yr 11 subject selections (1 Viewer)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Fucked if i know, go download a couple of peoples notes or a test from www.boredofstudies.org to see what your in for or go see the pdhpe forum, and just have a read through

meeeee

HSC
Originally posted by tofu
lol i got 68% for PD 27/30 half year :( my teacher says im "under achieving in the subject" based on one stupid test
same!! but it was a physical test and ive only ever done that thing once in my whole life! on my test it says im developing.. i dont like that word.. its like im going through puberty

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hehe yeah I always liked how I was developing in 'synthesising movements' and 'participation in physical activity' -- prob cos I always sat on my arse and didn't participate much in prac PE lessons----but then no one did

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
my friends that do p.e (only one of them) says its interesting

but i dunno how well it scales... dont think it does too well but as long as u enjoy it...

kini mini

HSC
In year 10 I did:

English
Advanced maths
Science (advanced physics & chemistry course developed by school)
History
Geography
French
German

I chose my year 11 subjects very stupidly because I liked advanced science a lot and thought there was actually science in HSC science courses...

Year 11:

English & Extension
Maths & Extension
Physics
Chemistry
Economics (I thought this would be interesting, oh how wrong I was :p)
French

And in year 12:

English Advanced
Maths Extension 1 & 2
Physics
Chemistry
French & Extension

There's a sample progression for you. I'm doing commerce/law and I'm happy with my choice, but I had very little idea of what I wanted to do in year 10 when I was making my choices. As you can see I had a mix of humanities and "sciences" so I was keeping my options open :). Most people in uni still aren't sure what they want to do, so I think that you should try to choose subjects that will give you more choice.

On the topic of scaling - you should start by considering how good your results will be for a given subject given the amount of effort you will put in. Then you need to compare this to other subjects you could be doing, how interested you are in the subject, how useful it is...

I wouldn't recommend doing bio or PDHPE if you're thinking of medicine. Try to do some advanced chemistry, it'll give you a far better idea of what's required. If you really want to prepare for a science degree, do as much maths as you can handle!

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by meeeee
same!! but it was a physical test and ive only ever done that thing once in my whole life! on my test it says im developing.. i dont like that word.. its like im going through puberty

Lol developing.
I hate the way the use the word "Grooming" in the diary, it makes us sound all like animals.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol my school is so loose on school uniform and presentation...

i feel sorri for u ppl who get busted for having ur socks too high or too low or ur not wearing a school jumper etc... :p

sleepycat

Re: Re: yr 11 subject selections

Originally posted by Funky_Junky
I won't go near subjects that has got to do with buisness and all those stuff.:chainsaw:

Reason
BUISNESS IS BORING!!!!!!:D

:eek:
:(
:eek:
:p

- Funky
Business is FUN... awwww.... how could u say it... :argue: I took all 3 of them... but i think legal is the worst one of all three... HAHA.. so i dropped it...:D

meeeee

HSC
well then what is the best combination of subjects that can broaden your options to the fullest..?

btw this thread forum whatever was set up to find what subjects people wouldnt do = P oh wells.. still good info

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in yr 10 as well.......
Can u do any Board Developt couse you want? Meaning do all Board Developed courses give a UAI.
And do some subjects get lower marks than other????? UAI??
Or can u do whatever subjects u want to do and get a good UAI as long as u pass well.
I heard some Board Developed couses don't have UAI markings! Is this true? And if it is what subjects don't have UAI markings?

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
business fun????? HAHAHA i pretty much fall asleep in busines... IMO its the driest and most draining subject of all

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
btw this thread forum whatever was set up to find what subjects people wouldnt do = P oh wells.. still good info
dont worry me... ull see that no thread tends to stick to topic after a while... ull get used to it

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by chooky_girl26
I'm in yr 10 as well.......
Can u do any Board Developt couse you want? Meaning do all Board Developed courses give a UAI.
I can't remember whether they are courses developed by the BOS or not, but there are category A and Category B courses. Most courses are A, the courses in B are vocational like Hospitality etc. You can only count 2 units of B in your UAI I think, so you'll be ineligible if you don't have 8+ units of A.

And do some subjects get lower marks than other????? UAI??
Or can u do whatever subjects u want to do and get a good UAI as long as u pass well.
There are long discussions of scaling in the UAI/HSC marks forum that you can refer to :). Basically it's possible to get a good UAI doing just about anything, but far less likely.

meeeee

HSC
how did you ppls choose your subjects then..?

meeeee

HSC
id say but what if your not good at anything and you dont like anything either? = P

i would suppose you could just not go to year 11 but.. i dont wanna be a checkout chick

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I chose, what i wanted to do and what i thought i would enjoy. A "good" (good but not good in a way) thing when i was choosing was that i knew nothing to very little about scaling.
I really think you should forget about scaling just a bit when choosing. I would hate to be stuck in boring subjects that don't intrest me and the only reason i was doing them was becasue of the scaling.
If you have some idea/ideas of what you want to do at uni or the future, see if they reccomend and subjects that may help in the course. Eg. I think Law they want advanced english or higher, and the medical stuff they reccomend chem and physics....

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
id say but what if your not good at anything and you dont like anything either? = P
this was exactly my situation and i hate all my subject.. but shit happens! i just based my choices on the lines and eliminated what subjects i know i would hate to do and what id be shit at eg creative ones... and it narrowed down to what i have now.. bad choices on my behalf but when i think about it as much as i say i wish i could change my subjects.. i dont think i have anything i would change to cause i would hate that too

miz_fly

i heard chem and software r really hard subjects.....every1s failing this year at my skool but then again i go to a dumb **** skool in the western suburbs :(....i recommend eco...its a bit businessy...but not as boring

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
re: yr 11 subjects

I picked;
  1. Adv and Ext English
  2. Adv. & Ext Math
  3. Modern History
  4. Ancient History
  5. 2U Religion
    [/list=1]
    I'm do both Modern and Ancient History and even though people say its a lot of work (its not too bad, probibly the same as 2 of the sciences, just more quotes to remember) they interlink alot and it makes it alot easier to understand by doing both.

If u do like history 2U religion fits in really well cause that is all history based too.

and then u have the option for yr12 of doing an extension in it.

Advanced and Extension English i love too. The extension course is alot better then the normal one too - we get to do Pretty Woman, My Fair Lady and 10 Things I hate about - which are pretty good.

paki_diva

weather u go to a dumb school or a good one.....it doesn't really matter now...coz u r given an individual UAI...it's not based on your school's over all performance anymore...so...i don't think u should care about others failing or passing.....just concentrate on your own self and c how well u can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)