Year 11 definitions (1 Viewer)

Coookies

HSC
So my prelim knowledge has a lot of holes and if I don't fill up these holes, they will hurt me severely in the HSC.

Can someone tell me the differences in dispersion forces, hydrogen bonding, ionic bonding etc (Theres a lot more but I can't think of any, if you know any more important ones, please explain those too!)

Coookies

HSC
So mean :(
Teaching others actually benefits yourself (probably more than me) so yeah..

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Here's a very general description just to get the idea across.

Disperson Force

Very temporary attracting forces between two molecules. This is usually because some molecules have *slightly* positive and *slightly* negative regions, and they attract very weakly (and temporarily) with other slightly negative and positive regions from other molecules respectively.

Equivalent: You walking past a friend (for the sake of 'attraction', let us presume friend is female). You quickly say hi and she returns the gesture and you both keep walking with your own business.

Hydrogen Bonding

A much stronger force where a Hydrogen (very positive) atom is heavily attracted to another (very negative) atom. The very negative atom is usually a Fluorine, Oxygen or Nitrogen.

Equivalent: You are a very attractive man. There is an equally attractive female. Both of you go out on a date and even become boyfriend/girlfriend.

Ionic Bonding

An EXTREMELY powerful attraction between a cation (metal usually) or an anion (non-metal usually). This bonding is intramolecular (occurs between actual ATOMS not just molecules).

Equivalent: You are married and have no intention of leaving your wife. Inseparable unless you come across extremely difficult circumstances.

xDarkSilent

HSC
Uni Grad
Dispersion forces - are normally between all molecules

Hydrogen bonding - If it happens it must have a hydrogen - but with FON - Fluorine / Oxygen / Nitrogen

Dipole - Dipole Bonding - attractive forces between the positive end of one polar molecule and the negative end of another polar molecule

G0

HSC
can someone explain how to distinguish whether a molecule/substance is polar or non polar?

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Polar molecules:-
Examples of household polar molecules include sugar (sucrose). Polar molecules are generally able to dissolve in water (H2O) due to the polar nature of water.
Polar molecules have slightly positive and slightly negatively charged ends.

Non-polar molecules:-
A non-polar compound occurs when there is an equal sharing of electrons between two atoms. Examples of household non-polar compounds include fats, oil and petrol. Like dissolves like. Therefore, Most non-polar molecules are water insoluble (hydrophobic) at room temperature

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hydrogen Bonding

A much stronger force where a Hydrogen (very positive) atom is heavily attracted to another (very negative) atom. The very negative atom is usually a Fluorine, Oxygen or Nitrogen.

Equivalent: You are a very attractive man. There is an equally attractive female. Both of you go out on a date and even become boyfriend/girlfriend.
It's probably worth mentioning that the hydrogen needs to be bonded (intramolecular) to a highly electronegative atom to be able to form hydrogen bonds (intermolecular).
Example: N-H...F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)