Your top 10 ultimate favourite books (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
harry potter series (i don't know, it just all just ties in and continuity and works so well)
picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde
the importance of being earnest by oscar wilde (wait. do plays count?)
lorr dor dor rings trilogy
pride and prejudice (sort of. i hate the story but i really love period fiction :cry: )
animal farm by george orwell
the strange case of dr jekyll and mr hyde by i don't know
discworld series by terry pratchett
the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by douglas adams
misery by stephen king

(edit: I only just noticed I used 0 capital letters, but I can't be FuCkEd to fix that.)
You lose me slightly with the King but otherwise I think I love you. I would have had Earnest as my no1 if I included poems, and probably would have squeezed An Ideal Husband in there somewhere too. But yeah, Harry Potter, Dorian Gray, Earnest, Price and Prejudice, Animal Farm, Hitchhikers guide are all amazing.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
1. Catch 22-Joseph Heller
2. The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde
3. Wuthering Heights-Emily Bronte
4. The Liar-Stephen Fry
5. Harry Potter no6.-JK Rowling
6. Animal Farm-George Orwell
7. Jane Eyre-Charlotte Bronte
8. The Once and Future King T.H. White
9.The Boy in the Dress-David Walliams
10. HP no.3-Rowling
cliche or shit

expected more of you

theycallmebob

HSC
My books are mainly based on how interesting the plot was rather than whether it was actually a *good* book.
Don't Call Me Ishmael Series - Michael G.B
Shug - Jenny Han
Henderson Boys - ?
CHERUB - ?
Alpha Force - Chris Ryan
Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini
anything by Agatha Christie
...And others, that I've forgotten...

I wanna read the Hunger Games too! But not with the amount of assessments that I have :(
worst books I have ever read.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You lose me slightly with the King but otherwise I think I love you. I would have had Earnest as my no1 if I included poems, and probably would have squeezed An Ideal Husband in there somewhere too. But yeah, Harry Potter, Dorian Gray, Earnest, Price and Prejudice, Animal Farm, Hitchhikers guide are all amazing.
I dont see whats wrong with stephen king

The green mile is one of the most beautiful and powerful books i've ever read

Lentern

HSC
They're plays you spastic.
I originally included the Ballad of Reading Gaol, decided that I didn't like it so much and when I clipped "poems and plays" I absent minded clipped the wrong one. Gosh.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you not like Misery?

I mean, I couldn't get past page 200 and something of The Shining (THEY ONLY JUST GOT TO THE HOUSE AND NOTHING HAD HAPPENED FOR A GOOD 80 PAGES. NOTHING.), but I think Misery would be good. (Haven't read it)

Lentern

HSC
How do you not like Misery?

I mean, I couldn't get past page 200 and something of The Shining (THEY ONLY JUST GOT TO THE HOUSE AND NOTHING HAD HAPPENED FOR A GOOD 80 PAGES. NOTHING.), but I think Misery would be good. (Haven't read it)
I haven't read it, I've read the Shining, The Green Mile and It. Misery might turn out to be amazing but frankly I've read three books from the same author which is more than I've read of Rafael Sabatini, Stephen Fry, Charlotte Bronte or Nicky Hornby, all of whom I found excellent so on balance I'm in no hurry to read a fourth one any time soon. I should state from the outset I'm not a big fantasy reader, Harry Potter was something special obviously but otherwise I haven't generally taken to it. You'll notice I didn't have any Tolkien, Martin, Gaiman etc on my list.

As for King specifically I appreciate the value in providing a canvas but frankly he overdoes it. Wading through the thicket of his labored settings and character backgrounds is so demanding that reading him becomes a chore. If you're going to do that you need more wit, more incisive flare like Wilde does, flourishing language and vivid imagery in itself cannot sustain an absence of plot movement.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't read it, I've read the Shining, The Green Mile and It. Misery might turn out to be amazing but frankly I've read three books from the same author which is more than I've read of Rafael Sabatini, Stephen Fry, Charlotte Bronte or Nicky Hornby, all of whom I found excellent so on balance I'm in no hurry to read a fourth one any time soon. I should state from the outset I'm not a big fantasy reader, Harry Potter was something special obviously but otherwise I haven't generally taken to it. You'll notice I didn't have any Tolkien, Martin, Gaiman etc on my list.

As for King specifically I appreciate the value in providing a canvas but frankly he overdoes it. Wading through the thicket of his labored settings and character backgrounds is so demanding that reading him becomes a chore.
If you're going to do that you need more wit, more incisive flare like Wilde does, flourishing language and vivid imagery in itself cannot sustain an absence of plot movement.
No one understood me when I said this at school. :')

But, I didn't enjoy Harry Potter... Awkies.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I'm in the minority when I say I liked the first 3 more

Hated angsty potter in 5 and 6

Lentern

HSC
No one understood me when I said this at school. :')

But, I didn't enjoy Harry Potter... Awkies.
What are you like with fantasy generally? A reluctance to suspend your disbelief, as indeed I myself have, can make it a real challenge to enjoy fantasy. I didn't come easily to Harry Potter initially.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in the minority when I say I liked the first 3 more

Hated angsty potter in 5 and 6
I only read parts of 1-5. Then gave up.

I read like the first ~150 pages of 1, 2 and 5 and ~50 pages of 3 and 4.

So boring.

What are you like with fantasy generally? A reluctance to suspend your disbelief, as indeed I myself have, can make it a real challenge to enjoy fantasy. I didn't come easily to Harry Potter initially.
Nup. I've enjoyed a few fantasies in my day (deltora quest and Roald Dahl books were the gr8est), and I've read a few murder mystery-like things, but I just didn't enjoy the constant mapping of shit in Shining without any actual content, and I just found HP boring.

SanjoyM

HSC
"For one more day" - Mitch Albom
"The book thief" - Marcus Zusak
The boy with the stripped payjamas
"The Simple Gift" - Steven Herrick
"Frankenstein" - Mary Shelley (don't know why, but I loved this novel!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)