You Aye Eye. estimate meh!! (2 Viewers)

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
You go to Plumpton High School (from you public profile). Why dun you write that on your post lol anyway...

Your school was ranked... 580th in NSW last year. while 673 were ranked... so yea news is not good.

You had 118 Year 12 students last year. Thats not a small cohort at all. I think its just the students. They are not performing at all. 7 credits from 118 Year 12 students. Unless you can take 4 of that 7 credits, you have no chance of 94.85. So its time to look for a different course ;)
Explain this credits thing to me please. :).

I want to do a B Engineering/ B Commerce at USYD or UNSW, if that information helps.

runnable

HSC
A credit means a mark above 90 in a subject. Say if a person gets 91 for Physics, thats registered as a credit.

Seeing from your last year's results you have provided, Top 3 got the 94+? So perhaps you are not quite near Top 3 in your school. But purely speculating at your current marks, I would say UAI in the low to mid 80s.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Okay, thanks runnable... But lets say i achieve 4 credits.
and my other subjects are within the band 5 region, BUT i dont come 1st in all my subjects.

Will i get the uai i wish to achieve?

runnable

HSC
Its amazing if you dun come first if you manage to get a credit. If you want 4 credits, it will be extremely surprising if you dun come first in at least 3 of them at your school. That said, there was only SEVEN credits in total from your school last year. I doubt someone managed to cope 4 of those 7. But they might've.

And as i said before, if you manage 4 credits and 1 low band 5. You are probably in the 94 range with your subjects.

But still my best advice is worker much harder. Coming first in pretty much everything is almost essential at your school. In the meantime, prepare for a second Uni course option.

undalay

HSC
If u get 4 credits ( and 1 decent band 5) , u'll be in the 97-98 range.
Its not ez

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
runnable said:
A credit means a mark above 90 in a subject. Say if a person gets 91 for Physics, thats registered as a credit.
no it isnt. credit is a term that they use in univeristy to signify a mark above 65% (may vary from univeristy). i think what you mean is a band 6?

runnable

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
no it isnt. credit is a term that they use in univeristy to signify a mark above 65% (may vary from univeristy). i think what you mean is a band 6?

A CREDIT in the HSC means 90+. We are not talking about UNI here.

runnable

HSC
undalay said:
If u get 4 credits ( and 1 decent band 5) , u'll be in the 97-98 range.
Its not ez

And that still depends on the subjects and how high is the Band 6. ie, 90, 90, 90, 90, 80 (eng) will get you around UAI 93 (as i said before) and that changes with the subjects, but not by too much.

Overall, its not easy to get 4 band 6s in one person, especially for a school ranked 580...

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
What does our school rank have to do with anything? just because our school is raned 580th, it doesnt mean the students in our school are dumb. This girl in my class will get more than 97, even 98, with no problem, and thats beating most schools. I dont know if i understood what you've said wrong, but i understood that because ourschool has acrap ranking, its mean we're going to do crap too... >_>

If einstien was at our school, does it mean he will do bad because he is atOUR school?

Oh, and, the dude who got 98.25 lastyear, got a band 6 in...

Ext 1 math
Ext 2 Math
Physics
English and he got a band 5in chemistry...

Its the persn, not the school?

(and my space bar doesnt seem to be working properly.)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
syriangabsta said:
What does our school rank have to do with anything? just because our school is raned 580th, it doesnt mean the students in our school are dumb. This girl in my class will get more than 97, even 98, with no problem, and thats beating most schools. I dont know if i understood what you've said wrong, but i understood that because ourschool has acrap ranking, its mean we're going to do crap too... >_>

If einstien was at our school, does it mean he will do bad because he is atOUR school?

Ext 1 math
Ext 2 Math
Physics

Your school does not unless you get the top ranks in your subjects. If you don't come 1st, you will be potentially affected by those who are ranked higher than you.

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:

Ext 1 math
Ext 2 Math
Physics

Your school rank reflects your cohort's ability. Einstien will not do bad cuz he will come first in everything (maybe except English but never mind that). If you cannot come first, then forget about it. Cuz you are showing that you are not even the best in a weak cohort. If you are the best, then it all comes down to how you do in your externals, which set the standard of how good your school really is. For example.

Guy from James Ruse went to your school (i dunno why)...

He was 49/50 in all his subjects in Ruse and if he continued there, he would get 97.20 UAI.

He goes to your school. He came first in everything he does at your school. He goes into the HSC, as good as he was in Ruse. He will still get 97.20 UAI.

The dude who got the 4 credits last year. He must've come first in those subjects did he not? Thats already 4 credits, and your school had a total of SEVEN last year. Ok? So 3 more band sixes were shared among 179 students. So if you cant prove yourself to be first in your school, or at least ABSOLUTE second, then forget about 94.85. And note, its absolute SECOND IN YOUR YEAR. Not in your subjects.

Detailed post :D

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:
This girl in my class will get more than 97, even 98, with no problem, and thats beating most schools.

Excuse me? You have one person getting 97/98. I assume that is first in your year. Other schools, ie schools ranked >580. Will have MORE people with that UAI and higher. Its the percentage of the cohort getting that UAI that reflects the true ability and rank of your school... not the top mark. A person may well get 100 UAI at your school and the rest gets 50. Will your school be ranked first or top 10? Think about it ;)

senjew

HSC
i would say that depending on how the rest of your grade is, youre heading towards something around the 80s or a little lower

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Absolute second shouldnt be difficult.
What if, i come second in all my subjects, and i am only 1 to 3 marks off 1st position. That is almost 1st. Does BOS take that into account?

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:
Absolute second shouldnt be difficult.
What if, i come second in all my subjects, and i am only 1 to 3 marks off 1st position. That is almost 1st. Does BOS take that into account?
Lol thats what i warned you in my last post, second in YOUR subjects do not count as the second i was referring to. For example

You: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd

Guy B: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd.

Guy C: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st (1st in everything by a far shot, is most probably the first in your school)

Who is better? You or Guy B? Surely you cannot claim that you are the absolute second....

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
Lol thats what i warned you in my last post, second in YOUR subjects do not count as the second i was referring to. For example

You: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd

Guy B: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd.

Guy C: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st (1st in everything by a far shot, is most probably the first in your school)

Who is better? You or Guy B? Surely you cannot claim that you are the absolute second....
yeah, but doesnt it depend on the subjects? I am taking the science/math subjects, so, if someone were to get 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, ...in subjects like business, IPT, IT, PDHPE, eco's etc etc etc etc.... and this person was to come 1st in thier subjects

and i were to get 82, 83, 84, 85, 86... doing maths ext1 + 3 sciences and i were to be 2nd in these subjctes

Who would be absolute second?

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:
yeah, but doesnt it depend on the subjects? I am taking the science/math subjects, so, if someone were to get 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, ...in subjects like business, IPT, IT, PDHPE, eco's etc etc etc etc.... and this person was to come 1st in thier subjects

and i were to get 82, 83, 84, 85, 86... doing maths ext1 + 3 sciences and i were to be 2nd in these subjctes

Who would be absolute second?
In the scenario you just descibed, you will get 2nd. But note that for those perceived low scaling subjects, its also easier to get high marks. So those marks you provided are not quite right.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
well, we dont have many talented people in our school that will recieve those marks i dont think..i could be wrong, but as i stated earlier, i should be able to become ABSOLUTE second, and get high band 5's and band 6's in the externals. Yeah, can i have your msn ? rofl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)