• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

You *know* you're a chemistry nerd when... (1 Viewer)

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Err..you didn't need The Acidic Environment to know that. It's common sense that when you shake a bottle of coke and open it, it will fizz more than usual. :)
I don't mean shaking it. Shaking it will make it go flat faster. :rolleyes:
As will opening it when it's warm.
It's called solubility of CO2

:D Hey Dreamerish

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Hmmm ... I've always wanted to use a hydrolic press to make acid pellets and slip 'em into someone's [insert fizzy drink]. Though I fear people may get the wrong impression and I'll end up in a cell!

You know you are a chem nerd when the morning/afternoon after a cocktail party you find scrawled all over balloons the structural formulae for all the multidentate ligands in your inorganic chemistry course!

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
EDTA, ethylenediamine, 1,10-phenanthroline, DEDTC, acetylacetanato, oxalato, dimethylglyoxime and glycinato. I think... it was last session so it is a tad distant now!

taxman

make poverty
HSC
When you don't have a teacher and you and your only classmate (Pace_T) steal chemicals from the prep room and try to come up with a way of efficently isolating Potassium via the process of electrolysis. Or you decide to make your own polymer, write a complete experimental process...run controls and write up a conclusion on where you went wrong.

When you get chapped lips, are stressed out studying for English, look at the back of the zinc bottle, discover the presence of ethanol and then begin to calculate the percentage mass of ethanol in zinc cream. (About 0.02% from memory.)

P.S. I've done about four of the aforementioned chemistry nerd things. Ahhh....I love Chemistry *hugs his summary notes*

Pace_T

HSC
taxman said:
When you don't have a teacher and you and your only classmate (Pace_T) steal chemicals from the prep room and try to come up with a way of efficently isolating Potassium via the process of electrolysis. Or you decide to make your own polymer, write a complete experimental process...run controls and write up a conclusion on where you went wrong.

HCl + Action Man™ + Fe -->
LOL!

*Buttercup*

HSC
You know you're a chem nerd when...

you notice that you can make words out of the symbols on the periodic table... then you and 3 of your friends realise that you can all spell your names using the letters... so u form a club ... complete with name badges and the names written with upper and lower case letters like on the PT... then your club ("science club") comes up with a slogan ("THINK OUTSIDE THE TEST TUBE"!!!)... and you get your Science club names put on the back of your year 12 jersey.

Oh and you keep mini periodic tables in your wallet hehe :)

rama_v

HSC
- When you suddenly become interested in all those debates on abc and bbc about the environment
- imemdiately think of pungent chemicals (formulas and all) whenever theres a bad smell
- understand what PVC is and stress it to all your non-chemistry friends
- you think chemistry is easy
- you understand the stuff that lisa simpson or professor frink says

Isabelg

HSC
Yeh thats very true. You also know you're a chemistry nerd when you start singing the structural formula for citric acid (2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid). And also when you start pronouncing words like imagination as imaginat-ION... ah lifes a bitch

rama_v

HSC
Isabelg said:
Yeh thats very true. You also know you're a chemistry nerd when you start singing the structural formula for citric acid (2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid). And also when you start pronouncing words like imagination as imaginat-ION... ah lifes a bitch
or when you receive emails like this:
-------
What did one atom tell another?
- I think I lost an electron
- Are you sure?
- Yes, I'm positive.

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says: "Do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg replies: "No,but I know where I am".

A neutron walks into a bar; he asks the bartender: " How much for a beer?" The bartender looks at him and says: "For you, it's no charge".

Why did the white bear dissolve in water?
- Because it was polar.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
*Buttercup* said:
Oh and you keep mini periodic tables in your wallet hehe :)
And you suddenly realise there is no point denying it after you have been giving away pocket PDs for the last three hours .. !

ecouch

HSC
i dont know about some of these chemistry nerd things ......... i mean if u went past a ship in newy harbour and strated thinking of the pollution it causes or how fuel destroys our environment, wouldn't that make you more of an Earth and Environmental Science nerd ..............

HSC
nah we touch on that during ethanol subsection, and CFC/ozone subsection ;D

Libbster

HSC
This is Me: when you're wrapping your sandwiches in gladwrap and start think about LDPE and how its created by opening the ethene monomer with an peroxide O-O bond :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
When your teacher asks "who here really loves chemistry?", and you're the only one with your hand up. :(

lum

HSC
when you enjoy videos of "hydrogen" and "oxygen" bonding in a threesome... (yes, that threesome), and when you do chemistry experiments at home during weekends with your bf/gf

ecouch

HSC
u know u r a chem nerd when .....

u spend the last twenty minutes of your chem exams to write a chem stip featuring the 2 chem teachers (Bateman) aka Batman and Charmaine (Chem Charmaine) and how they ride around in the chem-o-car ridding the world of unbalanced equations

........... i dropped the subject .................. but the chem nerd still burns strong :D

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
taxman said:
When someone types 'phh' in an msn conversation and your comeback is -log[H+]
More like;

"wtf ... phenol hydrogen ??!! .... I think you mean benzene buddy!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)