• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: The p00n thread

Not enough practice and stupid mistakes. Might have something to do with my mindset...
What do you mean exactly by not enough practice? As in you didn't know how to answer some questions?

Carrot teach me your confidence building ways
Hard to help develop that online.

Can you tell me how you are with Maths homework from say school?

================

Also guise I'm going to move this convo to Year 11 Chit Chat if you don't mind!

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC

Did you make one of your signatures using tapatalk?
I don't remember, I'll TRY to fix it if I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

moni5281

HSC
I was in a similar situation to you, in that I had no intention to pick up English Extension One at all. I wasn't doing particularly poorly in English, but I was thinking Advanced English was hard enough, I was questioning whether I will survive if I picked up English Extension One along with it as well. However, our school had a compulsory 12 units system for year 11, and I knew I had to do maths extension one-loved maths, so I needed to pick a one unit subject to fill up my 12 units, however, the other two subjects on offer-Photography and Studies of Religion 1 was subjects I wasn't particularly keen on, and so I just took a leap of faith and decided to do English Extension One. Looking back, I was so glad I made that decision, since I absolutely loved every minute of English Extension One classes-you get the opportunity to delve so much more deeper into analysis and modules whereas in Advanced English I often feel it was quite hurried. You can definitely cope even if your reading speed is not the best in the world, you just need to make sure you develop your analytical skills. Creative writing-read good creative, write based on what you know and practice and get feedback-repeating this process helps you ace your creative:)

Congratulations on taking up Japanese-it is always important to do subjects you love-(you might want to change your subjects in your signature:))-best wishes for you to achieve your ATAR aim:)
thanks for your input! haha btw i really love maths too :) totally the same situation, was thinking that advanced was enough for me. the only other one unit subject that my school offers is philosophy and it runs after school so i'm not really keen on that lol. oh well, i'll just see how it goes then.

Examine

same
HSC
For the BOSers that are doing/did Biology and Economics which do you prefer? I'm considering dropping economics for biology but I'm not too sure.
Can't give any info about Bio, though I can for Eco. Tbh during prelims I didn't really like the subject (mainly because I picked it because I thought we would learn to invest in shares and when I found out we didn't then I cbf'd it). However, I found the content in Economics so much more interesting. It really broadens your view on the economic world and once you finish the HSC course you are left with knowledge which I and many other students have found really valuable. For example, once you are done with the HSC course you will understand how macroeconomic/microeconomic/environmental management policies affect the Australian economy, and their impact on various economic issues such as eco growth, unemployment and inflation. For another topic, you learn about these economic issues in terms of what they are, what causes them, what effect they have on an economy, and the trends of these issues during crucial times such as the global resources boom, the gfc and post-gfc. (these are 2 of the 4 topics in the HSC)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC

What do you mean exactly by not enough practice? As in you didn't know how to answer some questions?

================

No worries friend

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

for those having confidence issues i went from getting marks of about 70 raw in 3u during prelim to averaging about 85 raw in the 4u hsc, not because i was smart but because i had serious confidence issues in prelim, to the extent where my teacher would literally call me in outside of the class i.e. during lunch or after school to build upon my ability to handle exam stress and give me tips. I didn't suddenly get smarter in year 12, my improvement had nothing to do with that but it made me realise just how much of an impact a lack of confidence could have on your marks. The most important thing about improving confidence is that if you can improve it, it can provide such a massive improvement regardless of your actual ability. It ultimately becomes something that holds you back more than any other thing to do with your natural flair for maths or how "smart" you are.

moni5281

HSC
I'd say take up extension English, if you think you'll enjoy it with the right teacher it's worth a shot! Plus you'll gain valuable skills that'll help you with your other subs :) congrats on your essay writing mark!
thinking of doing so, got until monday to decide!

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC

================

Yes, but that was not the main factor. It's the fact that I wasn't prepared enough, however: most questions weren't that difficult and I guess I spaced out because I knew I wasn't prepared. This resulted in a lot of stupid mistakes mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

moni5281

HSC
Pick up Legal and join the Eco/Business/Legal master race :p In all seriousness, once you reach year 12 do you plan to drop EE1? When I picked up EE1 it was mainly because I didn't want to have 13 units (wanted them frees) and at the time nothing else seemed interesting, so I went in with the mentality that I would drop it. In hindsight I really regret picking it up for that reason and wished I picked something like Bio/Geo/PD (all which seemed somewhat interesting during subject selections).

Despite this, being comfortable with the teacher you have for English would be vital, especially since you guys are starting a new AOS and modules, so I'd take that into consideration as well.
this is actually very true, only problem is none of the other subjects on the available line dont even seem slightly appealing to me :p pdh = bleurgh, science = ok at it but think its boring and would not be able to tolerate studying, legal = i think i would find it boring and the teacher hates me lol, textiles = cant operate a sewing machine so yeah haha i'm kinda screwed.

i do plan on dropping english ext if i take it, but that is because i may want to take MX2

plus - my teacher for english right now literally dances around in class and all my classmates talk non-stop :/

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
Can't give any info about Bio, though I can for Eco. Tbh during prelims I didn't really like the subject (mainly because I picked it because I thought we would learn to invest in shares and when I found out we didn't then I cbf'd it). However, I found the content in Economics so much more interesting. It really broadens your view on the economic world and once you finish the HSC course you are left with knowledge which I and many other students have found really valuable. For example, once you are done with the HSC course you will understand how macroeconomic/microeconomic/environmental management policies affect the Australian economy, and their impact on various economic issues such as eco growth, unemployment and inflation. For another topic, you learn about these economic issues in terms of what they are, what causes them, what effect they have on an economy, and the trends of these issues during crucial times such as the global resources boom, the gfc and post-gfc. (these are 2 of the 4 topics in the HSC)
If the 2 topics don't seem that interesting then I suggest picking up Bio because the course is really content heavy, and a combination of having no interest and the huge amount of content the course has apparently makes people want to smash their head into a wall repeatedly (an exaggeration here but you get the point :p ).

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
this is actually very true, only problem is none of the other subjects on the available line dont even seem slightly appealing to me :p pdh = bleurgh, science = ok at it but think its boring and would not be able to tolerate studying, legal = i think i would find it boring and the teacher hates me lol, textiles = cant operate a sewing machine so yeah haha i'm kinda screwed.

plus - my teacher for english right now literally dances around in class and all my classmates talk non-stop :/
Funny story, once in year year 8 I sewed my thumb with the machine

IcyRain

HSC
Textiles was a fun subject in year 7 and 8 for me. Just use to floor the sewing machine pedal to make the job faster :p

moni5281

HSC
i'm actually aiming for a band 6 for every subject right now! we'll see how it goes :lol:

Examine

same
HSC

Yeah pick up EE1 even if it is a fodder. From your descriptions of the available subjects it seems that you wouldn't enjoy them at all, so you might as well go with the option which gets you a better teacher. For example, at my school they always assign a senior HSC marker for the top class (got in because I fluked a 90 in SC English despite my yearly results showing low 70s hahah) and she was so good/dedicated that lots of students tried to transfer into our class. Honestly, imo having a great teacher for English Advanced will really help you a lot for the HSC.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
omg!! happened to my friend too!! for me i literally got my other friends to sew all my stuff for me
I honestly suck at any 'ladylike' activities
Cooking=no
Sewing=no
Knitting=no
Being lady=no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)