Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

Jackson18

G'day,

Can someone please explain how YA works. My parents are over the threshold, but not to a degree where they can simply throw money at me.

Some people have talked about a 16000 figure as proving independence.

If i earn 16000 in a year what benefits do i get?
And if i earn this much but still live at home am i inelligible?

Cheers
Jackson

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
AFAIK YA is a subsidy for full-time students from low-income families... it's not how much you earn, but how much your parents earn... if your parents are in the highest tax bracket, then i dun think you get any YA... but check out the centrelink webbie.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so if people have a job with crap pay / that won't give them many hours / can't find a job, they don't get handouts?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The "living away from home" is simply a higher level of Youth Allowance. You still need to fulfil the YA eligibility requirements, but if you live outside the family home you are eligible for the higher rate (and sometimes also Rent Assistance) to help cover living costs.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
For the last time, it is ALL DEPENDENT ON CIRCUMSTANCE. There is no set one-size-fits-all threshold, you MUST ask them for information specific to your own situation!

As an example, let's say the threshold is $62000 pa. This does not hold to everyone. Why? Because some people have single parents. Others have self-employed parents. Yet others have parents who own a farm. There is no hard and fast rule, which is why you must consult Centrelink directly!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
are you sure about the difference thresholds?? because i went to apply to centrelink to youth allowance, the lady just asked how much my parents earned and she said no straight away!!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
my mum is a single mum with 4 kids earning $30,000 a year and i dont get youth allowance - no, wait, i am eligible for like $2 a week - the system is fucked, meanwhile, lazy assed bludgers who worked for a year and became "independant" can now sit at home and not work because they are deemed worthy of recievieng youth allowance, and they get more off the government than i could possibly earn in a week.
The moral to the story - defer, work, become independant, become a bum and get free government handouts. maybe if everyone does it they will realise there is something wrong with the system.

Ribbon

OK this is from the centrelink website:

Eligibility for youth allowence:

you have to be:

aged 16-24 and studying full time (or aged 15 if considered independent); or
aged 16-20 and looking for work full time (or aged 15 if considered independent), undertaking a combination of approved activities like Work for the Dole or volunteering, or have a temporary exemption from the Activity Test (for example, due to illness); or
aged 25 and over and studying full time, if you were getting Youth Allowance immediately before turning 25 and are still doing the same course. (Other full time students aged 25 and over can apply for Austudy); and
meet residence requirements.

On being 'independant':

If you apply for Youth Allowance, you will be assessed to see if you are considered independent or not. You only need to meet one of the critieria below to be considered independent.

If you are considered independent, parental income and a family actual means test will not be taken into account when working out how much you get paid. If you are considered dependent, a Parental Income Test and a Family Actual Means Test will be taken into account when working out how much you get paid.

You are considered independent if you are aged 16 or over and :

have been out of school at least 18 months and earned at least $15 990 in an 18 month period before lodging a claim (this amount is 75 per cent of the Commonwealth Training Wage); or
have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged); or
have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school; or
are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances).
You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and :

are above school leaving age in your state or territory; and
are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home; or
are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age;
have, or have had a dependent child;
are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances);
have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.
To qualify as independent on the grounds that you have been in a de facto or marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months, the 12 months must have been while you were over the age of consent in the state or territory you live in

BTW: studying full time is considered an 'approved activity'

if you are not independant:

If parent/s get an income support payment, the parental income and assets tests do not apply, although the Family Actual Means Test may apply.
If parent/s have a low-income Health Care Card, the Parental Income test does not apply, but the Parental Assets and the Family Actual Means Test does apply.
Income Test
If your parent's taxable income for the 2002 - 2003 financial year is $28 150 or less (plus additional amounts for each dependent child other than yourself), your payment will not be affected by the income test.

If your parent/s have other dependent children, their taxable income can increase by the following amounts before it affects your payment:

$1230 for the first other dependent child aged under 16;
$2562 for each additional dependent child aged under 16;
$3792 for each dependent child:
aged between 16-24 in full-time study; or
aged between 16-20 and seeking employment; or
who receives a boarding allowance or second home allowance under the Assistance for Isolated Children scheme;
$7585 for a tertiary student getting living away from home rate of Youth Allowance where there are two such children in the family.
The rate of payment payable is reduced by $1 for every $4 of income over these amounts.

After applying parental income test, a personal income test is applied.

In some circumstances (where parental income decreases/increases substantially) parent/s income in the current tax year is used.

Info on Family actual means test

This means test is effective from 1 January 2004. The Family Actual Means (i.e. family spending and savings) applies if you get ABSTUDY Payment or Youth Allowance, are not independent and where one or both of your parents in the previous financial year:

had an interest in a trust, private company or unlisted public company;
was self employed (except as a sole trader engaged wholly or mainly in primary production *note from me: this pretty much means a farmer*) or a partner in a partnership;
earned in excess of A$2500 (including tax exempt income) from a source in Norfolk Island or overseas;
was a wage of salary earner who claimed or will claim a tax deduction for a business loss (whether current or carried forward) that does not consist only of a passive investment loss in your partnership income tax returns;
had an interest in assets held overseas in excess of A$2500 or is a migrant who first entered Australia under a business skills category (business migrant) after 31 December 1987.
In certain circumstances family actual means in the current tax year may be used.

RATES OF PAYMENT

Rent Assistance

Rent Assistance rates if you have no dependent children
Situation Maximum payment per fortnight No payment if your fortnightly rent is less than Maximum payment if your fortnightly rent is more than
Single, no dependent children $94.40 $83.80 $209.67
Single, sharer, no dependent children $62.93 $83.80 $167.71
Couple, no dependent children $89.20 $136.60 $255.53
One of a couple who are separated due to illness, no dependent children* $94.40 $83.80 $209.67
One of a couple who are temporarily separated, no dependent children $89.20 $83.80 $202.73

* Includes respite care and partner in gaol.

Youth Allowence Rates

At home rate: $174.30 or $209.70 if you are over 18
Away from home rate: $318.50 regardless

All the info about youth allowence is avaliable in a PDF from: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co035_0401/$file/co035_0401en.pdf

Last edited:

kouri

well w t f
HSC
btw. do we get a proper letter of enrolment from uni or something to prove that ... we are FULL TIME students at blah?

to prove to centrelink??

Ribbon

Ok sorry that rent assistance was a tbale, I didn't pay too much attention when I cut and pasted. The first value is the maximum payment you can get for RA, the next is the mimumum fortnighly amount you have to be paying for rent to be eligable for RA and the last is the amount you have to be paying (or paying more than) to recieve the maximum payment listed.

so oaying $200 p/w in share accomodation you are eligable for the maximum sare rate of RA of $62.93.

I think the whole idea of getting less for share is stuffed though, because I will be paying more rent (sharing, just 1 room) in Canberra ($125 p/w) than I pay for my flat here ($95 p/w and its decent too) but I will be getting $30 less rent assistance... I have no idea how they could think that was fair :p

Ribbon

kouri I think even a letter from the uni with your uni id and course name on it (or your UAC offer letter) would be enough if you wanted to apply for payments asap. My form about changing courses says proof of enrollment has to be provided as soon as you have it, ie, they will believe you for the few weeks or so it takes to get something official... They've just kindof taken my word for it that I am studying again this year...

vanity

HSC
the government gives me like $100 a week which is fine and dandy

i'm not sure why though :shy:

HSC
omfg vanity
GIVE it to someone else who actually needs it!!!

HSC
omfg vane!
GIVE it to someone else who actually needs it!!!

Ribbon

natstar... it takes a few weeks to get a claim through... especially at this time of the year, they have alot of people putting in for claims and so it takes a bit longer. I wouldn't 'rely' on recieving a payment (ie make sure your savings will last or your parents can lend you the money) for at least a month. They backdate you from the day they recieve all the your correctly filled out forms about your claim (ie not from the day you walk in and ask about YA). Not sure about rent assistance, they might give that to you sooner, but you still have to prove your identity and level of income before they will give you that...

BTW: you are right about your RA rate... I am not sure about the ratio for how much under you are and how much less you recieve (I don't know if its dollar for dollar or what) but on $180 p/f non share at the mo I get $80, so whatever you get will be close to the full rate. I am pretty sure on campus accomodation classifies as share accomodation... also be careful if electricity, food ect. is included (even if its only a few meals a week) in your colledge price it may classify as boarding (or boreding as we like to call it here)

Ribbon

If they underpay you, they do backdate you... if they stuff up and cut you off they backpay you, same diff. Even if you stuff up (like forget to report your earnings like I do) and they cut you off because of it, they still backpay you... I know this from experience, with my payments and helping friends sort out thiers... I know a friend on single parenting allowence who got backpaid 1000+ because they stuffed up her payments, and I have been backpayed a few times as well. I can't think of any situation where centrelink hasn't backpaid someone over a mistake that left someone short?

I even got backpaid RA for the 2 or 3 weeks it took for them to process my claim...

oh and if you do not relise centrelink has underpaid you, you a/ wont get backpaid because they won't relise either until you tell them and b/ you probably don't need to get backpaid anyway, because anyone who needs the money will notice its missing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)