• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
right, infact i do have a problem. I will not try and stop you beliving your belifs but i have certain belif which i think everybody should share, "The world wasn't made in a few weeks!", In other words this world wasn't made in 6000 years or something either, look at the fossil records and don't say something silly like the dinosaurs came from uranus, or that they were your gods pets.​
Woah. This shit starts on the left. I feel Chinese reading that.

HSC
N/A
god created earth in 7 days. i asked the guy at the mosque why did it take god 7 days...after all he is god, shouldn't take more than 1 day. LOL the guy replies....god needs time...LOL.

shit reply is shit.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
6 days*

The same period of time it took for Israel to take The West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights.
Ergo, Israel = God!
Finally! We have a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict!

Cisco-Kid

HSC
(moved from the "non-school" section)

anyway........
Id like to have a religious discussion with some christians here. As an atheist, (im meant to be anglican) id like some convincing arguments for why i should even believe that there is a god.
im very content with my lack of belief and i have read my fair share of the bible. im not one of those teenage morons rebeling against my parents. i believe everyone is entitled to what they believe in. (or lack of belief)

i actually believed in god at a certain point in my life, but i just cant live with the fact of people taking comfort into thinking that their current life is just a pit-stop to a better life (in the after life)
i dont wanna live my life thinking its a test from god. wheather im worthy to go to heaven or any other nonsense like that.

to me, religion is nothing more than a set of rituals and beliefs. its what man created in hope of gaining some sort of "understanding" and control of the nature of god. This is why there are so many different religions.....(am i persuading anyone yet?)

i just think religion, (especially christianity) is hypocricy at its worst.
examples from the bible -

ON GOD`S JEALOUSY

1.) "God is love." 1 John 4:8.

2.) "Love is not jealous." 1 Cor 13:4

3.) "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God." Exodus 20:5.

4.) The Christian god cannot logically exist.

ON THE GARDEN OF EDEN

1.) God is omniscient (all knowing)

2.) God knew that before he created man that they would eat of the tree of knowledge.

3.) God placed the tree of knowledge in the Garden anyway.

4.) God wanted sin to enter the world.

(If God didn`t want sin to enter the world, why create Adam and Eve at all? He knew what would happen. Why place the forbidden trees in the Garden in the first place?)

if god is all knowing and loving, he wouldnt have created satan. (he wouldve known that satan was gonna betray him and create hell, where all the "bad" people suffer in the afterlife)

i can ramble on and on, but id like to hear your religious views and hopefully we can have a stimulating argument that can benefit us both without any conflict arising :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
ON GOD`S JEALOUSY
4.) The Christian god cannot logically exist.[/FONT][/COLOR]
I'm a rather militant atheist, and I gotta say, that's a pretty poor argument, my friend.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
ON GOD`S JEALOUSY

4.) The Christian god cannot logically exist.

But He can. God is omnipotent, as well as omniscient. Do you honestly think that a mere contradiction in the petty English language (of which the original text was not even written in) is going to stop He who can create energy and matter from a vast expanse of nothingness?

ON THE GARDEN OF EDEN

1.) God is omniscient (all knowing)

2.) God knew that before he created man that they would eat of the tree of knowledge.

3.) God placed the tree of knowledge in the Garden anyway.

4.) God wanted sin to enter the world.

(If God didn`t want sin to enter the world, why create Adam and Eve at all? He knew what would happen. Why place the forbidden trees in the Garden in the first place?)

Let us here hypothesise upon the outcome were He to not have placed the tree in the garden.
If He hadn't placed the tree, then He would have been doing so to protect us from our own folly. As logically follows then, He must be forever afterwards obligated to protect us from all potential folly that was to come. In essence, He would have had to lock us within the garden for eternity and deny us any resemblance of free-will to choose our own lives and to learn from our mistakes.
But God loved His creations, and did not wish them to become emotionless slaves within His house. So He, in all His mercy, gave them a choice, even though He knew which one they would choose. He did not create the sin, but merely prevented it from happening, such that His children could live far better lives.
Think of it like a father whose young child desires to buy their own home and move out of their current abode with the father. The father knows that the child will not be able to make it in the world on their own, but still allows him to, with the promise that he will love and support them, no matter what comes about. When these bad things do happen to the child, the father looks on with pity and remorse, yet knows that his child is free to choose their life and will always be welcomed back into the house of their creator, so long as the child can humble themselves in order to make such a choice.

if god is all knowing and loving, he wouldnt have created satan. (he wouldve known that satan was gonna betray him and create hell, where all the "bad" people suffer in the afterlife)
It appears here that you are taking the Bible literally. But to me, Satan represents only an idea. He is temptation and sin personified, and it is only through man's baser nature that such an idea is even possible.
Whilst God undoubtedly shines as the source of all light, Satan is not the source of darkness in this world. He is merely the name given to it. For darkness is only an absence of light, not a seperate entity, in constant battle with it. Darkness only comes about when we humans turn away from the light offered to us and instead start staring at our own shadows.

Cisco-Kid

HSC
I'm a rather militant atheist, and I gotta say, that's a pretty poor argument, my friend.
how is it? hear me out. basically love is NOT jealous, yet god is jealous, then God can`t be love. But if god IS love he cannot be jealous. Be he is. Yahweh cannot possibly exist if he has both the attributes of love and jealousy.

JB10

HSC
how is it? hear me out. basically love is NOT jealous, yet god is jealous, then God can`t be love. But if god IS love he cannot be jealous. Be he is. Yahweh cannot possibly exist if he has both the attributes of love and jealousy.
Wow, that is a pathetic argument.. So you are literally saying that god is love?
God ISN'T LOVE. God is god.

tycho

HSC

If He hadn't placed the tree, then He would have been doing so to protect us from our own folly. As logically follows then, He must be forever afterwards obligated to protect us from all potential folly that was to come. In essence, He would have had to lock us within the garden for eternity and deny us any resemblance of free-will to choose our own lives and to learn from our mistakes.
But God loved His creations, and did not wish them to become emotionless slaves within His house. So He, in all His mercy, gave them a choice, even though He knew which one they would choose. He did not create the sin, but merely prevented it from happening, such that His children could live far better lives.
If he can create energy and matter from a vast expanse of nothingness, surely he could have done something else? After all, he is omnipotent, and therefore not limited to two options.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It makes little sense to impose our limited advances in logic and reason upon the divine - not that yours makes much sense anyway. There is much we do not know, much that will always remain a mystery - such as the indivisible oneness of the trinity. Any perceived inconsistencies should be met with a determination to know more of God, to strengthen your relationship with Him and faith in Him - not to simply dismiss the whole thing as a wretched farce; this would be a great sin.

JB10

HSC
alright, why dont we live under the jewish law? its in the bible. its gods word...

jesus came to fix the mistakes of god...who is "perfect?"
God didn't write the bible.. There are quite a few contradictions in it, that hardly means there is no god.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If he can create energy and matter from a vast expanse of nothingness, surely he could have done something else? After all, he is omnipotent, and therefore not limited to two options.
No.
There are only two options, both of which are mutually exclusive. He either creates the fruit, or doesn't create it. There is no third option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)