• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11/senior subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Shavi Masee

HSC
I'm currently in yr 10 struggling to decide what I want to do. Should I pick based on what I want to do in the future (I still don't know, probably health related), getting a high ATAR, or what I like?
My current picks are:
- English Standard
- Math Advanced (maybe ext 1 if recommended)
- Music 1 or 2 (depending on availability)
- SOR 1 or SCT (its compulsory)
- 1 or 2 science (still deciding on what. Is it possible to get a really high ATAR with just 1 science subject?)
Possible options -
- Photography 1 unit (yr 11 only)
- Entertainment Industry VET course
- Visual Arts

These are my options that I want to choose from

katiekms

HSC
I'm currently in yr 10 struggling to decide what I want to do. Should I pick based on what I want to do in the future (I still don't know, probably health related), getting a high ATAR, or what I like?
My current picks are:
- English Standard
- Math Advanced (maybe ext 1 if recommended)
- Music 1 or 2 (depending on availability)
- SOR 1 or SCT (its compulsory)
- 1 or 2 science (still deciding on what. Is it possible to get a really high ATAR with just 1 science subject?)
Possible options -
- Photography 1 unit (yr 11 only)
- Entertainment Industry VET course
- Visual Arts

These are my options that I want to choose from
i can’t decide for you, but i just wanted to say it’s possible to get any atar with any subject combination. it doesn’t matter if you do one science, as long as that’s what you are happy with doing.

Shavi Masee

HSC
i can’t decide for you, but i just wanted to say it’s possible to get any atar with any subject combination. it doesn’t matter if you do one science, as long as that’s what you are happy with doing.
Oh that's okay. Thanks though!

Neogotmyback

HSC
I second katiekms on the fact that a high atar is always possible, just choose stuff you like. If you are interested in health, check out some univeristy's premed course prerequisites (assumed knowledge is not compulsory), usually things are pretty lenient as to what HSC subjects you choose. Another thing to note is that you can do a bachelor of science (with a different major, i.e molecular biology) before doing a masters in medicine. This can allow you to get into the med field without the pressure of getting into med school straight out of highschool, so don't stress too much about uni right now. Science subjects will also require a decent amount of work, so make sure to choose one you enjoy.
Personally, I would also recommend visual art. It is a great outlet and a good brain break during year 12, plus if you put in the work it is not too hard to do very well. Additionally, maybe consider english advanced if you are sitting above a C in English right now, it doesn't hurt and you can always drop down if its not your thing. If you have a careers advisor at school, they are always great to talk to. Otherwise, your current picks look good! :D

P.s if you are going to do music and art, consider that 2 major works will be intense.

qweeosh

HSC
same opinion with above, for base subjects (English and Math) try and choose the higher level if you can since you can just drop down if its too hard. As for the other subjects, its really up to you and strengths. When considering the sciences, choose the one you are most confident in and if don't want to do one science just do one! You can get a high atar with any combination of subjects. As for the other possible options, Art is pretty good but that depends on how good of a teacher you have since a chill teacher basically means that subject class becomes a break in your busy timetable. But again what subjects you choose is dependant on your own capabilities.

Shavi Masee

HSC
same opinion with above, for base subjects (English and Math) try and choose the higher level if you can since you can just drop down if its too hard. As for the other subjects, its really up to you and strengths. When considering the sciences, choose the one you are most confident in and if don't want to do one science just do one! You can get a high atar with any combination of subjects. As for the other possible options, Art is pretty good but that depends on how good of a teacher you have since a chill teacher basically means that subject class becomes a break in your busy timetable. But again what subjects you choose is dependant on your own capabilities.
Thanks so much I think I'm getting more of an idea!
I've narrowed down to:
(2) Math Ext 1(still need a recommendation)
(2) English Adv (I'll drop if it's too hard)
(1) SCT
(2) Music 1 or 2
(2) Chem
(2) Physics -

I honestly do well in all science subjects, we just started physics though so I'm just gonna check it out before deciding completely.

Shavi Masee

HSC
I second katiekms on the fact that a high atar is always possible, just choose stuff you like. If you are interested in health, check out some univeristy's premed course prerequisites (assumed knowledge is not compulsory), usually things are pretty lenient as to what HSC subjects you choose. Another thing to note is that you can do a bachelor of science (with a different major, i.e molecular biology) before doing a masters in medicine. This can allow you to get into the med field without the pressure of getting into med school straight out of highschool, so don't stress too much about uni right now. Science subjects will also require a decent amount of work, so make sure to choose one you enjoy.
Personally, I would also recommend visual art. It is a great outlet and a good brain break during year 12, plus if you put in the work it is not too hard to do very well. Additionally, maybe consider english advanced if you are sitting above a C in English right now, it doesn't hurt and you can always drop down if its not your thing. If you have a careers advisor at school, they are always great to talk to. Otherwise, your current picks look good! :D

P.s if you are going to do music and art, consider that 2 major works will be intense.
Currently in English my grade changes drastically. My last assessment in year 9 I did sooo well, but in year 10 I didn't do well in my first exam. I recently had done another exam a few weeks ago, hopefully based on the results I'll be more confident in choosing english adv.

I think I would enjoy art a lot and my teacher is great. I honestly find analysing art easier than quotes in English T-T
Fr I'm afraid that 2 major works are a lot of pressure.

Neogotmyback

HSC
Currently in English my grade changes drastically. My last assessment in year 9 I did sooo well, but in year 10 I didn't do well in my first exam. I recently had done another exam a few weeks ago, hopefully based on the results I'll be more confident in choosing english adv.

I think I would enjoy art a lot and my teacher is great. I honestly find analysing art easier than quotes in English T-T
Fr I'm afraid that 2 major works are a lot of pressure.
That is excellent that you enjoy art, keep feeding that spark. In terms of english, don't give up on it because I was in exactly the same position as you are right now. I was getting Cs and my careers advisor was trying to get me to choose standard. I ended up doing advanced and was getting As in year 11. I guess the content just really resonated with me.
With art, also consider if art history and analysis is your thing, if not maybe work on your essay skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)