around doing whatever goths do.
i wouldn't mind a punk chick, they're alright. nerdy girls..nah...unless they were like half nerd/half prep or half nerd/half punk or something... dont like preps, they piss me off most of the time. i have a friend who's one of those girls who like to be "in" with all the latest stuff. she's hilarious, i was laughing at her one day for liking something which i didn't think she would like and she replied to me by saying "is this last season or something?!" that sorta attitude would piss me off but is hilariously funny.
surfer chick would be so cool..especially if she was hot cause the ones ive seen aren't that great.(the ones who actually surf or bodyboard..not the ones lyin on the beach sunbathin[wouldn't mind them either...]).

tyra

HSC
i wouldn't go for a full-on smart nerd who only wants to study all day and whose hang out joint is the local library... but i would go for a cute nerd like Milhouse from The Simpsons. they'd be fun to hang around with. i still rank goths high on my list as long as they're not the depressive, deeply insightful types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)