Reasons for compulsory english (2 Viewers)

P.T.F.E

HSC
i will always argue the point it is a waste of time witht his syllabus unless someone gives me one hell of a good reason

SO WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO ENGLISH!

smp211

HSC
We should at least have a choice between taking English language and English literature like the British system.

I am never going to be analysing the poetic techniques when i move forward into a job after school - it is really a stupid system.

Or they should make English not compulsorily included in the UAI, but you still have to do it in school in its current form.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
This thread should be closed down.

There are so many threads on this.

OP, learn to use SEARCH function. We don't need like 10 threads on one topic.

P.T.F.E

HSC
lol, its so asians dont do as well and dont get all the high uais
ok you have given me a sufficient answer.

but seriously i wouldn't mind if we were learning how to structure excellent essays and other writing techniques but by now it is all assumed knowledge.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It also gives the markers a course which everyone does, therefore giving a basis for the scaling and adjusting.

its so asians dont do as well
lol. But there's no way you'll get this answer from the Board Of Studies. :D

P.T.F.E

HSC
It also gives the markers a course which everyone does, therefore giving a basis for the scaling and adjusting.

yes but this is not fair as mathematical brains don't comprehend the bull of english.

you would think that maths would be compulsory if english like honestly.
its worse at my school to because Studies of Religion is compulsory, its such a bludge honestly you can top it with about half an hour study before an exam, trust me... major waste of time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
you would think that maths would be compulsory if english like honestly
Personally, I think language skills are more important than HSC Maths skills. There is some pretty irrelevent stuff in the coursework. Although I'm sure similar things could be argued for English.

P.T.F.E

HSC
Personally, I think language skills are more important than HSC Maths skills. There is some pretty irrelevent stuff in the coursework. Although I'm sure similar things could be argued for English.
they probably would be as useless as each other but i wish they would just recognise that there is two types of brains a creative, essay writing word based brain and a logical mathematical scientific brain and im not saying if your good at one your shit at the other but really im sick of bull shiting on about the comparison of two texts and the concepts of belonging displayed.

lychnobity

HSC
they probably would be as useless as each other but i wish they would just recognise that there is two types of brains a creative, essay writing word based brain and a logical mathematical scientific brain and im not saying if your good at one your shit at the other but really im sick of bull shiting on about the comparison of two texts and the concepts of belonging displayed.
You forgot the third one. There are people who are good at both.

But needless to say, recognising the "two types of brain" is useless anyhow. English is the language of Australia, it makes sense for it to be compulsory.

Critical thinking skills are also developed.

lolokay

HSC
they probably would be as useless as each other but i wish they would just recognise that there is two types of brains a creative, essay writing word based brain and a logical mathematical scientific brain
what you trynna say? that math/science brains aren't creative? :mad: :mad: :mad:

english sux but most other subjects probably do too

P.T.F.E

HSC
I thought i would get in trouble for saying that, it was generalised. and i said that there are some good at both but people usually turn to one more. We speak english yes but the HSC english advanced course expects you to have the assumed knowledge so we are not learning anything really.
Critical thinking and research developed in other subjects as well.
To be a compulsory UAI is a joke.
It has been revealed that creative writing task is a joke the markers cannot come to an agreement on opinions some go through about 4 or 5 markers just to finalise a mark because they differ so much, creative writing is being scrapped.

P.T.F.E

HSC
what you trynna say? that math/science brains aren't creative? :mad: :mad: :mad:

english sux but most other subjects probably do too
and english brains arent logical? im am not saying that at all.
just fit nicely in the sentence but i meant creative like to articulate an amazing essay or response.

Schoey93

HSC
they probably would be as useless as each other but i wish they would just recognize that there is two types of brains a creative, essay writing word based brain and a logical mathematical scientific brain and im not saying if your good at one your shit at the other but really im sick of bull shiting on about the comparison of two texts and the concepts of belonging displayed.
Um. Mathematics is not logical. Well, it is logical at its very core, at its heart, yes of course mathematics is logical. But oh, it can be SO much more.

Mathematics is the oldest (human) art form. It has survived the ages, dating back to the days of the ancient Egyptians (and the ancient Greeks, let's not forget Pythagoras!). :)

Mathematics, as an organic whole, is a creative, interesting subject that has been cherished throughout the ages for what it is: a series of mental, and sometimes physical, processes used to come to a solution. And it is NOT the solution that is mathematically important, more important is HOW YOU GOT THERE, what process you used to reach your neat conclusion.

Sorry, I have had a little rant just now. Sorry. I am just sick to death of students of mathematics who do not even realize what true mathematics is about: a journey, an imaginative, or physical journey of the mind and body to solve problems, to achieve advanced in technology and to reach common human goals! Mathematics is, and always will be, close to my heart. If only more high school mathematics teachers were as good as mine (Mrs Dianne Lowery). She understands what maths truly IS, what it always has being about (PROCESSES, not results!) and she fosters in the more gifted and interested students, a deep appreciation of, and a healthy respect for Trigonometry, data analysis, number theory, consumer arithmetic, CALCULUS (fascinating!)...

Have a good night.
James

Real Madrid

HSC
Um. Mathematics is not logical. Well, it is logical at its very core, at its heart, yes of course mathematics is logical. But oh, it can be SO much more.

Mathematics is the oldest (human) art form. It has survived the ages, dating back to the days of the ancient Egyptians (and the ancient Greeks, let's not forget Pythagoras!). :)

Mathematics, as an organic whole, is a creative, interesting subject that has been cherished throughout the ages for what it is: a series of mental, and sometimes physical, processes used to come to a solution. And it is NOT the solution that is mathematically important, more important is HOW YOU GOT THERE, what process you used to reach your neat conclusion.

Sorry, I have had a little rant just now. Sorry. I am just sick to death of students of mathematics who do not even realize what true mathematics is about: a journey, an imaginative, or physical journey of the mind and body to solve problems, to achieve advanced in technology and to reach common human goals! Mathematics is, and always will be, close to my heart. If only more high school mathematics teachers were as good as mine (Mrs Dianne Lowery). She understands what maths truly IS, what it always has being about (PROCESSES, not results!) and she fosters in the more gifted and interested students, a deep appreciation of, and a healthy respect for Trigonometry, data analysis, number theory, consumer arithmetic, CALCULUS (fascinating!)...

Have a good night.
James

lawl retard

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
lawl retard
Agreed.

physical journey of the mind and body to solve problems, to achieve advanced in technology and to reach common human goals
What the fuck? You've proved you can be retarded in both english AND maths....

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
ok you have given me a sufficient answer.

but seriously i wouldn't mind if we were learning how to structure excellent essays and other writing techniques but by now it is all assumed knowledge.
If it's already assumed knowledge then why are you complaining? You should be able to get 100% in English since you already know everything.

P.T.F.E

HSC
If it's already assumed knowledge then why are you complaining? You should be able to get 100% in English since you already know everything.

i said it was ASSUMED doesnt mean i know it, thats my whole friggen point they expevt u to annalyse and write an essay and be fantastic, instead of teaching structuure. i don't fail, im probs heading for an 85 or something but i dont need this subject!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)