XP sp2 released (3 Viewers)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
just wondering, whats your opinion of it? should i d/l it?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Everyone running XP should download it.

fatmuscle

HSC
just be careful if you need to run IIS or anything.

you might have to roll-back to XP (no service packs), install, then reinstall all SPs

but yes, SP2 is good.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I tried out the beta versions, 2096, and it was an excellent improvement (especially for tablet users)...
EDIT:
Wait, you just posted a beta version.
Thought so, coz it wasnt to be released until next year.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Grizzly said:
Wait, you just posted a beta version.
Thought so, coz it wasnt to be released until next year.
SP2? Next year?

sunny

meh.
HSC
According to the posted website SP2 has already been RTMed and is being released on Tuesday.....even the MS website seems to be getting ready for it too.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
sunny said:
According to the posted website SP2 has already been RTMed and is being released on Tuesday.....even the MS website seems to be getting ready for it too.
Oh ok i see.
Because the only one i knew of is about 280mbs.
Clicky!

Winston

HSC
I've got it installed already so far so good, i've progressively tested other builds, it's promising, and i really like it, MS has done a really good job with it, eliminating most DCOM and RPC security issues, IE is great with the new features. RTM should be released in a day or two, it will make it to WAU by 25th August as stated.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Can you just download this from the normal "Windows Update" website by clicking on "scan for updates":confused:?

Winston

HSC
Merethrond said:
Can you just download this from the normal "Windows Update" website by clicking on "scan for updates":confused:?
It's not officially RTW'ed yet.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
apparently it will work even if you have a pirated copy of windows!
amazing!

i won't bother downloading it, i'll just wait until microsoft releases the free update CD
still deciding to install it even when i get it because i have never ever updated windows, 95, 98, 2000...never installed any updates and they all worked fine

sunny

meh.
HSC
redslert said:
apparently it will work even if you have a pirated copy of windows!
amazing!
Yes. Which is for the greater good. It ensures computing in general gets the benefits of SP2.

redslert said:
i have never ever updated windows, 95, 98, 2000...never installed any updates and they all worked fine
That was because in the past all service packs were simply a large collection of patches that might or might not have affected you in the first place. The big fuss about XP SP2 is that it is not just a collection of patches, but there are actually a number of new features for Windows that are installed with SP2.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Winston said:
It's not officially RTW'ed yet.
Oh, OK. You will be able to download it from there when it is released though, right? Also what does RTW stand for, I'm guessing basically released:confused:?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Merethrond:

What can you do now to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2?
The best way to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by using the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Visit the Protect Your PC site to let us turn it on for you or follow three manual steps—either way you’ll get Service Pack 2 automatically as Microsoft releases it. Turning on Automatic Updates today allows your PC to begin downloading important updates automatically, including the latest version of Windows Update. It also ensures you will receive future updates, such as Service Pack 2.

From the Windows Update site, http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Winston

HSC
Merethrond said:
Oh, OK. You will be able to download it from there when it is released though, right? Also what does RTW stand for, I'm guessing basically released:confused:?
That's true, RTW stands for Released To Web. and like suggested, have Automatic Updates turned on. However for WAU, it's said to be for 25th August, but the express network download should be released within these few days.

fatmuscle

HSC
there's advantages of turning on auto update, and the disadvantages.

if you ahve multiple pc's at home that need updating, and low bandwidth or a low download limit... not such a good idea.

XP SP2 is quite large, so be warned all you low bandwidth/download limit users!!!!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Generator said:
Merethrond:

What can you do now to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2?
The best way to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by using the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Visit the Protect Your PC site to let us turn it on for you or follow three manual steps—either way you’ll get Service Pack 2 automatically as Microsoft releases it. Turning on Automatic Updates today allows your PC to begin downloading important updates automatically, including the latest version of Windows Update. It also ensures you will receive future updates, such as Service Pack 2.

From the Windows Update site, http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
Thanks Generator, but I already read that. The thing is, as fatmuscle said, if I turn on the Automatic Update feature my Internet connection speed will suffer drastically as I am on a 56 Kbps modem connection:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)