Would You Recommend B Commerce at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

minzoir

HSC
Hey forum.
I come seeking advice in regards to B Commerce at UNSW.
I would love any replies/comments about this course.

Q1.
What are the lecturers and tutes like?

Q2.
Does this course have a good reputation?

Q3.
What majors did you choose and did you enjoy them?

Q4.
Did/do you find the course enjoyable?

Q5.
How did you find the workload?

Q6.
Would you recommend this course over MAQ or UTS?

All advice is welcomed.
Thank you for any replies, it is very much appreciated!
Minzoir

garrry

HSC
Q1.
Lecturers can get boring at times, especially if you dont enjoy that particular course or the lecturer is not engaging. Tutes are similar to a school environment in that there is about 20-25 ppl in the class.

Q2.
Yes

Q3.
Only in first year, working towards actuarial and econometrics majors. Only do something that you will enjoy...

Q4.
Yup

Q5.
Takes getting used to especially in first semester and it can get intense if you fall behind.. which is easy to do. But you can manage since commerce contact hours are generally 12 hrs a week (2 or 3 days per week). Also depends on which majors you choose.

Q6.
Not sure about the actuarial program at MAQ but UNSW commerce is still great.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey forum.

Q1.

Q2.

Q3.

Q4.

Q5.

Q6.

All advice is welcomed.
Minzoir
Commerce is okay here... it can be a bit of a hit-and-miss when it comes to tutes and lectures. I've found finance to be unfortunately a bit sub-standard considering I had great tutes and lecturers last semester for Accounting and Economics.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Commerce is okay here... it can be a bit of a hit-and-miss when it comes to tutes and lectures. I've found finance to be unfortunately a bit sub-standard considering I had great tutes and lecturers last semester for Accounting and Economics.

Accounting lecturers are a joke, soz.

Tazzz

HSC
Q1.
varies depending on who ur lecturer/ tutor is if there good then its good...
Q2.
the best or equal best with usyd imo
Q3.
just finished 1st yr so no real major experience but its interesting
Q4.
some
Q5.
its commerce econ, acct, fins is easy actl and maths is harder. plus u go 2 or 3 days so u got plenty of time to study
Q6.
yes, i hear maq is shit from my friends who went there, they say they are very unorganised with their courses, i have never had this problem with unsw.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey forum.

Q1.

Q2.

Q3.

Q4.

Q5.

Q6.

All advice is welcomed.
Minzoir
1. they are mostly shit with some exceptions
2. yes
3. haven't decided yet
4. not really
5. manageable
6. no

jaychouf4n

HSC
1. They suck, though there are exceptions if you get sick lecturer or tutor who actually cares about you learning. Also, if you study law at unsw, you realize how horrible commerce lecturers are compared to law lecturers.

2. Very good reputation. (only in australia though, if you're thinking global, you're better off going to the big name colleges like upenn, Harvard, nyu)

3. I chose actuarial. It's a bit of a love hate relationship. I love keeping up my quantitative skills, reminiscing about my past love of maths. Though at the same time statistics makes me want to kill myself, so there's a lot of hate there.

4. Workload is easy. Tbh, commerce with majors like finance and accounting, even actuarial to an extent, are jokes when it comes to difficulty compared to courses like engineering.

5. Don't really want to be studying at all, if I didn't have to, so no it isn't really enjoyable. (then again what study is?)

[I mixed up q4 and q5 but Cbf changing it)

6. I would recommend Macquarie for actuarial. I hear uts accounting co op is good, and that their finance courses are really good. Otherwise, unsw all the way!

tau281290

HSC
q1. Boring and boring, mostly

q2. probably, but getting shittier year by year apparently

q3. Economics/Finance. They teach mostly useless stuff i.e. knowledge that you won't be able to make money with (especially finance). I am the biggest disbeliever of what they teach. Just do it for the uni qualifications, good education is from good books outside.

q4. Kind of, because it was such a breeze most of the time.

q5. Not much

q6. How would I know. I haven't been to MAQ or UTS before.

SO would I recommend B Commerce at UNSW?? Yes, not because of what/how they teach but because that's the only few choices available in Sydney/Australia.

Last edited:

ct92

HSC
Q1. Lectures are interesting if the subject is interesting, and just okay if it isn't. Tutorials are just like school, for the most part. I've attended pretty much all of each, though I think that's rare.

Q2. It doesn't have a bad reputation, so I guess that's what matters.

Q3. I'm doing finance and business law in the commerce half, and economics. I'm enjoying finance, business law is often interesting (loved LEGT2712, hated LEGT2741). Economics is okay, and there's a lot of variety in terms of focus once you get to the electives.

Q4. As I said above, I do generally enjoy it though some subjects are a bit annoying. If I could choose again, I'd probably choose the same thing.

Q5. The workload is not too bad. Most of my subjects don't have much reading, but the ones that do tend to be somewhat engaging. I overloaded last semester for about four weeks, and the workload was fine.

Q6. I chose it over Macquarie and UTS because of the Group of Eight thing primarily, though I know that's not actually very important. Macquarie was my third preference, I think, and I decided against UTS because their course seemed a bit more practical, and that wasn't what I wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)