Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aysce

HSC
For the 2013 HSCers or anyone who remembers prelim chem work:

Is Gay Lussac's law of combining gases relevant to HSC course work? I'm learning it atm but I don't understand how it is applied in stoichiometry and I need help :(

HSC
That sounds pretty good - I wouldnt worry too much about the dates and stuff, most teachers wont hold small mistakes like that against you. Assuming a normal writing size, 8 pages in 40 minutes is a pretty solid effort.
thanks! Your feedback definitely helped a lot for sure :)

For the 2013 HSCers or anyone who remembers prelim chem work:

Is Gay Lussac's law of combining gases relevant to HSC course work? I'm learning it atm but I don't understand how it is applied in stoichiometry and I need help :(
I think it is. I'm not sure though since I learnt it in prelim and some schools definitely test on that. As for the actual HSC no idea sorry

Aysce

HSC
I think it is. I'm not sure though since I learnt it in prelim and some schools definitely test on that. As for the actual HSC no idea sorry
I don't suppose you still know how to apply these laws in stoichiometry? :)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Aysce:

- Gay-Lussac found that the volume of gases (under the same conditions) was not conserved in a chemical reaction such as one between hydrogen and oxygen gas.

- However, he found that the ratio of reactants and products appeared as simple whole number.

- Dalton tried to explain Gay-Lussac’s results using the assumption that equal volumes of gas contain equal numbers of atoms, but this meant that atoms would be split in half which Dalton found unacceptable since be believed that atoms were the basic building blocks of matter.

- Avogadro later explained this by proposing that elements could form molecules ---> Avogadro’s law: equal number of molecules occupies the same volume at the same temperature and pressure.

Aysce

HSC
Aysce:

- Gay-Lussac found that the volume of gases (under the same conditions) was not conserved in a chemical reaction such as one between hydrogen and oxygen gas.

- However, he found that the ratio of reactants and products appeared as simple whole number.

- Dalton tried to explain Gay-Lussac’s results using the assumption that equal volumes of gas contain equal numbers of atoms, but this meant that atoms would be split in half which Dalton found unacceptable since be believed that atoms were the basic building blocks of matter.

- Avogadro later explained this by proposing that elements could form molecules ---> Avogadro’s law: equal number of molecules occupies the same volume at the same temperature and pressure.
I don't understand why atoms will be split in half?

Other than that I've read through the notes you've given me, read through information on the net and such and I understand most of it although the following exercises in Conquering Chem, I don't know how to do the exercises. I would post the question but I'm not sure if anyone remembers how to do it :/

HSC
I don't understand why atoms will be split in half?

Other than that I've read through the notes you've given me, read through information on the net and such and I understand most of it although the following exercises in Conquering Chem, I don't know how to do the exercises. I would post the question but I'm not sure if anyone remembers how to do it :/
atoms don't split up, molecules simply break and are rearranged.

Aysce

HSC
atoms don't split up, molecules simply break and are rearranged.
I know that, I was asking why having equal volumes of gas with equal number of atoms will result in them SUPPOSEDLY being split in half despite being impossible.

Eg155

HSC
i COMPLETELY FAILED MY ENGLISH EXAM!
AFTER FOUR DRAFTS I FORGOT EVERY SINGLE THING. IT WAS A FREAKING KINDERGARTENER'S ESSAY. HECK, THAT'S INSULTING TO THEM, THEY PROBABLY WRITE A LOT BETTER.

First 3 drafts were overy analysed and had too many '11 letter words'. Like, please get a dictionary.
So had to rewrite it again. Twice.
there goes a good 10% of my hsc.

Aysce

HSC
1. It's only 10% so don't worry.
2. Next minute, 100%.

Eg155

HSC
But like I deem it a fail, in all honesty. They mark extemely hard on English at my school.
No one goes into the HSC with any text that has been discussed at lengths and creative writing must not be tragic.

I only wrote like 4.5 pages of the writing booklet in 40 minutes... they're not even real pages....

Oh well, on the plus side I have a speech on monday worth 5%. I can own that, just need to modify the matter now.

enoilgam

HSC
But like I deem it a fail, in all honesty. They mark extemely hard on English at my school.
No one goes into the HSC with any text that has been discussed at lengths and creative writing must not be tragic.

I only wrote like 4.5 pages of the writing booklet in 40 minutes... they're not even real pages....

Oh well, on the plus side I have a speech on monday worth 5%. I can own that, just need to modify the matter now.
Shake it off Eg, it's only 10%. Just shift your focus towards the future!

Focus is Key

HSC
Yay just finished my Belonging speech with a 14.5/15 :) Really, really super pleased with that result :D I'm so happy with my Advanced English results lately. With a 13.5/15 for my Listening Task worth 15% (=1st place) and a 14.5/15 for Speeches also worth 15% (=1st place) I have surpassed what I thought I could achieve so far. Aiming to maintain or improve at this point.

Aysce

HSC
Great job Focus! Hopefully you can improve :)

starshine02

HSC
Yay just finished my Belonging speech with a 14.5/15 :) Really, really super pleased with that result :D I'm so happy with my Advanced English results lately. With a 13.5/15 for my Listening Task worth 15% (=1st place) and a 14.5/15 for Speeches also worth 15% (=1st place) I have surpassed what I thought I could achieve so far. Aiming to maintain or improve at this point.
That's great! I did my belonging speech today but I think I read a bit too fast and I stumbled near the end because I thought my it would run overtime sigh :/ Oh wells public speaking has never been a strength.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Wrote ~1150 words (8 pages) today for my Slessor essay, pretty happy. I think everything went well.

Economics on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)