Victorian bushfires (2 Viewers)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That's incongruous. Either all victims of natural disaster deserve a pay out, or none do.
Agreed. Unless there is a large degree of idiocy involved. For instance, building a house in a dry river bed.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think most people knew about the procedures if a bushfire were to approach them. The thing with this fire was that it moved extremely fast because the winds were blasting embers straight into the houses and before they knew it their houses were on fire even though a few minutes ago the front was probably a few kilometres away; so people had little time to evacuate. Same case for those who tried to escape by car but tragically died. The embers were blowing directly towards the cars and pretty much set them alight.
So the only way you could really survive was if you were very lucky or if you left before you saw the front from a distance...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Agreed. Unless there is a large degree of idiocy involved. For instance, building a house in a dry river bed.
In which case we have, in effect, everyone paying The Big Government Insurance Agency for natural disaster insurance, and I can't see how this is better than the current system whereby people are free to take out private insurance if they choose to.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lolling at DT poll: "Vote Now! Should your $950 go to bushfire victims instead?"

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
So the only way you could really survive was if you were very lucky or if you left before you saw the front from a distance...
Of if effective fire management procedures had been adopted.

It's very convenient for these 'environmentalists' to accord blame upon Global Warming for the horrendous conditions. However, they fail to recognise that a fire can only burn as fast as fuel is provided.

If these 'environmentalists' were genuine in their concerns, and were not attempting to utilise the disaster for political expediency, such a recognition would be made.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
That has nothing to do with it. You know nothing about climate science.
speak for yourself.

i purposely try to increase my carbon footprint in the hope that the resulting bushfires will kill people.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
haha i came up with that idea when i was about 5. i thought i was going to end world poverty.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Of if effective fire management procedures had been adopted.

It's very convenient for these 'environmentalists' to accord blame upon Global Warming for the horrendous conditions. However, they fail to recognise that a fire can only burn as fast as fuel is provided.

If these 'environmentalists' were genuine in their concerns, and were not attempting to utilise the disaster for political expediency, such a recognition would be made.
wth are you on about...? As far as I'm aware no 'environmentalist' is using this disaster for political points...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I don't know about Federally, but the local Greens in up in the mid-north coast (near Port Macquarie) are very against backburning and fuel-reduction burns in local national parks, such that it doesn't happen.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know about Federally, but the local Greens in up in the mid-north coast (near Port Macquarie) are very against backburning and fuel-reduction burns in local national parks, such that it doesn't happen.
These policies have proven prudent. Nobody has died in fires near Port Macquarie.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Nope, but the NPs up there are scarily full of fuel and junk. Tinderbox waiting to happen.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
wth are you on about...? As far as I'm aware no 'environmentalist' is using this disaster for political points...
Victoria fires: 173 dead, towns ruined, police chase arsonists | National | News.com.au

For the first time, Mr Brumby linked the fires to global warming: "There's clear evidence now that the climate is becoming more extreme."
Scientists warned us this was going to happen | smh.com.au

And here they are. The fires of Saturday were not "once in 1000 years" or even "once in 100 years" events, as our political leaders keep repeating. They were the face of climate change.
Fires, floods pressure Australia govt on climate | Reuters

"In a nutshell we can say the heatwaves and the fires we've seen in Victoria recently maybe partly due to climate change through the contribution of increased temperature.

"Going forward, we anticipate there will be continued increases in greenhouse gases and that locks in a certain amount of warming, and in the case of southern Australia further drying, and this will increase the fire weather risk."

boris

Banned
HSC
Neb is actually a complete retard.

lol all of australia is equally bush fire prone.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
waf said:
In which case we have, in effect, everyone paying The Big Government Insurance Agency for natural disaster insurance, and I can't see how this is better than the current system whereby people are free to take out private insurance if they choose to.
eh, you throw your money into a big pot which is used for all sorts of things, some being directed towards disaster relief if necessary

or

you throw your money into a smaller pot which is used to either sit there, or fund disaster relief

there's a difference.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
He's clearly a terrorist also. Instilling fear of God driven bushfires for the sake of his religious views!

boris

Banned
HSC
He's clearly a terrorist also. Instilling fear of God driven bushfires for the sake of his religious views!
Do you actually believe any of the stuff you say? Do you actually act like this irl? Did you get bashed a lot in high school>?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)