• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr 11 Electives Advice please.... (1 Viewer)

jh123

HSC
Wow! Thank you everyone for all the interest in the thread.....i have learnt a lot!:)

Just like SImon05089 said, i also would like to know which subjects are often 'capped' and scale down, as it seems that even if you do the best in those capped subjects, you still wont be eligible to get a 99.95 :(. Its like knowing bfore you begin the hsc that you will not be able to achieve that result, even if you do the best.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'll tell you guys what to look for in a 'capped' subject so you may pass this knowledge to your peers =P

Look at the table A3, then go to the column marked "Max Mark."

You will see that the Max Mark for Aboriginal Studies is 49, but is scaled down to 42.4. This subject is capped.

In essence, if a max scaled mark for a subject is not 50 - the subject is capped.

The complete list of capped subjects, derived from 2009 A3 is:

Aboriginal Studies
Agriculture
Ancient History
Business Studies
CAFS
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama
Earth and Environmental Science
Engineering Studies
English (Standard)
Food Technology
Industrial Technology
Information Processes and Technology
General Mathematics
History Extension
Music 1
PD/H/PE
Senior Science
Society and Culture
Software Design and Development
Studies of Religion 1
Textiles and Design
Visual Arts

However Biology and ESL were not capped last year - so the list above is of those capped this year and last year

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And no, even if you do capped subjects you can still get 99.95 - if it is not counted, or if you do super well in other subjects. Remember, just because a subject is capped does not mean you can't get 99.95 - it just means it makes it harder because there is a maximum limit - maybe 43 or 48.5 out of 50 which cannot be exceeded.

It is possible, but it's very difficult.

Economics > Business. Yes.

SImon05089

HSC
Okay, Thank you so much Shadowdude!!

So, if im not wrong, and i understand...(i hope i do!)...when we are doing the HSC, we do not know if the subject is capped or not?

But anyways, thank you so much, Good luck with your HSC next year!! And everyone too, good luck with your studies!! ;)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The list I posted is a good indication of which subjects are capped - but it does depend from year to year, but you'll find the vast majority of the listed are always capped.

So yeah, happy to help - that's what we're here for!

SImon05089

HSC
oh man...I don't feel like doing Business Studies anymore...dammit, but as you said, it is still possible to get a high ATAR when doing capped subjects. I hope Extension 2 Maths and Chemistry would boost me up =) And I really need to work on my English!

Thank you again =) :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actually, after analysing this year's Cohort - Business Studies actually was present in even the 99+'s. Which was quite interesting because I thought it was always a low scaler.

Have fun with your Maths and blowing stuff up!

jh123

HSC
Did anyone doing some/most of my subjects (especially Software Design) get a 99+ ATAR this year?

SImon05089

HSC
Actually, after analysing this year's Cohort - Business Studies actually was present in even the 99+'s. Which was quite interesting because I thought it was always a low scaler.

Have fun with your Maths and blowing stuff up!
Are you serious? In chemistry, are we actually going to blow stuff up? That would be so awesome!! I would most probably continue doing Business Studies, I don't know, time would tell me! My decision might change, cus there is still 1 year to decide! I'm just scared that, since most people are doing Physics and Chemistry, they would probably achieve a better mark than I do. I guess I have to try harder in Business!! Really hope i do, I don't want to slack off and be lazy!

Good luck with your HSC next year! =) ;)

lychnobity

HSC
Are you serious? In chemistry, are we actually going to blow stuff up? That would be so awesome!! I would most probably continue doing Business Studies, I don't know, time would tell me! My decision might change, cus there is still 1 year to decide! I'm just scared that, since most people are doing Physics and Chemistry, they would probably achieve a better mark than I do. I guess I have to try harder in Business!! Really hope i do, I don't want to slack off and be lazy!

Good luck with your HSC next year! =) ;)
No... and you don't learn how. Closest thing you learn is what explosives are made of.

CecilyMare

HSC
I remember Yr 7 Science Enrichment was the shit. We got to make goo and make various colored flames. Although that carried on into Yr 9 and was part of a halfyearly/yearly exam and I got the question wrong and it wasn't so fun anymore.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
We get to blow some stuff up at my school...

To the OP:

English (Adv), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Legal Studies and Software Design & Dev.

Out of the 20 99+'s I know of for this year - 17 did English Advanced, 3 did Mathematics (the other 17 did MX1 or higher), 14 did Chemistry and Physics, 2 did Legal Studies and none did SDD.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'll tell you guys what to look for in a 'capped' subject so you may pass this knowledge to your peers =P

Look at the table A3, then go to the column marked "Max Mark."

You will see that the Max Mark for Aboriginal Studies is 49, but is scaled down to 42.4. This subject is capped.

In essence, if a max scaled mark for a subject is not 50 - the subject is capped.

The complete list of capped subjects, derived from 2009 A3 is:

Aboriginal Studies
Agriculture
Ancient History
Business Studies
CAFS
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama
Earth and Environmental Science
Engineering Studies
English (Standard)
Food Technology
Industrial Technology
Information Processes and Technology
General Mathematics
History Extension
Music 1
PD/H/PE
Senior Science
Society and Culture
Software Design and Development
Studies of Religion 1
Textiles and Design
Visual Arts

However Biology and ESL were not capped last year - so the list above is of those capped this year and last year
Are you sure you did that right? Just because the max mark isnt 50 doesnt mean its capped, they need to have got 50/50 and the scaled mark is not 50. Also isnt Legal studies known to be a capped, or atleast bad scaling subject?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Something like that - it's a complicated system... Legal Studies is of medium scaling.

My impression, and what I was told, was to look at A3 - and if the max scaled mark for a subject was not 50 - the subject was capped.

HSC
now im gunna sound retarded...whats it mean if a subject is 'capped'? lol

Amogh

HSC
N/A
From what i've perceived, the capped mark is the highest possible mark attainable in a subject.

lol, why do you care? HSC's OVER! :p

what i really don't get is how BOS handles internal assessment marks..
tests can be harder/easier
=S

HSC
i was just wondering cos i did 2 of those subjects and got a band 6 in both of them lol so i was interested haha. not complaining just curious lol.

mioumiou

HSC
Just do your best if you really interested in the subjects that you've chosen. Some people may not like maths but they still choose them just thinks that they will achieve great marks. Well, if you are talented enough, you can choose to do extension maths. But my suggestion is just try to achieve higfh marks in your subjects next year, that way, high marks are possible. =)

Hope it helps!

Name_Taken

HSC
Cus i really hope the subjects I'm doing for the HSC are not "capped" subjects!!

I heard the physics, is a really good scaling subject, i really want to choose it, cus of the "great" scaling, but i really hate physics - the electricity, forces, I really have no interest.

But anyways, sorry for the long post, I just want to ask, the subject Business Studies, is that a "capped" subject? Cus i want to continue doing Business though year 12, or maybe economics.
Honestly dude, you have answered your own question.

If you have no interest in a subject there is no reason why you should choose it. You'd be much better to choose business if you have a passion for it as you will be more likely to put in the hard yards which you need to do well in the HSC, regardless of what subjects you're doing.

Plenty of people do exceptionally well in the HSC with "poor" scaling subjects or subjects that appear within the "capped" list posted above.

In addition, just because other people pick physics and chemistry, doesn't at all justify why you should. If they have a passion for the subject then good on them, however if they just picked it "because it scales well" then they are misguided to say the least if they are looking to maximize their chances of success.

Your marks are a result of the effort you put in, not the subjects you choose.

Worry less about subjects and scaling, once you choose them, forget your decision and simply work on doing well in whatever it is that you end up doing.

Good luck in your studies :)

Schoey93

HSC
Hi there. I have chosen the subjects English (Adv), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Legal Studies and Software Design & Dev. for Yr 11 next year.

I have seen a lot of ppls subjects on the forum aiming for 99+ choosing maths Ext1/2, and other language extension subjects.

Would these subjects allow me to reach an ATAR score of 99+? Would they rank high enough?
Also do you think choosing Engineering Studies instead of Legal would be a good idea?

thnks
You do not need Mathematics Extension 1 or Extension 2 to score a rank of 99.95 (First place in the country, as ATAR will be nation-wide from 2010, except for Qld who are stuck in the past.)

You can achieve first place in the state with those subjects. It is highly possible that if you work smart and when it is smart to work hard, work hard will gain an ATAR of >99.

Engineering Studies is only a good idea if you're interested in engineering as a profession, which I'm not, except for maybe Biomedical Engineering. A lot of blokes are interested in Civil Engineering though.

You don't need 99.00. It just opens doors. Besides, if you first enter university at age 21 (mature-aged entry scheme) you ATAR will be irrelevant.

Legal Studies is a great subject. My girlfriend did it for the HSC and she loved it. It was one of her favourite 4 units, the other 2 being Food Technology. Consider dropping something a bit light-hearted into the mix. Physical sciences (Engineering, Chemistry, Physics) get quite dry without something to liven up your school hours, like Hospitality, IPT, a language (I do Continuers Italian). Food Tech is great too. Business Studies is fun. Drama more so.

The HSC doesn't have to be all about subjects relevant to your "career" (what a disgusting unnatural word, people are animals, we're not meant to have houses or careers). Lighten up a bit. Scaling won't shat on you. Not that much anyway.

I'm looking forward to my ATAR result coming out in 2011 and it being 97.50 or more and then Mrs Bard saying to me, "WHAT THE FUCK? 97.5 with HOSPITALITY counting? OH MY FUCKING GOD" (I have never heard her swear so to provoke such a response would be fucking hilarious. She's a bit of an unte our principal though.

The more likely scenario is:
Mrs Bard: So James, what was your ATAR? Your HSC results were very good. Five Band sixes and a Band five in Hospitality and PDHPE.
James: I don't feel comfortable telling you, but let's get it over with.
Mrs Bard: yes?
James: It was 94.70
Mrs Bard: Congratulations! But I told you so. No way you were getting over 95 with Hospitality and PDHPE
James: You bitch I still made the UWS M.B., B.S. cut off of 93 for GWS
Mrs Bard: You're better than UWS/ what about UNSW?
James: *Groans* I had UWS as my first preference! UNSW sucks. It takes an extra year
Mrs Bard: Well whatever/good on you. Go to a shit uni then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)