Year 12-Changing from Economics to Geography plausable? (1 Viewer)

Brad1549

Premium Member
HSC
Hey everyone.

I'm in Year 12 HSC, and I'm finally deciding to drop Economics - I've put so much effort into this subject and the marks I've been hoping for just aren't coming back. The problem is, I'm on 10 units, and dropping Eco would take me down to 8.

So, I need to pick up something - Geography. I've always wanted to do Geography since day one, and I've finally decided to give it a go.

Do you guys think I could catch up with the rest of the crowd? Obviously I missed on on Term 4 last year of Year 12, so there is an entire topic to catch up on. However, with a tutor two times a week, as well as going to Sydney Uni seminars+summaries (of the entire course), do you think I could get up to speed?

Or is the Preliminary Course extremely important for Year 12 Geography? I know it's not assessed, and the skills learned from Year 11 I could easily learn quickly... But do you think I could cope?

All opinions welcome, thanks for reading this!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You're not allowed to do a HSC course without doing the prelim course. You have to stick with Economics.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Purely based on BOS, you wont be able to start the course almost a term and a half into year 12.

You may have been able to start it beginning of year 12 but not now.

One thread would have been sufficient too.

HSC
i say dont drop economics.

• For all that effort catching up on geo you could spend it on econ and ur other subjects.
  • eco scales better than geo
  • is it really worth dropping eco after all this time doing the sub.
  • why are u dropping it. i cant see that putting in effort and not getting the expected results should alter and give u the opinion to pick up a completely different subject.

Misyndo

HSC
i say dont drop economics.
why are u dropping it. i cant see that putting in effort and not getting the expected results should alter and give u the opinion to pick up a completely different subject.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
I would drop economics too if that was happening to me. Given that I had enough units too.

K

Kozak92

??????????????????????????????????????????????????
I would drop economics too if that was happening to me. Given that I had enough units too.
OP doesn't have enough units to drop it.

Misyndo

HSC
OP doesn't have enough units to drop it.
elliottjohnson was saying that if you had crap marks, you shouldn't change subjects.
Which to me, is a perfect reason to change/drop subjects.

Now the thread is about CHANGING subjects and elliottjohnson was saying that OP SHOULDN'T change Economics because he was getting crap/bad/unexpected marks.

HSC
elliottjohnson was saying that if you had crap marks, you shouldn't change subjects.
If this is your final year of school y would u change subjects to a completely new subject that u have to learn all over again. I can understand that if you wanted to change in prelim but not now.

I have a friend and after choosing physics and chemistry decided that he was better suited to modern and english ex. yet he still persists in phys and chem.

if Brad1549 did pick up geography, I dont think his mark for geo would be as good as if he had kept economics!

kyokaku92

HSC
Is that even possible? Mate, there is only 3 terms of high school left, very impossible to change unless you can cram the entire yr 11 and term 4 content in and half yearlies are coming up (that is unneccesary stress you are putting on yourself). I'd say, stick with ecos for another 7 months and then you can safely finish the HSC. :hammer:

MetroMattums

HSC
The same thing happened to me...

Don't give up on Economics. Just take the time to go through it carefully and get some other people to help you if you can.

K

Kozak92

Now the thread is about CHANGING subjects and elliottjohnson was saying that OP SHOULDN'T change Economics because he was getting crap/bad/unexpected marks.
"Crap marks" isn't a perfect reason to change/drop subjects during the HSC year. Ask any teacher they will respond the same. You're too far into the HSC course to have a change of mind and realize you are not very good at Economics. Thats what the prelim was for.

wendybird

HSC
I don't think its possible for you to pick up Geography because:

- Preliminary Geography is a pre-requisite for the completion of HSC Geography. That alone would prevent you from being able to do Geography.
- There are hours that you have to have done in terms of classroom contact. I believe its something like 60 per year. Highly unlikely you'd be able to catch up on those hours to be able to complete the requirements.

The ONLY subjects you can pick up in Year 12 are the extension subjects which are not taught in Yr 11.

- Extension Languages (but the 2U language is a pre-requisite)
- Extension History (one of the histories is a pre-requisite)
- English Extension 2. (you would have to be doing 3U English though).

It does seem far too late to be able to pick up one of those extensions though. EE2 and History X for example have major works that you'd be far behind in.

Unfortunately, due to having only 10 Units, you have little leeway. Your only real course of action is to stick with Economics and to do your best to improve in it. Try looking for a tutor, or getting extra help from your teacher.

Good luck.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think its possible for you to pick up Geography because:

- Preliminary Geography is a pre-requisite for the completion of HSC Geography. That alone would prevent you from being able to do Geography.
- There are hours that you have to have done in terms of classroom contact. I believe its something like 60 per year. Highly unlikely you'd be able to catch up on those hours to be able to complete the requirements.

The ONLY subjects you can pick up in Year 12 are the extension subjects which are not taught in Yr 11.

- Extension Languages (but the 2U language is a pre-requisite)
- Extension History (one of the histories is a pre-requisite)
- English Extension 2. (you would have to be doing 3U English though).

It does seem far too late to be able to pick up one of those extensions though. EE2 and History X for example have major works that you'd be far behind in.

Unfortunately, due to having only 10 Units, you have little leeway. Your only real course of action is to stick with Economics and to do your best to improve in it. Try looking for a tutor, or getting extra help from your teacher.

Good luck.
and Extension 2 Maths.

K

Kozak92

I've heard some people pick up retail because they fail their TAFE Category B courses? Any truth to this?

Matt2233

HSC
My bad for not remembering!

Yes, 4U Maths. :guitar:

(Rocker gif, for what I see as a very hardcore subject). :D

Don't listen to all the people saying you HAVE to do prelim to do a subject in year 12. There wrong.

However, in saying that it would be quite difficult to change as your subject coordinator will see that if you changed, geo would be in your top 10 units, and if you messed up it would screw you up majorly. They'd say no as they would believe its the best thing they can do for you.

Your best bet would be to not drop eco, put pick up geo and go to 12 units. You would still have a hard time convincing your school, but you'd be more likely to be able to change doing this then just outright dropping eco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)