• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

zwan no more (1 Viewer)

sunken eyes

HSC
has anyone else heard of this? apparently corgan called it all quits. bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrr majorly. finally an interesting new band, even if it had some old faces, and now its gone.
anyone else heard more about it?

HSC
To be honest, they weren't any good anyways....

This is coming from a hardcore pumpkins fan...

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh no :(

i just liked billy corgan heaps, the "honestly" song made me very happy !

hmmm i wonder what ole billy's a gunna do now..

HSC
Originally posted by johnson
oh no :(

i just liked billy corgan heaps, the "honestly" song made me very happy !

hmmm i wonder what ole billy's a gunna do now..
apparently, go solo....

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think Billy should just quit while he's ahead.

Yeah, I'm not too distressed by this news...It was like a gradual stepdown-When the Pumpkins broke up it was disappointing, but then Zwan came along so it didn't seem so 'over'...but since Zwan weren't all that great, now it's just 'meh'.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i've only heard honestly but that was pretty good

sunken eyes

HSC
i gotta admit im pretty sick of people saying that their no pu,mpkins. course their not. i liked them cos they were something different. for a first album, MSTOTS was pretty good. it had some great sngs on it.
personally i thought they were a great band with some potnetial, who just had some pumpkins history.

HSC
Originally posted by sunken eyes
i gotta admit im pretty sick of people saying that their no pu,mpkins. course their not. i liked them cos they were something different. for a first album, MSTOTS was pretty good. it had some great sngs on it.
personally i thought they were a great band with some potnetial, who just had some pumpkins history.
I don't think they're "something different", in fact I thought they sounded exactly like the pumpkins, except not as good.

MSTOTS is just a happier version of Siamese Dream really...

HSC
Zwan is not that bad. i listen to zwan. the pumpkins had a few very shocking albums like Machina/the machine of god, and ava adore. i hated both of their albums.

geez i wonder what billy is gonna do now, hope he reform the pumpkins.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you see a few posts up, apparently he is going to go solo...

I think thats not a wise move. Although he'd be able to pull a good following thanks to his S.P days, I just can't see it being much good somehow. I hope he proves me wrong though, he is one of my fave songwriters...but I just don't know if it'd work out.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hm i think zwan sound nothing like pumpkins, zwan to me is more poppy and mainstream.

HSC
Originally posted by Suicide Warrior
Zwan is not that bad. i listen to zwan. the pumpkins had a few very shocking albums like Machina/the machine of god, and ava adore. i hated both of their albums.

geez i wonder what billy is gonna do now, hope he reform the pumpkins.
apart from the fact that Machina is really overproduced and ponderous in part, I'd say its a good album. As for Adore, I'd say thats their best album, the problem is most people knee-jerkedly dismiss it cos its not hard rock, which I say is a shame.

oh and jian, you're right that its more poppy and mainstream, but, they still sound alot like the pumpkins, what with corgans voice, jimmys distinct drumming as well as that familiar pumpkins guitar tone...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I didn't really get into zwan much. They weren't together long then were they?

HSC
ava adore is actually the down time of Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy is quitting the band because of drug problems, so everything on that album are just soft electronic pop stuff, i do like songs like Perfect and Ava Adore, but the rest of the album is just hard to sit through.
You see me complaining about Machina and Ava adore because i have both albums, Infact i have all Smashing Pumpkin albums/compilation/live.

HSC
Originally posted by Suicide Warrior
ava adore is actually the down time of Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy is quitting the band because of drug problems, so everything on that album are just soft electronic pop stuff, i do like songs like Perfect and Ava Adore, but the rest of the album is just hard to sit through.
You see me complaining about Machina and Ava adore because i have both albums, Infact i have all Smashing Pumpkin albums/compilation/live.
It might have been "down time" cos of the tragedy with their touring keyboardist and Jimmy, but sometimes tragedy can be great stimulus for great music... and in this case its true... at least for me, and many other pumpkin fans.

Adore (not Ava Adore btw), is sorta like the "Kid A" of the pumpkins albums, they lost a lot of fans cos they went in a different direction, but it rates as some their best work...

augie

Oh my. This really irks me.
Does anyone actually even listen to Adore before they dismiss it as mediocre pop, or techno, or pumpkins 'downtime' or whatever your problems are with it??

Its a wonderful album. The good Corgan song writing is still there its just presented differently. TAke that cool 40's BArbershop part in Behold! the Nightmare for example..its the best. the albums full of those quaint little Billy Corgan moments.
Listen to it properly!!

sunken eyes

HSC
zwan had billys voice and layered guitars but the sng writing and stuff was heaps different. they made very different music , they just used a couple of similar techniques, what with jimmy drumming and multiple guitars. or at least thats what i thought of them.

as for the solo career... well billy kicks ass, and has written solo stuff before, but solo careers always fade away. just look at zack de la rocha

HSC
Originally posted by augie
Oh my. This really irks me.
Does anyone actually even listen to Adore before they dismiss it as mediocre pop, or techno, or pumpkins 'downtime' or whatever your problems are with it??

Its a wonderful album. The good Corgan song writing is still there its just presented differently. TAke that cool 40's BArbershop part in Behold! the Nightmare for example..its the best. the albums full of those quaint little Billy Corgan moments.
Listen to it properly!!
Exactly.

The first time I listened to it, I dismissed it as well... but after paying attention, I realised it was one of their best albums... and now I think its their best... although Siamese Dream comes close...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)