Would u still do English (1 Viewer)

rainbow stylin

HSC
yes i would :) its simple and an easy way for me to get marks. its where my strength lies really.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Regardless you should study english, because, admit it, you do learn important skills for use in later life. I shall posit myself as a student studying law and the benefits of studying English.

1. you learn how to analyse and critically evaluate: you need these skills (as a lawyer at least =P)
2. written communication skills are build and improved
3. some of the themes and issues you learn about (albeit lightly) in English sometimes will occasionally pop up in your course - my example, Orwellian tendencies for management
4. oral tasks help increase confidence and ability for public speaking

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
i am the son of an English/Modern History teacher. my father hasn't taught the HSC english for a number of years because he simply refuses to do so as he, and i, feel the course is just... a wank. the English Advanced course is amazingly difficult, i would argue harder than Ext1 Eng. and for 2 units of english to be compulsory, even (standard english is so silly), is just a stupid requirement for those of us looking to do maths based courses at university. the English syllabus needs to lose it's ego and go back to fundamentals of english, grammar, study and appreciation of great works of literature, writing skillz etc.
lol uh.. in terms of the amount of work per unit the subject is worth, definitely no.

HSC
i get quite good marks in it
but the second half of year 12 has made me hate english.
i think its the texts we did :|

so at the moment, id probably say i wouldnt do it.
but then english is my subject that one day i like it, the next day i dont.
so who knows what ill think tomorrow.
and today i like it lol

yes i would :) its simple and an easy way for me to get marks. its where my strength lies really.
this. i have bludged all year in english. didnt study (apart from the trials) and still ended up with high 80's or 90's in all assessment tasks. as well as really high rankings.

Xcelz

HSC
not a fan of english. only 12 eng advanced students in my year out of 40.

Nicholas727

HSC
Extension 1 English sucks. Especially for 1 unit.
This is true. They should force 4-unit english students to accelerate advanced and turn ex1 and ex2 english into 2 units each, ala mathematics. Suddenly these subjects would start to scale significantly higher, I bet..

HSC
Hmm, I dunno. I'm just talking about my experiences, but, it's somewhat hard to accelerate English. I don't believe that a Yr 10/11 kid has matured (mentally) enough to take on an English course. It's more than just memorisation.
i agree with this.

Nicholas727

HSC
Hmm, I dunno. I'm just talking about my experiences, but, it's somewhat hard to accelerate English. I don't believe that a Yr 10/11 kid has matured (mentally) enough to take on an English course. It's more than just memorisation.
I disagree, I would assume prelim ex1 students are writing at a level that goes far above and beyond most of standard and even some of the advanced canditure in year 12. I don't see what is stopping what would have to be a high level english student from understanding modules like 'belonging' and 'conflicting perspectives'

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, a lot of schools force Yr 11 students to do English Ext 1 in Yr 11.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
no. i wouldnt. ever.

boganxcore

HSC
yes, considering it was one of my best subjects and im hoping for band 6 in advanced and E4 in extension 1, i have no idea about extension 2!

5233andy

HSC
My idea is the literature is synonymous with sociology and philosophy. In that sense, I'd study sociology and philosophy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)