Would you reccommend extension? (1 Viewer)

Would you reccommend picking up ext?

• Yes

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Only if you're a good writer

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Do yourself a favour and stay the hell away

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
also, how long is the major work? is it like extension english where you're looking at 6000+, or less?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
also, how long is the major work? is it like extension english where you're looking at 6000+, or less?
ours has to be between 2000 - 2500

HSC
glycerine...if u like history and a decent writer i suggest u do it...if u do modern extension ull get minuitti and apparently she's a really good hist ext teacher (makes u do heaps of work) from what I hear.
I do ancient ext and I enjoy it cos its a different perspective of looking at history...but i like history....
And if you're worried about the major work, it isn't too bad...2500 words is not much considering how much research u do for it....I'm actually 2000 words over for my first draft....:-S

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I have minuitti for modern this year, she's told me I should do it :)
2,500 isn't much at all, when people say 'major work' I keep thinking of my eternally unfinished extension two english mw which is theoretically 6,000 words...
who do you have for ancient ext? mulligan or trevini? (or someone else, they're the only two teachers I know who teach ancient :p)

cyanide

*loved extension*

*is biased*

take it dude!

the tricky part is to actually get everything you wanna say within the 2 500 word limit

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah. if you enjoy history (even if only occasionally) then it's pretty easy and not too much work. basically just reading texts and then spewing them onto paper come exam time + essay which you can do within a week and get a great result. it's easy marks and I always liked it. + you don't need to be a 'writer' to do it. the only difference between ancient/modern history essays and extension essays is the 'accoring to herodotus' on the front of every second or so paragraph.

HSC
Originally posted by glycerine

who do you have for ancient ext? mulligan or trevini? (or someone else, they're the only two teachers I know who teach ancient :p)
Mulligan, but i have trevini for normal ancient. and I guess debres is an ancient teacher too...cos he teaches ancient, or has an ancient class at least.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i have trevini for ancient too. pls kill me if i wind up with debres somehow, i'd like to actually have a shot at doing well :rolleyes: (sorry... don't like him v much)

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
history extension is just like any of the history subjects as it all involves u to analyse sources, write an extended response and provide sum reason or ur own judgement.
well 4 me i c it as an extended application from the english advance course, or mayb an equivalent to english extension 1 (i'm not sure on dat coz i dont do ext. english)!
so if u hab a great of interest in history and historiography then pick the unit and do it!

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I'm in year 11 atm, and am seriously considering doing Ext. History next year.
However, the HSIE coordinator strongle recommends we don't do it; I don't know what to do.
What sort of things are actually studied, and what does the major work involve?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
That's wierd that the HSIE coordinator doesn't recommend it...

You basically learn 'what is history' by looking at different historians and they aims/methodology/construction of the history etc.

Then you do a case study in class whether it be JFK, tastitus etc and you concentrate on different aspects of it. I'm doing JFK and we look at private vs public man, and different issues. You can find out more about it by getting the syllabus off the Board of Studies site.

The major work requires dedication, and involves a lot of research...but it isn't too bad (keep in mind I haven't made a real start yet)...you basically keep researching throughout the first term and a bit, and then you start writing the project which is generally 2000-2500 words.

I know that wasn't too helpful, sorry :)

Last edited:

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Topic one: what is history?
you learn about a bunch f historians and the different views of history, which is so very exciting.

project:
you can basically do anything as long as it is not directly related to any syllabus.

topic 2:
a case study.

very brief im tired can't be bothered im sure someone will answer better but thats it in a nutshell. why don't they recommend it?

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
That's wierd that the HSIE coordinator doesn't recommend it...

You basically learn 'what is history' by looking at different historians and they aims/methodology/construction of the history etc.

Then you do a case study in class whether it be JFK, tastitus etc and you concentrate on different aspects of it. I'm doing JFK and we look at private vs public man, and different issues. You can find out more about it by getting the syllabus off the Board of Studies site.

The major work requires dedication, and involves a lot of research...but it isn't too bad (keep in mind I haven't made a real start yet)...you basically keep researching throughout the first term and a bit, and then you start writing the project which is generally 200-2500 words.

I know that wasn't too helpful, sorry :)
200 word project? your lucky ;)

cartzz

HSC
If your not sure, find out as much stuff you can before making your decision. You will hate ext if you're not interested in what you're doing.

sharronx

i recomend it. it scales quite well and is not hard to get marks for as long as you grasp the concept of the purpose of history, postmodern theories, blah blah blah.
i slept in hist ext class (because it was an afternoon class) and used my notes given to me by my teacher as rough paper for maths questions and never studied for it except an hour before the exam. still managed to scrape an average of 19/25, which isn't good, but you wouldn't be able to get away with something like that for eng ext or *shiver* maths ext.

niteshade1312

HSC
i love ext. It's really interesting, and I dont think you have you be good at english to do it. I suck at english and seem to be doing okay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)