Nagative impacts due to choosing ESL english (1 Viewer)

HSC
Well, that's right. They are Australian citizens but it does not mean that they are supposed to do English (Advanced) because of that. There are roughly about 30000 students who do English (Standard) and you will see most of them are Australian citizens themselves (well they are Australians).

On the other hand, there are people who do English (Advanced) when they only lived in this country for few years.

So it's not a matter of how long they lived in Australia, it's a matter of how good they are. However, it does not mean that English (Standard) students are worse, I am sure many chose to do English (Standard) with various reasons.
Yeah..so Aussie citizens cant do ESL..

that was the point i was trying to raise just then..
Sorry about not making that clear..

I'm still trying to find some info about schools having
to offer all english though

edit: there have been classes where ext. 1 english and ext. 2 english have had only like two students

Last edited:

Bacchus

HSC
Yeah..so Aussie citizens cant do ESL..

that was the point i was trying to raise just then
Well you misquoted me then. I was making a post in relation to English (Standard) specifically and after your response (to my quote), I thought you were talking about English (Standard).

However, that's still not totally correct. There are great numbers of immigrants who come to Australia with permanent resident visa (or whatever it's really called). And they gain Australian cititezenship within 2 years or so meaning that they can still do ESL even if they are Australian citizens.

Important thing to note here is that it is not up to whether you have australian citizenship or not, it's entirely up to the number of years you have been in Aus.

HSC
Well you misquoted me then. I was making a post in relation to English (Standard) specifically and after your response (to my quote), I thought you were talking about English (Standard).

However, that's still not totally correct. There are great numbers of immigrants who come to Australia with permanent resident visa (or whatever it's really called). And they gain Australian cititezenship within 2 years or so meaning that they can still do ESL even if they are Australian citizens.

Important thing to note here is that it is not up to whether you have australian citizenship or not, it's entirely up to the number of years you have been in Aus.
No, they would have to apply for permanent residency first and then apply for citizenship. I believe the period between the two applications is two years.

Bacchus

HSC
No, they would have to apply for permanent residency first and then apply for citizenship. I believe the period between the two applications is two years.
I am not sure how our brief conversation went into this matter but you are wrong about permanent residency. There are people who gained permanent residency BEFORE they came to Australia. I myself came to Australia with mys family and we already had permanent residency back then. So I just had to wait for 2 years to get my citizenship.

bored of sc

HSC
Re: Negative impacts due to choosing ESL english

If you do well, scaling is virtually irrelevant.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Can choosing ESL English for HSC have a negative impact on a student's UAI?? :mad1:

My teachers encouraged me to choose ESL because i was eligible... But is it true that it can stop me from getting into a good university???

I am really afraid of itz negative impacts... :(
Please help!!!!
ESL scales good.
i don't think there is particular disadvantage, but
you might encounter some difficulties at uni.

bageshri

HSC
But if you don't do adv. english well, it could lower your UAI. It depends on your english level; If they recommended it, I'd take in their advice. They would know your skill level. ESL scales better then standard english though.
yeah, datz absolutely true...

bageshri

HSC
ESL scales good.
i don't think there is particular disadvantage, but
you might encounter some difficulties at uni.
oh, do u knw wat kind of difficulties..?
n wat if i try standard?? is standard like Heapz bta den ESL??

lou071

HSC
N/A
oh, do u knw wat kind of difficulties..?
n wat if i try standard?? is standard like Heapz bta den ESL??
ESL scales better than English Standard.
if you can do ESL, do ESL as doing ESL rather than english standard
is better in terms of UAI.

and what i meant by difficulties at uni was maybe you will encounter
some difficulties in writing reports or assignments.

TBK11

HSC
wait hold on a second how does ESL Scale better than standard also how does Standard scale better than Advance ehhh,
according to sam Englissh Stnd will scale much better than Advance any reason why?

lou071

HSC
N/A
wait hold on a second how does ESL Scale better than standard also how does Standard scale better than Advance ehhh,
according to sam Englissh Stnd will scale much better than Advance any reason why?
however English Advanced scales way better than English Standard.
i don't know why but this is what my English teacher told me

Bacchus

HSC
lou071, your information is quite flawed. You will have to differentiate between scaled mark and scaling. Strictly speaking, English (Advanced) > ESL > English (Standard) in terms of SCALED MARKS. However, in terms of scaling, English (Advanced) and English (Standard) both have same scaling. At the top ends of the candidature, ESL has a better scaling than both English (Advanced) and (Standard) but in general, both English has higher scaling than ESL.

If you have any doubt, please refer to scaling reports and several other posts by Lazarus & other members who explain quite thoroughly as to how English (Standard) and English (Advanced) have the same scaling.

lou071

HSC
N/A
lou071, your information is quite flawed. You will have to differentiate between scaled mark and scaling. Strictly speaking, English (Advanced) > ESL > English (Standard) in terms of SCALED MARKS. However, in terms of scaling, English (Advanced) and English (Standard) both have same scaling. At the top ends of the candidature, ESL has a better scaling than both English (Advanced) and (Standard) but in general, both English has higher scaling than ESL.

If you have any doubt, please refer to scaling reports and several other posts by Lazarus & other members who explain quite thoroughly as to how English (Standard) and English (Advanced) have the same scaling.
oh, ok. mistaken:)

TBK11

HSC

ah i was right but then why do teachers always say DO English Advance ur mark will be scaled higher a Threat?

Bacchus

HSC
ah i was right but then why do teachers always say DO English Advance ur mark will be scaled higher a Threat?
You have to be aware that many teachers are not very well acquainted with the scaling procedures that take place.

I don't think it's a threat. They just probably don't know and made a wild guess.

bageshri

HSC
UAI aim- 99+
HSC subjects:

- ESL english
- Advanced Math
- IPT
- Business Studies
- Visual Art
- Biology

You've got a lot of work to do looking at those subjects

yeah, i guess u're right..
bwt m really not sure wat field m gona get into...
so i've jus chosen al da subjects i like...

bwt recently, i've developed sum interest in Graphic Designing related field....
so i guess i might hav to go about changin sum courses ;)

bageshri

HSC
if you can do ESL, do ESL as doing ESL rather than english standard
is better in terms of UAI.

and what i meant by difficulties at uni was maybe you will encounter
some difficulties in writing reports or assignments.
oh okay...
i knw wat n mean now ;)
thanx :)

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
lol nagative... and the question regards ESL

oh the hilarity!

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
A kid who did 4 unit Mathematics, Physics, Economics and ESL a couple of years ago got 100 UAI. So I don't think you have to worry at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)