• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 8-11 Selective Result Discussion (2 Viewers)

stnd08

HSC
Your report will matter so like just make sure its relatively good. Its really one of your only forms of "academic proof" if you think about it. for the school in that sense. your test sorta helps, but the test is so volatile anyone can score anything, they will merge it with your reports to get an overall look at your academics.

Reports also matter based on the school you are transferring from. For example, if I attended ruse looking to transfer to nsb and my scores were low to mid at ruse. Its most likely taken very leniently because ruse is intrinsically a harder school to attend. This usually applies in reverse. If your looking to transfer out of any school in general. You'd look to aim for higher results or realistically mid to high results at that school to prove you are viable. Because they need to make sure you can keep up with the level.

But with regards to your reports. I know its very annoying that you have to submit 3 reports. I wish I could've just submitted my best report as well. but oh well. everyone has the same issues. I think what helps for you and what also helped for me (even though my reports weren't bad) is that -> my 2023 half-yearly report was better than my 2022 half and yearly reports.

So in your case. If you make a huge jump in your 2024 half yearly compared to your 2023 yearly. The school is not going to undervalue your results from your 2024 report. Don't worry. In fact it might make your 2023 report negligible. You just need to make sure that the jump is from 2023 to 2024 and not the other way. Or else they may view it as you are "dropping off" in academics or "losing interest".

But all together both reports ideally take equal weighting in their final decision. But in your case I wouldn't worry.

btw anyone else reading this. don't worry if your reports are the other way. its just a general marker that makes sense for reports. but just make sure if there was a drop it wasn't SIGNIFICANT. like I'm taking all A's and B's (one year) to no A's and B's and C's (the next year). that would be considered quite a big drop down from the capabilities that you showed.
that's so sigma of you

stnd08

HSC
The official edutest tests were extremely useless. Cause they are really easy in comparison to what is given in the test. Its also extremely misleading. You can lose like 2 marks in the edutests practice tests, and this is not a good indicator by any means to what will happen in the real test. This is generally a very honest opinion as someone who sat the tests last year and made all the top 3 schools: baulko, nsb, ruse (which all do edutest). SAVE YOUR MONEY.

So what I would recommend for anyone sitting edutest:
The test is heavily a game of speed and not knowledge and skill. The "skill" is being able to identify the pattern, formula, or whatever related to the question and quickly answering it. Nothing should make you sit there and just ponder for 1 min, the questions aren't designed for that. If you find yourself pondering, just skip and come back.

An important thing I learnt, although it sounds inherently trivial, is that EVERY QUESTION IS WORTH THE SAME. No matter how hard they are they are worth the EXACT same. One Mark. So if you skip a question sure you may drop that "one mark" but in return you gain 5 marks of easier questions later on because you skipped it and sacrificed that mark. I hope that's clear enough. So don't feel bad or worried cause you skipped a question.

If you want a general marker of what to expect. The numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning last year was pretty cooked. in the sense that speed was not in your favour. but I vividly recall being totally unsure about the last 10 questions because of time. I was like many others and didn't realise how important speed was. the questions weren't inherently "hard" I just pondered too long on different questions and didn't understand that "one mark" concept. And then albeit those 10, we can safely assume I may have dropped AT LEAST 5 in the rest of the paper just from general mistakes.

while this was a year ago, that's legit a 45/60 (maybe on the lower end and a bit lenient), that still got me a superior (highest band). The tests are pretty cooked regardless of how good you may be. I think if I approached it different I would've scored much better, but that's in the past and it's calm. BUT DONT BE LIKE ME

Anyways, yuh the notesedu has some pretty good resources, victorian selective school tests, there is a TSS vocabulary sheet for anyone looking to improve vocab and that stuff. Generally just search in google "Selective school Victoria Questions" or "Edutest Practice". Legit do HAST practice or ACER test practice it doesn't matter. The questions may vary but the concepts are the same.

And then for those worrying about the test. don't.

It's really not that big of a decision factor. The test is more of a "barrier of entry". It just "separates" the applicants to make applications easier to review. I mean a school reviewing 500 applications is tedious. But the test can basically categorise the top "some number" and then "prioritise" those applications. This number is still pretty big. BUT DON'T BE DECEIVED. You still have to perform well. But don't think there are "10 spots", I must come top 10 or something. No, it's legit just a precursor to your application. It allows the school to dwindle down the number of applications they have to look at. So just perform relatively good and let your application speak for itself.

Obviously on the other end of the spectrum, you can look to perform EXCEPTIONAL in the test and stand as an outlier to the school. but if you can do that, props to you, I have nothing to say. have fun at ruse cuh.

aight that's enough yapping. good luck guys
that's not very sigma

Razerlx

HSC
i just finished hast test 10 mins ago lmao any thoughts on how y guys did? reading comp and maths and science killed me. hope my writing and abstract reasoning save me
There was science? I thought it was AR, MR, Writing and RC

yuqiismyidol

HSC
I got a question- im trying out for the selective school for entry into year 11 and was wondering what is the difference between the HAST, EDUTEST and the selective test? They seem similar but how are the question styles different?
what school ru trying for

?!?!

HSC
nsg, sghs, maybe either fort or girra idk
feel like nsg ad sghs might be too hard to get into too.. is it?

?!?!

HSC
lol i see
what does an ideal application look like that will get you into nsg or sghs like do u have an idea? like how do the grades look like? number of extra curricular? should we add recommendations letter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)