Nagative impacts due to choosing ESL english (1 Viewer)

bageshri

HSC
Can choosing ESL English for HSC have a negative impact on a student's UAI?? :mad1:

My teachers encouraged me to choose ESL because i was eligible... But is it true that it can stop me from getting into a good university???

I am really afraid of itz negative impacts... :(
Please help!!!!

HSC
It won't stop you from getting into uni.

It has poor scaling and less than 0.5% get a Band 6
and because two units of English are included to
calculate your UAI, it will do some damage.

Also, while we are talking about scaling, all your
subjects have relatively poor to average scaling.

There are also many other threads like this.

Last edited:

bageshri

HSC
if u were in ma place, wud try adv. eng??
n if i take adv. eng, will it boost ma UAI??
gosh, m soo confused!!!
n thanx for ur help :)

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
gosh, m soo confused!!!
But if you don't do adv. english well, it could lower your UAI. It depends on your english level; If they recommended it, I'd take in their advice. They would know your skill level. ESL scales better then standard english though.

Bacchus

HSC
No, doing ESL won't necessarily have negative impact on your UAI. It is up to how you perform in the subject. However, it will potentially limit your chance towards certain degrees such as Medicine and other courses that have English (Standard) or English (Advanced) as assumed or recommended studies.

It won't stop you from getting into uni.

It has poor scaling and less than 0.5% get a Band 6
and because two units of English are included to
calculate your UAI, it will do some damage.

Also, while we are talking about scaling, all your
subjects have relatively poor to average scaling.

There are also many other threads like this.
Well, in terms of scaled mark, its scaling can be perceieved to be relatively low. But when we specifically talk about "scaling", average scaled mark =/= scaling. So, if you compare aligned -> scaled mark, scaling is quite impressive for the top-ends. Look at this: 48.5/50 -> 50/50 scaled with 46 aligned -> 45.6/50. If you compare this with English (Standard) and English (Advanced), ESL proves to be far better in terms of scaling. However, this only applies to the top end like top few percents.

I would also like to just add that more than 1% get Band 6 in ESL, not less than 0.5%. I think that's far fetched. Check out some scaling reports, it shows that 2-4 get Band 6 in English ESL.

gosh, m soo confused!!!
Okay, you have to bear this in mind: no subject will "boost" your UAI. It's entirely upto how you perform in that subject. Even in the best scaling subject like 4 Unit Mathematics, if you perform badly in it (like bottom 10%), it won't necessarily "boost" your UAI.

Choose your subjects based on this order:
  1. level of interest towards the subject
  2. level of confidence, talent in that subject
  3. the importance of that subject in regards to your desired future career
Scaling should never come into account unless you have two subjects that you have exactly same interest, confidence and talent towards.

Last edited:
HSC
gosh, m soo confused!!!

It won't 'boost' your uai. It just depends on how much work you put in and if it pays off.

If you get 100 for standard as a raw mark, and 80 for advanced as a raw, obviously standard will give you the band 6 even after scaling, whilst the 80 will not.

But say for instance, you get 90 for standard and 85 for advanced as raw, the advanced mark will be higher after scaling.

Edit: Average scaling..

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
less than 0.5% get a Band 6
No, roughly 3% in 2008.

And to add to that, if ESL was that bad, I wouldn't have chosen it. It way better than choosing standard English but if you are confident that you'll do a fantastic job in English, choose advanced lol.

Bacchus

HSC
If you get 100 for standard as a raw mark, and 80 for advanced as a raw, obviously standard will give you the band 6 even after scaling, whilst the 80 will not.
I am not entirely sure that I understand this. What do you mean? Band 6 = 90+ ALIGNED. Band x refers to the aligned mark, not the raw mark. 80 raw can give you band 6 depending on the raw cut-off.

But say for instance, you get 90 for standard and 85 for advanced as raw, the advanced mark will be higher after scaling.

That's not true. Keep in mind that both English have the same scaling procedures taken into account.

HSC
Okay disregard everything I've said..

I should probably go read over everything about this again :haha:

My bad

TBK11

HSC
It won't 'boost' your uai. It just depends on how much work you put in and if it pays off.

Edit: Average scaling..
ehh dont both english stnd and adv scale the same

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I am not entirely sure that I understand this. What do you mean? Band 6 = 90+ ALIGNED. Band x refers to the aligned mark, not the raw mark. 80 raw can give you band 6 depending on the raw cut-off.

That's not true. Keep in mind that both English have the same scaling procedures taken into account.
wait a minute, so advanced and standard english scale the exact same, why the hell did my teacher tell me to do advanced then?

Bacchus

HSC
wait a minute, so advanced and standard english scale the exact same, why the hell did my teacher tell me to do advanced then?
There are many reasons why you were recommended to do English (Advanced) over English (Standard), here is the list:

1. Your desired uni course might have English (Advanced) as either assumed or recommended study
  2. You might be doing English Extension
  3. There is a stigma attached to doing English (Standard) - it is true even though there shouldn't be.
  4. You might like texts you learn in English (Advanced)
  5. You might want to challenge yourself more
  6. Your school may not provide English (Standard)
  7. etc. etc....

Last edited:
HSC
There are many reasons why you were recommended to do English (Advanced) over English (Standard), here is the list:

1. Your desired uni course might have English (Advanced) as either assumed or recommended study
  2. You might be doing English Extension
  3. There is a stigma attached to doing English (Standard) - it is true even though there shouldn't be.
  4. You might like texts you learn in English (Advanced)
  5. You might want to challenge yourself more
  6. Your school may not provide English (Advanced)
  7. etc. etc....
I'm quite sure that all schools must offer every level of english..or am i wrong again? =.=;;
heard it somewher else on this forum

ehh dont both english stnd and adv scale the same
Thank you for pointing out the obvious and repeating what Voluptas said..

I understand completely now that you have gone out of your way to repeat him..

absolutely nooooooooooooooo sarcasm

lol :haha::haha:

Last edited:

Bacchus

HSC
I'm quite sure that all schools must offer every level of english
That's not quite true. Many Selective High Schools such as Ruse, NSBH, NSGH, SGH, SBH that I have come across haven't provided ESL and English (Standard).

Even private school like Sydney Grammar doesn't provide ESL or English (Standard) I heard.

It's important to note that there are great numbers of school that do not even provide ESL even though English (Standard) seems to be provided by most schools around the state.

EDIT: I just realised that I made a mistake on the previous post. I was meant to say "Your school may not provide English (Standard)", please excuse my flaw.

Last edited:
HSC
That's not quite true. Many Selective High Schools such as Ruse, NSBH, NSGH, SGH, SBH that I have come across haven't provided ESL and English (Standard).

Even private school like Sydney Grammar doesn't provide ESL or English (Standard) I heard.

It's important to note that there are great numbers of school that do not even provide ESL even though English (Standard) seems to be provided by most schools around the state.
I go selective and we don't offer it as well.. (subject selection sheet comes with English Advanced already selected) but it does say beneath the course description that some students may be advised to take standard..

Roguedeth

HSC
UAI aim- 99+
HSC subjects:

- ESL english
- Advanced Math
- IPT
- Business Studies
- Visual Art
- Biology

You've got a lot of work to do looking at those subjects

Bacchus

HSC
I go selective and we don't offer it as well.. (subject selection sheet comes with English Advanced already selected) but it does say beneath the course description that some students may be advised to take standard..
Exactly. It might be offered however, there isn't just enough support for English (Standard) from some academcally selective high schools.

HSC
Exactly. It might be offered however, there isn't just enough support for English (Standard) from some academcally selective high schools.
students who attend academically selective high schools are Australian citizens..
(not sure about permanent residents)

So..would it be fair to say that selective high school students would be ineligible?

edit: for esl - this was part of the reply for "That's not quite true. Many Selective High Schools such as Ruse, NSBH, NSGH, SGH, SBH that I have come across haven't provided ESL and English (Standard).

It's important to note that there are great numbers of school that do not even provide ESL even though English (Standard) seems to be provided by most schools around the state"

Last edited:

Bacchus

HSC
students who attend academically selective high schools are Australian citizens..
(not sure about permanent residents)

So..would it be fair to say that selective high school students would be ineligible?
Well, that's right. They are Australian citizens but it does not mean that they are supposed to do English (Advanced) because of that. There are roughly about 30000 students who do English (Standard) and you will see most of them are Australian citizens themselves (well they are Australians).

On the other hand, there are people who do English (Advanced) when they only lived in this country for few years.

So it's not a matter of how long they lived in Australia, it's a matter of how good they are. However, it does not mean that English (Standard) students are worse, I am sure many chose to do English (Standard) with various reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)