Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

vanity

HSC
hey man, i do need it.

no it isnt rent assistance, it is youth allowance.

and yes they do pay you if they miss out on a payment.. but i notcied it was $5 less than the usual payment.

Ribbon

melbournian: strange that our experiences would be so different... maybe its just a difference in policies in the different states... although social security is federal (I think) maybe backpaying is a discretional kindof thing and ppl in my local office are more warm and fuzzy than ppl at yours?

Who would ever know with centrelink :rolleyes:

Ashleet

HSC
I HATE CENTERLINK!!!! Went in there today, was in like for almost 2 hours and the line didnt move at all, so left and went to the bank to set up another account. Went back to centerlink and got in a line on the other side of the building and was in and out in 10 mins. Stupid government

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i'm sure it's probably in the thread somewhere, but i couldn't find it - can you get both YA and rent assistance? i'll be in natstar's situation next year - i'm working this year, so will have earnt the $16K and will try to get YA 18 months from the date i finished school.... i'll also be moving away from home to live at college (catered) - so will i get Rent Assistance too?? (college is approx. $200 a week)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
huh? so you can only get YA 18months after you finish school?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
can u move out, and still be dependant on ur parents and still get allowance?

Do they check ur parents and thats it or what? how low do they need to be to get Johnny Howard to gimmi some $?

Ac

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by natstar
U need to be outa school for at least 18 months and have earned $15, 999 to be classifyed independent. I coulent get YA last year cuz my parents earn over the threashold. If ur parnets eanr over the threashold, u gotta eanr the 15,999 in at least 18 months after leaving school, to be seen as no longer dependent from ur parents, so they income is not tested.
oh ok, so you can get it within the 18 months as long as your dependant on your parents?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
oh ok, so you can get it within the 18 months as long as your dependant on your parents?
You parents income has to be below the income threshold though:).

Ribbon

Yes you can still get YA if you are dependant on your parents, but only if they earn under a certain amount (which if they can afford to support you while your at uni I doubt they are under it)...

seriously guys, this is getting frustrating. In my post (on page1 I think) there is a link to a pdf (doesn't take that long to d/l on dialup) that has EVERYTHING you need to know on it, how much you will get, how to be classed as independant, how much your parents can earn if you are not... e v e r y t h i n g...

once you have read the pdf, if you still have questions *then* clarify on the forum... or better yet, ring centrelink and clarify it with them...

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
dude, get the pole out your bum, if you dont want to answer questions then dont look at the thread

kk03212004

im just curious, is it true that only HECS students get some form of financial assistance from gov? watbout FEE (local aussie citizens) students?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
IMO if you can afford to be a fee payer, then you can afford to support yourself (or mummy and daddy can afford to support you)

Ribbon

hipsta jess: I have no problems answering questions it just seems as though everyone is asking the same questions before looking in the most obvious place for the answer (the centrelink brouchure)

and when I say better yet, ring centrelink I meant because although the people on this forum will try to help you out as much as they can, we can only speak from our own experience (and therefore only give you a guide). If you need any definite answers you need to talk to centrelink about it...

so just calm down... I am only trying to help people help themselves :rolleyes:

oh... and I agree 100% on your comments about feepayers... anyone who can afford that much money, upfront, for thier degree (even if they can only afford the get the loan for it) doesn't need YA...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)