Would u still do English (1 Viewer)

inconnuBubble

HSC
Am i the only one that noticed that ENTER is written instead of ATAR?

Also, if i could study how punctuation and grammar is used instead of the themes and results of those themes i would be a happier student.
Agreed >_<

_GOD_

HSC
No way i wouldn't do it
fkn hate the subject
soo useless
might as well make timber compulsory

_GOD_

HSC
ummm they said "i hate english" not "i hate eng advanced"
why would you do more english than you have to if you hate it?

and yes i know many people can hate eng advanced and love eng extension 1. i was one of them!
uuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yer ok

Dannnyku

HSC
I used to hate english! But it's turned into one of my favourite subjects in year 12. maybe cos our teachers are cool.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Also, if i could study how punctuation and grammar is used instead of the themes and results of those themes i would be a happier student.

Serious? Proper grammar is really, really dry.

-tal-

HSC
Am i the only one that noticed that ENTER is written instead of ATAR?
Oh lol, ENTER is the ATAR equivalent in Victoria or something.

Would still do English I reckon, as horrible as it is.

Jemelet

HSC
Serious? Proper grammar is really, really dry.
i mean, i would rather study something that would actually improve my writing and spelling. themes are so stressed in English its hardly English.

kurty

HSC
hahahaha i would drop english as quick as i could, but thats just cause i think it stupid, we can already speak the language so who cares any more :pirate::monkey::ninja::rofl:

brittanica-

HSC
Well in that case should it be included in your UAI or ATAR?? It is a subject that brings many people down in their HSC. My friend and I are top of all our subjects but last in English how is that fair? and if like some other comment was made that it is used to improve spelling and gramma why not teach us that? And many other things that are usefull in life?

wow your such a winger, me along with heaps of other people are struggling in things like maths and science but we do because we have to for units.
Just do the bloody subject and stop winging because your not going to change.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i am the son of an English/Modern History teacher. my father hasn't taught the HSC english for a number of years because he simply refuses to do so as he, and i, feel the course is just... a wank. the English Advanced course is amazingly difficult, i would argue harder than Ext1 Eng. and for 2 units of english to be compulsory, even (standard english is so silly), is just a stupid requirement for those of us looking to do maths based courses at university. the English syllabus needs to lose it's ego and go back to fundamentals of english, grammar, study and appreciation of great works of literature, writing skillz etc.

ftsklol_

HSC
It's not compulsory at my school, but heaps of people still do English.
I know a lot of people who do double majors, as well.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
English sucks, I would've loved to do bio or something else instead :( (just for prelim year...)

Cloesd

HSC
Hey there students of NSW!

If English was a non compulsory subject would you still chose it?? Do you believe that learning about Hamlet and literary techniques will help u in your life?? This is just a curious question to see how everyone feels about English as a subject

OR!!! Shoudl the English corse be reformed so that rather then all "Text apreciation as my teacher puts it" they should change it like maths and have the General corse for practical applications of English rather then text apreciation and have the Adv corse for the theoretical stuff
The second one,

What i mean by that is, English (rename the subject), should focus on what literature aims to do. Persuasion to a point of view, inform, etc. This should be the heart of the syllabus. You should not be marked on whether you can cram 15 visual techniques into a 1200 word essay. You should be simply marked on your ability to convince.

The degree to which you convince the marker of your point of view, should be your mark, and to make if fair, in all your essay questions; the marker states their current view before they give you the question, and your job is to argue the exact opposite of it.

That.. would be an interesting, well scaling subject.

Idea 2:
Scrap English altogether, replace it with the basics of another language.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I would still do English, but not English Standard. I find it intellectually unsatisfying and it bores me to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)