The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_87

HSC
Led Zep - Just how many Utd games do you watch? I watch every single game they're on Foxtel, and Brown was playing very well whilst Rio was suffering from poor form earlier in the season. I'm sure you could make a compilation of errors for just about any player if you looked at their errors over 7 or so seasons!

Don't write Ronaldo off. I will be having $5 on him for the golden boot (although with Torres, etc playing agaisnt the Saudis, he could get it). Even with his poor form and injuries this year he still managed 13 league goals. Imagine him fit?

We have plenty of great options as far as youth goes. Rooney, Ronaldo, Pique, Rossi, Richardson and Bardsley have all played for the first team. Then you have players like D Jones, Fletcher (give him a year or two Fergie says) and the players from the youth/reserve teams who have plenty of potential. We will probably bring through (on average) 2 players every year to the first team squad. We just need some top CMs and we will be sorted for the next 5-10 years.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
johnny, ive seen every single united game this season and every season for the last 8-9 years...and i have never warmed to Brown, he just dissapoints me too much. I understand what you say bout the compilation that all players make mistakes, but Browns have cost us goals and points.

Ronaldo, whilst my fave player and biggest influence, i feel is past his best, we should have got him at least 2-3 years ago.

As for youth, Rooney is 20, rossi is 19 and richardson is in his 20s..that isnt really youth, i mean united signed giggs at 14! i just feel that we are not developing quality young players...eg..Darren fletcher-yes he is a workhorse but has no skill or scoring abilities, Richardson i feel is our best option, did u see the charlton game! he was excellent. Rossi will do good as will pique..but we are lacking attacking midielders and wingers in terms of youth development..

We do need 2 quality CMs and a ML and at least 2 defenders to replace an ageing G.Neville. Plus our keeper situation needs lookin at Van der sar is in his late 30s we need a top young keeper..Vincent Degre is possibly the best young keeper around..

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Led-Zep said:
Ronaldo, whilst my fave player and biggest influence, i feel is past his best, we should have got him at least 2-3 years ago.
You are so, so delusional if you think that Ronaldo would've gone anywhere 2-3 years ago. Besides, a Ronaldo that's 'past his best' still scored something like 14 league goals whilst barely working up a sweat. If Brazil win the world cup again this year as every expects, he's still my bet for the golden boot. Problem isn't that he's past his best. He's not. The real problem is he's achieved virtually everything already, so he just can't be fcuked anymore. If he did still harbour some ambition.. to win the Champion's League, United wouldn't be his preferred destination.

johnny_87 said:
Don't write Ronaldo off. I will be having $5 on him for the golden boot (although with Torres, etc playing agaisnt the Saudis, he could get it). Even with his poor form and injuries this year he still managed 13 league goals. Imagine him fit?
Are you willing to bet on Spain getting past the QF though? I wouldn't be surprised if Torres does a Mirsolav Klose and scores 4 or 5 in the group stages and manages nothing for the rest of the tournament due to better defences/elimination.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
Benny,i am not delusional, i did not say we COULD have got ronaldo, i said we "SHOULD" have got him 2-3 years ago while he was still scoring and "FIT". right now he is no where near being fit, and i recently saw him in Brazil v Swiss select side and he was unfit, yes he scored but it wasnt the ronaldo after the world cup. The only reason that he may win golden boot is cause ronaldinho and adriano will prob do most of the work for him, the old ronaldo wouldnt need that as he'd take it upon himself to gather the ball, dribble and score.

Spain, just may get through, although i doubt it, and Torres is still to inexperienced to make an impact, whilst he may score a few i dont think hes just there as a player yet.

My tip is Brazil for cup, and possibly Adriano, Ronaldo and or Henry for golden boot.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Brown, although again suffered injury which halted hiz run in the United line up, did very well while he played fo us thiz season, much better than Ferdinand imo. I think it waz the OT game against Chelsea where Brown saved us on multiple occasionz, and he would've got an England call up had he not been injured. We look very strong in the defensive department right now, no need to get any mo personnel there.

Goalkeeper wise we got Ben Foster whoz been impressive fo Watford in their promotion to the Premier League. RB we got Bardsley whom I think will be one great defender in the future.

johnny_87

HSC
LMF has pretty much said it for me there. We also have good youth players like Gibson and the like who are 18 or so. We can't expect 4-5 players to come through like the class of 92. 1 or 2 players coming through each year is plenty.

In 4 years, we could still have Rio, Heinze, Brown, Vidic and Evra (unproved thus far) plus youngsters like Bardsley and Pique for defence. Don't forget we have the young Brazilian Rincon coming to us when he gets a work permit at the age of 18?

From midfield we could have Ronaldo, Park, Richardson, our new CMs, Jones and possibly 1-2 younger players. We also have the 2 Brazilian twins coming to us when they turn 18, so who knows how they turn out?

Up front we could have Rooney, Rossi and maybe 2 new strikers. Over those 4 years we don't really need to make lots of buys, but the buys we do make need to be quality.

Benny - I was just using Torres as an example. Spain have the Saudis (who lost 8-0 in the last world cup to Germany), so who knows how many Torres or Villa might score? Germany have Costa Rica. The same can be said for Klose and Podolski. England have T & T. Owen? France have Togo. Henry? The main thing is that these teams progress to at least the 1/4 finals. I think that all of them can and probably will, but France may go out to the Czechs/Italy (winner of that group). Spain will probably go out to Brazil unless they finish 2nd to Ukraine. Germany and England could very well meet in the 2nd round

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Led-Zep said:
Benny,i am not delusional, i did not say we COULD have got ronaldo, i said we "SHOULD" have got him 2-3 years ago while he was still scoring and "FIT". right now he is no where near being fit, and i recently saw him in Brazil v Swiss select side and he was unfit, yes he scored but it wasnt the ronaldo after the world cup. The only reason that he may win golden boot is cause ronaldinho and adriano will prob do most of the work for him, the old ronaldo wouldnt need that as he'd take it upon himself to gather the ball, dribble and score.

Spain, just may get through, although i doubt it, and Torres is still to inexperienced to make an impact, whilst he may score a few i dont think hes just there as a player yet.

My tip is Brazil for cup, and possibly Adriano, Ronaldo and or Henry for golden boot.
Henry won't get the golden boot because he doesn't work anywhere near as well in the French team's mould as he does with Arsenal, because with the latter case the team tends strategised around getting the ball to him.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Chelsea agree a combined £16m fee for Jon Obi Mikel, with £12m going to Man Utd and £4m to Lynn Oslo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

---

damn that guy, anyway i think its good man yoo didnt get him anyway. I cant see him making a significant impact with that star studded midfield in Chelski now. Now Man Yoo can use that 12 mil to good use. But please stay away from Nigel Reo Coker :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Look.. if this guy wants to go to Chelsea so bad, it's obvious he's not worth it. Going to Chelsea where they already have Robben, Duff, Cole, SWP and very soon, Kalou means collecting a fat paycheck for doing nothing. I'm sure he's as aware of that as anyone, so I wouldn't worry. What's really scary about it is the fact that Chelsea so easily just steal other clubs' transfers. I'm AMAZED the FA haven't stepped in.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Just because they may never make it into the staring line-up does not mean they don't do anything. Don't be a dickhead - these players have worked hard to get where they are and I sincerely doubt that he (or any other player) is in it just for the money.

turtleface

HSC
WTF

I come to this thread hoping to profess my pride with the collingwood boys after tonights sterling effort against the lions and instead its soccer...

AFL>Soccer

so anyway...hows...whats his name?...david beckham and his manchester city guys going...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
turtleface said:
WTF

I come to this thread hoping to profess my pride with the collingwood boys after tonights sterling effort against the lions and instead its soccer...

AFL>Soccer

so anyway...hows...whats his name?...david beckham and his manchester city guys going...
:/

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Komit said:
Just because they may never make it into the staring line-up does not mean they don't do anything. Don't be a dickhead - these players have worked hard to get where they are and I sincerely doubt that he (or any other player) is in it just for the money.
A young player who wants to develop (and has any sense) wouldn't choose Chelsea over United, it's just that simple.

As for doubting whether any player is in it just for the money, you only have to look at exhibit A. Chelsea's own number 2 keeper Carlo Cudicini. A top class goalie who's as good as any of the Premiership's best, yet content to play 10 matches a year against cup teams and relegation fodder. I ask you, what is he there for? The glory of keeping a clean sheet against the likes of Sunderland and Milwall perhaps?

Mikel MAY have enough self-belief that he'll be good enough to knock off people like Robben or Cole, or any other up and coming talent that keep coming through the revolving doors of Stamford Bridge. If so, fair game to the guy. The chances of that are fairly slim though. What's more likely is that he'll end up another SWP, wasting away his talent sitting on the bench.. while collecting a fat check.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
He still trains with the team every single day. A player develops on the training pitch and implements on game day. Sure, match experience is important but he will get to play eventually. Plus, who in their right mind would choose to "learn" under a fucker like Ferguson when you can develop under a smarter and better manager of a fucker like Mourinho.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Thats extremely harsh on Cudicini, who has been a member of the Chelsea squad since 1999 before Abramovich. Before he made that move he was struggling as a keeper in Serie C. First he was behind De Goey hen he moved there, eventually making a name for himself at Chelsea. Why the hell would he want to leave? Im sure he's fighting as hard as he can for the No. 1 spot and backs himself against any other keeper in the world. He would certainly NOT be content with playing only 10 games a year, neither would SWP. Ive got Komit's back on this one. Perhaps Mikel made the wrong decision with what club he went to, but money wouldnt have been the only factor

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Komit said:
Plus, who in their right mind would choose to "learn" under a fucker like Ferguson when you can develop under a smarter and better manager of a fucker like Mourinho.
Giggs.. Beckham.. Rooney.. Ronaldo.. Scholes. Any of those names ring a bell? :p

bj_Bhoy_87 said:
Why the hell would he want to leave?
You don't think barely playing for 2 years, and pretty much having no hope of ever being first choice again at the club is a good enough reason to leave? I'm not being harsh on Cudicini. The writing's on the wall that unless if Cech suffers some serious, long term injury, he's just not going to play. For a great player like him, to be content with that is to be lacking in any ambition. Of course.. the other possibility is that he's simply very foolish and really believes that if he keeps 'fighting', he'll somehow knock Cech off.

I concede that Mikel mightn't be the same thing, because he's still very young and full of potential. It's probably more likely that he's just made a bad career move.

SWP.. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a transfer in the next 6 months, January if not this transfer window.

Jimmy_B

HSC
manyoo gets 12 mill for a player who never kicked a ball for them? and who they never paid one cent to or for? bloody ridiculous, chelsea have basically brought in 5 players with one leaving, adding a good 400k to their weekly wage bill, not to mention the transfer and signing on fees involved. and they can do this without batting an eyelid.

oh and i agree with benny completely about obi, cudicini and chelsea.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
They had the team in the Herald, it didn't say expected teams, but you know how Hiddink goes. It had Wilkshire starting, I dunno how that's gonna work. I have a feeling Kewell will come off the bench at around the hour mark if he's going to be played.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
manyoo gets 12 mill for a player who never kicked a ball for them? and who they never paid one cent to or for? bloody ridiculous, chelsea have basically brought in 5 players with one leaving, adding a good 400k to their weekly wage bill, not to mention the transfer and signing on fees involved. and they can do this without batting an eyelid.

oh and i agree with benny completely about obi, cudicini and chelsea.
Yup I agree wit Benny too. And the Cuntz must have done somethin fishy and paid us a handy 12mil to keep us quiet. He can rot at Chelsea fo all I care now, good luck tryin to win yo place there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)